2004 Ram 3500 no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hello everyone, I have an early 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l Cummins. I was having issues with hard starting after I had my valves adjusted. so I took it back to the shop and they said my the fuel tubes that connect to the injectors were loose, he showed me and I can confirm they were loose. He also cleaned up the battery terminals.
Took the truck camping and driving home the truck died while drive. Had to coast the the side of the road.
I listened for my Lift Pump in the tank (upgraded 10 years ago) couldn’t hear it.
I just installed a new Delphi lift pump and after bumping the ignition still don’t hear the pump and no fuel to the filter. I have a code on my reader P2509 and if I cycle the key I get P0463.

Any ideas?
Thanks Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Turton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Have have just checked the relay that goes to the pump. It’s working.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just tossing out an idea
Check for resistance on the power wire going to the fuel pump. If that has no resistance (open circut). It's possible the electrical connector has come apart some how(maybe melted)? The P0463 code is for the fuel level sensor, the wiring for that runs with the fuel pump.

OP
OP
T

Turton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So while trying to diagnose my issues today I found that my mechanic didn’t hook up the 12 volt relay to my in-tank fuel pump.
Can my truck run just using the VP44?
Can it be damaged using just it?
Any input would be great.
Thanks
Geoff