2004 5.7 not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi all new to forum, I just purchased a 2004 ram 1500 5.7 from nephew for $500 , needs body work but good drive train , problem is that it would stall after 30 minutes or so of driving but always started back,but seemed hard to take fuel until you really throttled it up but still had issues ,,he had pulled codes for coil an its always had codes for the 02 sensors , he replaced the crank position sensor an the # 3 an 6 coil packs an even changed throttle body but still didnt fix problem and he pressure checked fuel system an it was good ,been that way a couple months ,
So I got it home an had it idling an scanner tool hooked up and pulled codes p02308 p0406 p0131 p0157 , so I cleared out the codes or tried as it was idling an then it slowly started stalling out running ruff until it died an as it was doing that it threw codes p0562 p0551 p0700 , I checked battery an cleaned up connections but still would not start back , it would hit but not start , so I unhooked battery over night and tried again next day and now it doesn't even seem to be trying to hit now , I ordered another ecm but hasn't arrived yet but thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions , I plan on checking fuel pump soon but think its ok as I am leaning towards the ecm or perhaps wiring an plugs to ecm , any other suggestions would be appreciated

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check battery voltage, connections and ecm connections.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My thought FWIW maybe a fuel pump going bad.,. just a thought... IMHO

Maybe pump clogged? Dirt in tank got sucked up and into line? Just another thought

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I checked voltage to crank position sensor an the cam position sensor , with key in on position I was only getting 2 to 3 volts instead of the 5 volts needed , I couldn't find any shorted out wiring which is leading me to believe it is the ecm has taken a dump

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
replaced ecm and fuel pump ,, will start with starting fluid an dies as it doesnt appear to be getting fuel on its own,,the fuel rails are pressurized but fuel injectors dont appear to be working,,turned key to on position but cannot detect voltage at injector plug,,will only start by using starting fluid but doesnt keep running,,what could shut down the injectors but not the spark

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The 12v source (ASD) for injectors and coils are shared up to where they split within the wiring harness at front of the engine. They are only powered for a few seconds when the ignition is first turned on.

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 12v source (ASD) for injectors and coils are shared up to where they split within the wiring harness at front of the engine. They are only powered for a few seconds when the ignition is first turned on.

Yea i just ordered some noid lights so i can check the voltage on injectors

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I seperated the coils and injectors 12v feeds and gave them seperate fuses. Both the coils and injectors use two wires. One is the 12v supply and the other is the pcm circuit that times the grounding of the coil or injector. You can use a simple voltage test light to check for the 12v. Just need to be quick about it. This only checks for the presents of the 12v.

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Found the lastest issue as it had water in fuel and thats why it would not fire up,,running like a champ , and for a $500 truck it aint bad