2003 1500 backup alarm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

art_vandelay

Reaction score
Ram Year
does anyone know how i might go about disabling a backup alarm that beeps when i put the truck in reverse? i bought the truck about a month ago and didnt really mind it, but i got a backup camera installed so i dont think the alarm is necessary. i just dont know where on the truck it would be installed.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you mean an alert from the backup camera as you are approaching an object? Or a "beep-beep-beep" like a heavy truck backing up? (I never knew RAMs had that)

Are you an importer only? No exporting?

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry...It was a reference to Art Vandelay....
What year/model truck? I never knew that was an option but I would think you can disable it somewhere in the menu.

OP
OP
A

art_vandelay

Reaction score
Ram Year
haha i am very disappointed in myself for not picking up on that reference.

well it is a 2003 so it is an aftermarket piece.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not a factory option. Can you tell where it's coming from? Does it sound like it's under the truck or maybe coming from one of the taillights?

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
does anyone know how i might go about disabling a backup alarm that beeps when i put the truck in reverse? i bought the truck about a month ago and didnt really mind it, but i got a backup camera installed so i dont think the alarm is necessary. i just dont know where on the truck it would be installed.

It's normally wired directly from one of the backup lights in the tail light assemblies. As noted, you can push the parking brake so the truck will not roll, scotch the wheels in case the parking brake isn't set right, turn the key to the "On" position without starting, put the gear selector in reverse, and the backup alarm should sound. Then follow the sound to the alarm.

At that point, if me, I would put the truck back in park, turn off the key and then follow the wires from the alarm back to the tail light. Then I would cut them there and seal the splices on the tail light wiring with electrical tape. Or better, I would use liquid electrical tape to keep water out. Once the wiring is unattached, I'd remove the alarm.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure this is mounted somewhere near, and under the back of the truck. There is usually two wires that go to them, so just remove one of the wires. If you want to keep it and use at times, just put in a simple SPST switch inline on one of the wires. It should be easy to find, turn the ignition on, set the e-brake, and place the truck in reverse.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They may have jumped power from the trailer light wires , I’ve seen ones that plug into light socket.