2004.5 6 spd 325 hp SLT Oil leaking between bell housing adapter and block seeping past camshaft o ring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
new engine installed running great. steady drizzle of oil running off the rear passenger side of oil pan.
pulled transmission clutch and bell housing adapter. Very obvious the leak is oil seeping around the camshaft. There is an o ring in the bell adapter (which we didn't notice installing it) replaced it with a new one after cleaning it all. Now it leaks about half as much. Has anyone solved this problem? I'm old and worn out would like this to be my last time yanking this trans out if possible. LOL

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
new engine installed running great. steady drizzle of oil running off the rear passenger side of oil pan.
pulled transmission clutch and bell housing adapter. Very obvious the leak is oil seeping around the camshaft. There is an o ring in the bell adapter (which we didn't notice installing it) replaced it with a new one after cleaning it all. Now it leaks about half as much. Has anyone solved this problem? I'm old and worn out would like this to be my last time yanking this trans out if possible. LOL
When I install the large, square cut o-ring in the bellhousing adapter I use Mopar ThreeBond engine RTV or a good engine RTV alternative and I really goop it on the o-ring and in the circle groove that it sits in. I don't like to pull them back apart when I'm done so I do it as cheap insurance.

OP
OP
mrnone

mrnone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I haven't tried that yet. On attempt 2 we glued new aftermarket ring in with rtv. reassembled and started leaking immediately although a slower drip rate . 3rd time we used cummins branded OEM 30 dollar dealer part with grease. no good but again dripping slower. test drove for first time with new engine to see if getting it hot might make it seat and the turbo blew apart within 10 miles. probably trashed turbo from when oil pump cracked in half doing 75 mph originally back in january.
thanx for the input

OP
OP
mrnone

mrnone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
fourth tranny r & r with correct new o ring threebond rtv let set 24 hrs.
still leaking...
drip drip drip.
make a fiber gasket? have the bellhousing adapter machined? just let it leak?
I think pulling for the fifth time we should have a new plan other than clean it better and use more goo...

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I
fourth tranny r & r with correct new o ring threebond rtv let set 24 hrs.
still leaking...
drip drip drip.
make a fiber gasket? have the bellhousing adapter machined? just let it leak?
I think pulling for the fifth time we should have a new plan other than clean it better and use more goo...
If you cannot get it to seal at the o-ring with Three-Bond sealer then something is wrong.

Have you put a straight edge across the face of the adapter to make sure it is flat? The spec for the adapter for flatness is no more than .003".

Are you 100% sure that the leak is coming from the o-ring? and not from above or below like from the rear main seal?