2003 Ram 1500 Airbag Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,

First off, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. These forums are full of great information and I hope to be able to contribute! Below is my issue:

I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7L Hemi. The truck has high miles but is in pretty decent shape considering its age. When I looked at it, the check engine light was on (which later turned out to be emissions codes - something I'll get into later) but my cheap scanner that I brought with me couldn't read them at the time.

Anyway, I drove it home (about an hour and a half drive) without any issues and I drove it around for about 2 weeks as well - I didn't drive it much but when I did, I didn't have any issues. One day I got in and started the truck and the airbag light came on and stayed on after the self check - so now I've been chasing the problem and I hope y'all can help me.

I ended up buying a scanner - the Ancel FX4000 - from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-Automo...1&keywords=ancel+fx4000&qid=1627484114&sr=8-5

The scanner works OK on my truck and when I scanned the SRS system, I received 2 errors:

2 - Driver squib #1 circuit open
9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground

No, I didn't get any sort of letter and 4 digit code, just what you see above. Here's what I did so far:

1. - I replaced the clock spring with a used OEM clock spring off eBay. After replacing that, the codes returned the next time I turned the key to run even after clearing them.
2. - I did an OHM test on the airbag module itself. The test returned a reading of 2.1 OHMS which (from what I've read) should indicate the airbag is good. I did check and it was replaced in the recall.
3. - Made sure all the plugs to the SRS module under the cup holder were secure. I even unplugged them and plugged them back in.
4. - Tested my old clock spring (the one I bought from eBay is still in the truck right now) and the old clock spring tested good even when simulating turning.
5. - Replaced the wiring harness between the clock spring and airbag as one came with the clock spring I bought on eBay.
6. - Checked wiring under the seats (no airbags there but I made sure everything was plugged in just in case it was something with the seat belt lock).
7. - Checked the 2 fuses under the hood. Both are good.

I'm feel like I'm chasing gremlins - and I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a continuity test on the wires from the clock spring to the SRS module under the cup holders? I'd also like to take the SRS module out from under the cup holders but I haven't had success removing the cup holders in order to get access to the module.

Does anyone know if there's something I'm overlooking? I don't want to keep replacing unnecessary parts if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK - what I decided to do is buy a new aftermarket clockspring (Dorman) from my local auto parts store. I should have it tonight and I'll try putting that in to see if the issue is resolved with a new clockspring... I guess it may be possible that the used OEM one is defective as well as my original one. I'll update the thread to let y'all know the outcome of the new one.

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update to this - so I removed the used OEM clockspring that I bought on eBay and installed a brand new Dorman clockspring. I reinstalled everything and hooked up the battery. The airbag light came back on. With my scanner, I cleared the SRS codes - now I was able to "clear" them before but they would come back on immediately when I shut the truck off and turned the key back to the ON position. So that's exactly what I did... turned the key off and turned it back on. This time the airbag light stayed off. I still had my scanner hooked up so I checked for active codes and there weren't any. About 30 seconds later, I heard an extra "ding" and saw the airbag light come on. Needless to say, I was not happy... but then the light turned back off. I checked the active codes and it still shows there aren't any. I checked the stored codes and it shows the #9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground. I cleared the codes again and then checked both the active and stored codes and both were blank. I did the same procedure - turned the key off, waited 5 seconds and turned the key back on. Again the airbag light turned off after the initial checking sequence (before it would come on immediately after the normal 5 dings). About 30 seconds later though, I heard that extra ding and the airbag light came on for a couple of seconds and turned back off. Checking the active codes, the scanner shows none. Checking the stored codes and the scanner shows #9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground.

I am hoping that this code is something that will go away after so many cycles of the key turning on and off. What's weird is that I can clear the code and then go back and rescan my stored codes and it's gone. It's after cycling the key that it comes back as a stored code. There could be some sort of limitation on my scanner and how it "clears" the code (as in that it isn't actually clearing it) or the code is stored somewhere and keeps telling the SRS module that it was detected at one point in time.

All in all, I *believe* I may have resolved the airbag issue (for now - LOL) but I'll keep an eye on it and update the thread accordingly.

Thanks to all who took a look at my posts.

9chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent, detailed post! I'll be checking back for updates. I'm having the same issue with my 05 (as you know lol).

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So... After replacing the clockspring, my airbag light went out but when starting the truck, I would get a delayed extra "ding" and the light would come on briefly and then go off. I would also experience issues with the light coming on when driving and when I turned the wheel (the sign of a bad clockspring but mine is new), it would go off so I figured there was a broken wire. The other day I was driving and the light came on - so I reached under the column and tried wiggling the wires. After doing that, the airbag light would not go off even after turning the wheel.

I had some time yesterday afternoon which became a day of taking apart 75% of the dash to attempt to trace wires for the airbag. A rescan of the SRS with my scan tool gave me the same 2 codes I originally started with: 2 - Driver squib #1 circuit open and 9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground. I started looking at the wires and I could tell they were back probed previous to me getting my hands on the truck... Great. I went back and checked all fuses. All fuses were good. I pulled the connector from the airbag control module and tested the ground wire (black and pink wire) with an OHM meter. It zeroed out telling me that the ground is good. Looking at the wiring diagram for the SRS, that's the only ground I see, unless I look at the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster... The instrument cluster shows a Radio Control Mux with a gray/white wire to the clockspring. That may not mean much but along with the same diagram, the instrument cluster shows 3 grounds (light blue/black, tan/black, and violet/black) along with the brake transmission shift interlock solenoid.

My next attempt to fix this is to attempt to find those grounds and make sure they are grounded. Before I tear it all apart again, is anyone here an "expert" on the instrument cluster that could tell me if I'm thinking about this correctly or am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm kind of at a point where I may need to break down and bring it to someone with more specialized tools. The truck will not pass inspection with the airbag light on, so it's either fix it or register it in a different state.

9chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recoil, sure wish I could help you out. I hate running down electrical issues! Thought I'd check back with you and let you know I lucked out big time on mine you were nice enough to try and help me with. After scanning it, turned out the pass. side bag was unplugged in the dash for some reason. Another example of me not going over all the simple stuff and assuming the worst right off! Good luck. Hope you get it lined out!

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks 9chester - and I'm glad you got your issue figured out. I have a "cheap" (not cheap for me) Ancel scanner which gives me the 2 - Driver squib #1 circuit open and 9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground error codes. I did not think of looking at the passenger airbag because the scanner is telling me it's the driver squib. Since I have to tear the dash down again anyway, I will look at the passenger airbag just to make sure. Thanks for the tip on that!

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as per my last update, the airbag light was off for a while and came on one day while driving. I was driving straight down the highway when the airbag light came on, so I reached under the steering column and wiggled the wires and since then the airbag light would comes on after starting my truck and stays on. I get the same two codes; 2 - Driver squib #1 circuit open and 9 - Driver squib #1 short to ground. The other day I got in my truck, started it and waited for the airbag light - this time it didn't come on immediately. It took about 60 seconds before I heard that dreaded ding and the light came on and stayed on. I'm not sure if it's a wire under the steering column or the TIPM itself and right now I am in between selling our old house and building our new one, so I'm stuck at an apartment for a few months so I really can't tear into it.

What does everyone think? Do you think it's somewhere under the steering column or the TIPM? There were times after I replaced the clockspring with the aftermarket Dorman that the light would come on but if I turned the wheel, the light would go off. I know that's the sign of a bad clockspring but since I just replaced it (twice - once with a used OEM clockspring from eBay which did not turn off the airbag light at all and the aftermarket Dorman which initially turned it off) I don't think that is the issue. I am sure that everything is plugged into the clockspring.

Has anyone chased one of these issues down before? If so, what was your solution? Thanks in advance.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '03 Dakota had a very similar intermittent air bag light. It ended up being the airbag module which was buried under the center console. I had to get one from a junkyard Durango which had the same part number, they're not available new. At least it was cheap.

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info @alpinegreenneon - I was leaning toward that as well but I didn't want to throw unnecessary parts at it if at all possible.

I see some on eBay - maybe I'll get one and swap it out. If it doesn't work, then I'll just have another module on hand.

Thanks again!

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Chased down a similar problem in my 03. Found it was a bad connector at the airbag module. What was happening is one terminal in the connector was loose. IOW, it would not stay latched in the plastic connector. When unplugged the terminal would slide back in to its normal position so it passed the visual test. It was when I was testing for continuity that I found the wire had slid out and was not making contact. FYI, my scanner was telling me no power to airbag module and it the power wire.

You might have a similar problem in the connector at the steering column. But I am bothered by the short to ground on the squib. Have you tried back probing the squib wires to see if they are shorting to ground. If not, that’s where I would focus my search. Disconnect the battery of course

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chased down a similar problem in my 03. Found it was a bad connector at the airbag module. What was happening is one terminal in the connector was loose. IOW, it would not stay latched in the plastic connector. When unplugged the terminal would slide back in to its normal position so it passed the visual test. It was when I was testing for continuity that I found the wire had slid out and was not making contact. FYI, my scanner was telling me no power to airbag module and it the power wire.

You might have a similar problem in the connector at the steering column. But I am bothered by the short to ground on the squib. Have you tried back probing the squib wires to see if they are shorting to ground. If not, that’s where I would focus my search. Disconnect the battery of course
Hi @Mysfyt - I did a continuity test on the airbag itself when I replaced the clockspring. It registered around 2.0 if memory serves me right. I read that the continuity should be around the reading I got. It was after that when my brother in law (ASE certified, Ford Diesel certified, and an automotive instructor at a technical college) yelled at me and said I could have injured myself because some testers put out enough current when doing a continuity test that could have deployed the airbag. I laughed at him and said "Whoops". He lives in a different state so we communicate via text most of the time. :)

I'll remove the column plastics and unplug the clockspring again and check for continuity to ground. I did that once already but I'll try it again - this time I'll try moving the wires to see if I get a reading or not. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'll check the plug on the airbag module. I found a few on eBay for sale that are used - not sure what needs to be done with them to make them work on a different truck? I've also thought about just sending the module for repairs to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the reply - and these are all great ideas to try. Feel free to keep them coming.

beglyfred

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering what your final resolution was? My 03 is having the same issue. New clock spring and still nothing. Just like you I just dont want to throw parts and money at it. Code is P1200. Even looking that up gives conflicting info......