2002 Ram 1500 Beater...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
My soon to be ex decided to go get a beater 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for my 16 year old son. What I mean by a beater, it should be a truck that is only seen on a farm. Missing exhaust, missing the OEM Air box, cluster doesn't light up at night, AC is hot wired to a switch that only turns on the blower, and so much more.

I am look for parts for it and wanted to make sure I am getting the right ones. How can I tell if its a 4.7L or a 5.2L? What is the differences between the 2nd Gen 2002 and the 3rd Gen 2002?

Any of you have a OEM air box they are willing to sell? I am not really wanting to buy the truck a new CAI, but might if the prices are the same for a used OEM Air box.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
699403076.jpg699403739.jpg699403723.jpg699403751.jpg

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First of all, start with a factory build sheet for info on the truck, powertrain, options, etc...

Plug in the VIN here:

Equipment Listing

There should be an emissions sticker on the radiator core support which lists the engine size in liters.

As far as OEM parts I'd check in with Benny at AllMoparParts.com and check out Rock Auto's website as well.

I am not certain but I believe the 2nd gen powertrain options carried over to the 2002/3rd gen body style trucks. The engines for the 1500 included a 3.7L/210-hp SOHC V-6 or a 4.7L/235-hp SOHC V-8. The third, and largest, is the holdover 5.9L/245-hp OHV V-8. The 5.7L/345-hp HEMI didn't show up in the 3rd gen pickup line until 2004.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
First of all, start with a factory build sheet for info on the truck, powertrain, options, etc...

Plug in the VIN here:

Equipment Listing

There should be an emissions sticker on the radiator core support which lists the engine size in liters.

As far as OEM parts I'd check in with Benny at AllMoparParts.com and check out Rock Auto's website as well.

I am not certain but I believe the 2nd gen powertrain options carried over to the 2002/3rd gen body style trucks. The engines for the 1500 included a 3.7L/210-hp SOHC V-6 or a 4.7L/235-hp SOHC V-8. The third, and largest, is the holdover 5.9L/245-hp OHV V-8. The 5.7L/345-hp HEMI didn't show up in the 3rd gen pickup line until 2004.

Thanks Maddog! I'll check it all out.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get rid of it. 2002 3rd gens were kind of electrical weirdos. Barring that:
My soon to be ex decided to go get a beater 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for my 16 year old son. What I mean by a beater, it should be a truck that is only seen on a farm. Missing exhaust, missing the OEM Air box, cluster doesn't light up at night, AC is hot wired to a switch that only turns on the blower, and so much more.

I am look for parts for it and wanted to make sure I am getting the right ones. How can I tell if its a 4.7L or a 5.2L? What is the differences between the 2nd Gen 2002 and the 3rd Gen 2002?

Any of you have a OEM air box they are willing to sell? I am not really wanting to buy the truck a new CAI, but might if the prices are the same for a used OEM Air box.
5.2 didn't carry over to the 3rd gen (was replaced by the 4.7); that's a 5.9/360.
3rd gen 2002 is a 1500 (½ ton); the 2500/3500 3rd gens weren't introduced until 2003. A 2002 2500/3500 is a 2nd gen.
Junkyard or eBay for the stock airbox.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The bungee cord battery hold down is priceless.
Tiedown bolt probably froze and someone ended up snapping it. This is what happens when someone doesn't wanna fix things correctly lol.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Tiedown bolt probably froze and someone ended up snapping it. This is what happens when someone doesn't wanna fix things correctly lol.
Yea, and the ****** is that the bungee cord may hold it from tumbling, but it doesn't contain the jarring and vibrations that will destroy the battery in short order. Those hold-down bolts are tightened up for a reason.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
Yea, and the ****** is that the bungee cord may hold it from tumbling, but it doesn't contain the jarring and vibrations that will destroy the battery in short order. Those hold-down bolts are tightened up for a reason.

Yep, planning on getting that as well.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
4.7 have teh A/c where the Alternator is located. 5.9 have them where this one is shown, drivers side.

Pick it yourself junkyards for most of the parts.
just grab your tool box and take kids wagon out with you.
load up on odds & ends, with y our kid in tow and most of those guys will discount heavily,
just seeing another gear head being born.

Used that trick, for decades, would grab Nephews, Cousins, you name it.
They'd have fun, crawling around the cars, while I wrenched off parts.
My wallet enjoyed the discounts.
just scruff adn spread some dust on the kids clothes before you go back to get yoru totals.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
4.7 have teh A/c where the Alternator is located. 5.9 have them where this one is shown, drivers side.

Pick it yourself junkyards for most of the parts.
just grab your tool box and take kids wagon out with you.
load up on odds & ends, with y our kid in tow and most of those guys will discount heavily,
just seeing another gear head being born.

Used that trick, for decades, would grab Nephews, Cousins, you name it.
They'd have fun, crawling around the cars, while I wrenched off parts.
My wallet enjoyed the discounts.
just scruff adn spread some dust on the kids clothes before you go back to get yoru totals.

For sure! Definitely a fun time will be had!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963