2004 2500 with Hemi 5.7. Won't idle. Misfires like crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
My friend bought this 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4 door. It had a head gasket leaking water into oil. Had someone work on it. Lifter is still tapping. Was idling about 300 to 400 rpm and a little hesitant on take off, Not too hesitant. We started using it for pull truck cause he junks old cars. Today at Junkyard while I was in office collecting money I came out and the truck wasn't running anymore. I tried to start it. It would fire here and there but not start. Friend showed up and got it to start finally. Have to push gas peddle down a little to get it to start. Wouldn't idle anymore. Misfiring here and there. We got back to shop and unhooked trailer.

I brought truck home and changed all 16 plugs. It idles about 150 to 200 with breather off. Won't idle while on. Seems like its running even worse now. My ELM 327 adapter and Torque pro got two codes. P0157 Powertrain O2 sensor circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2).
Pending Fault P0113 Powertrain Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

I don't think changing the O2 sensor will fix it but this is why I'm here. I think the truck still ran strong when it was running. Friend said he'll junk it too if I can't find the problem soon. Hoping someone can help.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That particular o2 sensor is the passenger downstream sensor, it won’t affect the truck running. The upstream sensors will mess it up if they are bad. Try changing the Intake air temp sensor, it’s plugged into the Hemi hat above the intake manifold. The sensor needs positioned correctly to work right, Id have to look up in the service manual to see if it shows you which direction it turns in the manifold

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
K

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So the Intake air temp sensor could be making it run so bad or not run without touching the gas peddle? If it doesnt cost too much maybe I'll get him to buy one and give it a try. He has other ram trucks but not as new or Hemi. Wonder if one of them will have the right sensor.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s been awhile so my memory is a touch foggy, but I seem to remember starting up my truck after a rebuild and it wouldn’t run or idle right, I had forgotten to clip in the IAT sensor to the intake. Plugging it in made it run much better. It’s worth a shot since that’s a code that’s coming up, good place to start. After that you’ll need to do some more troubleshooting. It’s hard to say without knowing more

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
K

KnightHawk1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I just ran the truck some while ago. Running better than yesterday but still won't idle. Cleared fault codes hoping the IAT code was cause I had it unplugged. But now while it's running I have 6 Fault codes. Torque pro says I'm running 1700 rpm while tach shows 1000.

Coolant Temp 150.8 / Intake Temp 107.6. If I read right elsewhere they should be within 30 degrees of each other.
O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1 0.725v / O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 2 0v
O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1 .78v / O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 2 0v

P0113 - Powertrain
Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

P0137 - Powertain
O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0157 - Powertrain
O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

P0171 - Powertrain
System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0175 - Powertrain
System Too Rich (Bank 2)

So while running it comes up with both O2 Sensor Banks 1 and 2

I'm guessing if I change the IAT and O2 Sensors it should fix the problem but the owner of the truck won't spend that kind of money unless I'm sure. He would rather junk it before pouring money into it. I think it has power with no problem when I pulled the trailer but after it died I can't pull with it cause it won't idle. Trying to get the owner to spend money on it. Otherwise he'll have me pulling with a half ton again. Trying to tell him that we shouldn't be pulling with half ton. Should be three quarter or a ton to be pulling junk cars.

Edit, Just reading somewhere else that the sensor 2 is downstream. So I guess the Bank being different isn't making a difference. Owner is still wanting to junk. Thinks Catalytic converter is clogged. Feels like plenty of exhaust is coming out back of muffler.

Problem with the codes now is bank one lean and bank two is rich.

EDIT Again,
Think the truck is done. It was idling real low but running. Next thing I hear a **** of air and truck died. Now it doesn't even crank. You hear the starter clanking like it's trying to start it but the motor won't turn. I see the belt try to move when I try to start. Wonder if this is one of those motors that had valve spring breakage. Valve fall through into motor locking it up maybe.

Last edited: