2002 Dodge Ram 2500 starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4x4 V8 Gas
Engine
magnum 360
I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas 4 door, that after it warms up dies and will not start up. No fuel pump or gas gauge working. Will start after it sits for many hours and then die again after warm up. Have had the PCM sent in for repairs and still the same. When the truck is running after a bit it will sound funny like no gas going into it and then will die. The gas gauge and fuel pump stop working. I also noticed when i hook up a code reader to data port (get no codes at all ) with engine running the data cables get very hot, i mean very hot. Not good huh. They tell me at the repair PCM shop that this is a common problem for the PCM's on the didge ram trucks. They want me to send the PCM back for further testing and repair. Said they couls have missed something. They did after repair do a burn in test on the PCM and all seemed fine. The PCM from what I have read is the problem on a no start after warm up. I can have the truck running for 10 min till die or even 20 min it depends on, I don't know what. Any suggestions?? This truck did the same thing long ago and I replaced the crankshaft sensor on it. It ran fine for about 6 months. Could the crankshaft sensor be causing this issue esp.. with the fuel pump and digital gas gauge not working after it dies. ??

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Also I have checked the fuel pump connector for power and no power 12V, I am only getting max 0.02>. So I guess that means the repair on the ECM didn't go right.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Have tested all sensors for 5v and all show 5v. After I plug back in the fuel pump power, the truck started and ran for about 10 min then died and would not start again. Now am really believing the PCM is not working correctly. Have made arrangements to send it in again for repairs. But it's hard to remove it now for it is raining big time. Will keep ya all posted after I get it back from repair shop. Also I have been getting an ABS light on all the time. Will have to check my ABS sensors at some point.

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well I read a paragraph about a similar situation in a Dakota somewhere else and it states that the crank sensor was bad. The dealer installed a newer version of that same sensor which, in essence Dakota Crank Sensor 2.0 and yes there is differences between trucks but it may suggest in this situation which I am also experiencing in a 2001 Ram 2500 SLT Lariat that we just acquired (and will add to my list [yes, I still have the 1986 D250] of vehicles) and has the same issues listed to the utmost similarity, that the stock, factory installed crank sensor is engineered badly and a replacement, updated and more reliable version is available if such item actually exists. So finding the updated, non-generic version is crucial to getting the sensor to perform longer. I'll be letting y'all know what happens.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Well have gotten the ECM back and they said no additional problems noted. Plugged it in and same thing no start. Just like I have done many times before, pulled and plugged back in the crankshaft sensor and wait for it. It started fine and has sense started every single time. So i guess the sensor i replaced 8-10 months ago is either the problem or the wire harness somewhere. Have received a new one today and will have to install it. They are a bytch to replace. Fingers crossed lol

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
OK, so replaced the crankshaft sensor and still the same, no gas gauge no start. Turns out the connector i thought was the crankshaft sensor was the pickup coil in the distributor. Went and bought a new one and so far all seems fine. It runs it works. Now to put it all back together, had to remove the passenger side fender and all. Gave up for tonight, it was given me difficulty's on putting the fender back on. After this comes the ABS light on problem.... Cheers

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
and yes i probably didn't need to replace the crank sensor ole well

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
So here is the latest up on this truck. Replaced the pickup coil in the distributor and all seemed fine. Started and drove it for awhile. Went out today to start it and it started fine, within a few minutes it died and would not start. Same problem again. Also this time I noticed that the lights on the instrument cluster some would light up and then it would change to all light up. Then only the brake and abs light would work. Then also noticed the buzzer for seat belt not buckled would not work. So after a few try's starting it, it would start and then die right away. This truck has gotten me confused. So question is, could my distributor have gotten out of sync or whatever you would call it. I have replaced long ago the router and distributor cover and all spark plug wires. Maybe a short somewhere? Have check all sensors for 5volts and when it runs or would start i will get the 5v reading. When it won't start readings would be 2-4 volts and sometimes even less. Call me really confused now lol

Also could the ignition switch be making this happen Thanks all......

95ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Check you're ignition switch take the covers off and look to see if it is burnt mine would actually get really hot when driving

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
I have remove the ignition switch and i do not see or smell anything burnt. Is there a way to have mine tested to see if it is faulty? Cause new one's are almost a $100

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
So i went ahead and replaced the Ignition switch and it started right up....... Then died a few moments later.. So when I was wiggling the wires to the ignition switch all of a sudden i get a no bus on mileage indicator, so know thats got me thinking when they install an alarm system about a 1 1/2 year ago might have got a lose connection somewhere. I will have to trace some wires and see if indeed I have a short somewhere, but you would think that if i do have a short, then the alarm would either act up or not work.... Gonna go searching when i can....

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If you had an alarm installed on the truck, I would definitely check the connections between the alarm hardware and the BCM/CTM and PCM. Make sure all the solder connections and wire splices are good. If the BCM/CTM and PCM cannot communicate, you will see the "NO BUS" code on the the odometer... Most of the time this points to a bad PCM, however you have had that repaired. The alarm being installed on the truck however could cause the same issue if something is loose or not connected properly.

I think you're on the right track with that.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Lets start with this
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2002-dodge-ram-fuel-pump-problems.146069/
This is the new thread I started on the no start with fuel pump and gas gauge not working.
So if this CTM is not communicating with the ecm, will that cause the no start? I have also noticed that when I plug in a code scanner the cables get really hot. Check the odb2 port and have found that pin 5 signal ground is showing voltage. less that 8 volts. Thats bad huh? I have pulled the CTM and will have to check the wiring that the alarm company did, but too dark right now. I had them hook up the door locks to lock when key is turned on. Don't know if that's where they connected to (CTM) but when I pulled the CTM and turned the key on the doors locked, so looks like they connected a different way. I will let you know what I find out soon. Thanks

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Have check all connections that were hooked up for alarm and all seem fine, even pulled the CTM out of course with battery neg removed and even took out the cluster, saw no loose connections even wiggle the wires, still no go. No problems found... With key on pin 5 ODB2 port has less than 8 volts to it, which is bad. So i am looking for a hot to ground wire some where, just can't find out where....................

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
now have found that the pin 5 odb2 port which has less than 8 volts to it ( which is signal ground ) if i unplug black ecm connector the voltage goes away. They say my truck should have a grey black and white connector to ecm, but i have black white black. I unplugged the far right black plug to ecm. I was able to start the truck by jumping pins 4 and 5 on odb2 port but found that the paper clip i used was getting to hot and started melting the plastic, so won't do that again....

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
So i know if i plug in a code scanner the cable because of pin 5 ODB2 port will get the cable really hot. But I decided to plug in reader and remove before it got to hot and I'll be damn the truck started right up. But removed code reader and the truck died. Weird huh.............

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
You might need to trace your wire harness end to end... you might have a bare wire in there somewhere putting voltage on that ground. Also verify all of your ground wires. The major ones are under the battery and somewhere behind the a/c compressor if I recall. There may be another one hiding somewhere else in the cab.Make sure they are good and clean, no corrosion.

The code reader is probably absorbing the voltage on that ground just enough that the PCM can function properly.

Have you downloaded a service manual for the truck yet? It has a ton of wiring information that would be helpful.

Also, are you seeing voltage on any of the sensor grounds? If the voltage is carrying over to the sensors, it could be the reason why the truck wont start (specifically the crank sensor and the cam sensor). The easiest ground and signal wires to check are on the TPS on the side of the throttle. I have also read something where the ground wires running down to the transmission sensors can rub bare and put unwanted voltage on the system. I will try to find some of the information I used to diagnose my no start issue.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Thanks for the info, i decided to send the truck into the dealer service dept. Can't really afford it, but we have neighbors around here that are really into spying on people and more than likely they will soon if not already call the city and complain. Even though it is parked in the driveway and registered, they have done this to another neighbor and the city sent them a letter to fix it or remove the car. My truck has been sitting in the driveway for a few months now and i expect this bull to happen to me soon.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Well, that stinks.... I'm glad my neighbors are cool with me working on my vehicles. Also helps that I help them out with there vehicles from time to time.

Good luck and post back to and let us know what they find.

OP
OP
M

mjmplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 360
Well the truck has been at the dodge dealership sense Wed the 17th and they still have not done a damn thing to it. Saying they only have so many mechanics that work on that early of a year. They don't get to it today and i will have it towed somewhere else. And to think I had to make an appointment to bring it in. Haa haa haa haa what a joke...................