2003 Ram 2500 5.7 ETC Light Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docolds66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First post and its a long one so I apologize in advance -

I purchased a 2003 Ram 2500 with a 5.7 Hemi. After getting it running and road worthy I still had a misfire on cylinder #4. After diagnosing this It was determined to be the PCM (no signal from the PCM to fire the coil). So I ordered a replacement PCM and installed. After I installed I noticed that it had an odd throttle pedal and didn't seem to respond like it did before. After about a month of driving the ETC light came on and started to idle rough. So I took it into the shop to have codes read and nothing was on the scanner except some emissions codes (purge valve which I did replace but still have code). After reading in various forums I decided to try and relearn the throttle, big mistake lol, it went from running rough to no throttle at all as in if I hit the pedal there was no response. At that point it did register a code of the APPS sensor being out of range (high and low). Again after checking forums I did the following -

replace the throttle body (VDO) - no difference
Checked the resistance and voltage from and to the PCM from the APPS sensor (all was in factory spec range)

I also checked the ground wires that I could find and cleaned and checked them, wires at the APPS sensor, Wires at the PCM and found no damaged wires.
Checked all pins and connections and tightened up a couple of loose pins and ohm checked for good connection. Still made no difference

At that point I contacted a place I purchased the PCM and had them send me another - Replaced and again worked for about 2 miles when ETC light came on again and went into limp mode. Got the truck home and parked it. I contacted another company that had much better ratings with their PCMS gave them all my info and they sent me a new unit. Plugged in and ran great for about 2 weeks. Today ETC light came on and went into limp mode again. The only thing that I noticed that seems to be common when this happens is it seems to be is when I have to make a quick stop and make a quick stab at the throttle.

The funny part is if I put the original PCM back in the code goes away but I have the cylinder misfire and runs without issue except the misfire.

I am stumped at this point on what to check for, I have checked compression to make sure valve springs are ok (I know this is not 100% but I also do not hear any loud ticking).

Now the only things I know that there are problems with the truck are the following but I am not sure if they can cause this problem.

1. Odometer lights are out and that half of the gauge cluster
2. I do have the emission error and as I stated I replace the purge valve and the valve (forget the name) on top of the canister.

If there is anything someone can think of for me to check please let me know I would greatly appreciate it. I do really like this truck but it is causing me a lot of frustration right now. It is spending more time parked than driving.

David1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi 5.7
I’m having almost the same problem. I had a misfire on cylinder 3 so I changed the spark plugs and the coil for that cylinder and it fixed it. About a week later purge flow fault p0441. I had already previous changed the purge flow sensor within 2 years but it wasn’t a big deal so I didn’t jump right into fixing it. About 3 weeks later throttle body light came on and limp mode. Unplugging the battery for awhile fixed it for a day. So I changed my throttle body to my original one which wasn’t broken (long story). And that lasted about 2 weeks and I’m back to the lighting bolt light and limp mode. I also had my battery die before all of this happened. Just wondering if u figure anything out on it. Thanks

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have had similar issues, but not limp mode. I read somewhere that a 50-100 mile drive can help teach the computer a new set of operating limits. If you look at some of my threads. I didn't have the coil or PCM issue. My problem took me a bit further to replace an APPS with a unit from an 2005, need to make a pedal mount adapter and a wiring harness. But, if the APPS is the issue it can be done, as the 2003 APPS is obsolete.