2005 2500 head unit replace, keep infinity amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I can't seem to find definitive answers on putting in a new head unit and keeping the infinity amp in a 2005.

I have the adapter plug, the new stereo works, but no sound. However, the new head unit does not have an amp turn on wire, it only have a power antenna lead that is limited to 100 ma. I'm wondering if the amp needs more current to switch on. I'll try running a test jumper in the morning straight off the battery, but wondering if anyone has themselves hooked a new head unit to an 05 with infinity and kept the amp and if so was there anything special you had to do to get the amp to work. I hear 04 to 05 had a change, but I find that hard to believe if 06 went to canbus.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not many that are designed to work with the stock amp. I have one that does and is also bluetooth & cam capable; it also fits in the stock dash hole but it isn't cheap.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So can you please elaborate? What are you using? what cable? I'm not really worried about cost. I could just buy a factory replacement and be done with it, but I don't trust them. Been looking at the amp bypass cables, but then I have to buy new speakers. It's not the cost, but the time. I'll have to work outdoors, in the dark because I have a day job and a full system replacement would just have to wait until spring.

So if you have a head unit and cable that works with the stock infinity amp and speakers, please share the details.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No bypass cable necessary, it's designed to work within the system with the factory amp: https://insaneaudio.com/products/tj1002/
I wanted all those features, I wanted American made (because all the Chinese stuff got absolute **** reviews and it's worth it just with these guy's customer service alone) and I wanted something that fit in the stock dash hole. Had an Amazon gift card and got it a tiny bit cheaper through them.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So any idea what it is about this particular unit that allows it to control the Infinity amp where other systems don't/can't? I've emailed their info request address and will see what they say. I had a lot of questions as my truck already has a Juice 2/Attitude tuner. So I'm interested if the obd2 functions can co exist.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So any idea what it is about this particular unit that allows it to control the Infinity amp where other systems don't/can't? I've emailed their info request address and will see what they say. I had a lot of questions as my truck already has a Juice 2/Attitude tuner. So I'm interested if the obd2 functions can co exist.
No idea and didn't care lol, it fit my needs. You can get an OBD splitter if you wanted to use the Torque app that comes with it but it isn't a requirement or anything, works just fine without it. Since it's Android based you can configure/add apps, etc the same way you would an Android tablet or phone. The only thing that isn't plug and play directly are the steering wheel controls and it's a fairly easy fix.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey HemiLoneStar, is the Ram you are talking about your 03? Or do you have an 05 also?

kapitanius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heli 5.7
Oliver,

I just spent the last month doing what you're doing, so I'll share with you my experience. I will say that it took some trial and error but in the end it was worth it; I love my new radio. I have a '08 1500 RAM with Infinity Audio, and I replaced the factory radio with an ATOTO A6 radio, which is the best $170 ive spent in a while. My aftermarket radio head had an 'amp turn on' wire, which I believe mine required.

I also managed to keep the steering wheel control using an Metra Axxess ASWC-1 interface unit. I also used a PAC Radio Replacement Interface SSCH11 that sits between the new radio and the stereo connector. I also needed an adapter for the AM/FM radio. I also had to fabricate my own radio mount (see below), and shave some plastic off the OEM radio bezel and the little container that sits just below it.

When I removed the OEM radio, I found that it had two wiring harnesses plugged into it- a big one and a small one. I only ended up using the big one.

I used the SSCH11 interface harness and wired it directly into the head unit's harness using the wiring guide contained in both products. I used about half the wires listed. To retain the steering wheel controls, I had to download the Axxess software that allowed programming of its device. I found that by programming the device to a BOSS radio worked best, although I lost the use of the middle button on the left-hand steering wheel controls (no big deal).

As for the mounting of the stereo, I designed and printed my own mounts using a 3D printer and ABS plastic. I've attached a zip of the .stl if anyone needs it (youll have to duplicate and reverse to get both the left and right sides). I also had to print half circles to fill in the gaps left by the volume knob and its counterpart. View media item 30332View media item 30333

Attachments

• BRACKET_V10.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 0

kapitanius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heli 5.7
edit: accidently posted twice, sorry.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks kapitanius, My problem is apparently 05's are an odd duck. 03, 04 and 05 are all PCI bus. In 06 they went to canbus like your 08.

However, while 03 and 04 have your typical industry standard amp turn on wire -apply 12 volts and the amp turns on, in 05 that wire is not used and the amp gets the signal to turn on from the the radio over the PCI bus, Like in a canbus, not the 12 volt radio output.

For Canbus systems, harness makers have the little adapter that tells the amp to turn on, but if they ever made something similar for 05's PCI, nobody makes them now.

To top it off, the plugs at the amp don't have the same number of pins according to a comparison of the 03 and 05 service manuals and posts I've read elsewhere. So AMP bypass kits don't work either.

My truck is a diesel with an upsized turbo, tuner and an exhaust that makes it sound like a semi, so it's not really the ideal candidate for high fidelity audio, but come spring I'll be replacing speakers with new infinity components (since it already says infinity) and probably just use the cheap ass Boss head unit I already bought. We'll see. I bought this truck on November 3rd and I've driven it once since bringing it home. I am kind of an audiophile and have a listening room in my house. Music in the truck is more for distraction than anything else. Getting the stock amp to work was a puzzle I thought I could beat, but I was wrong. I'll have to bypass and wire in some loops at the plugs.

kapitanius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heli 5.7
Oliver, that sounds like a pain in the ass. The way my setup works is that the head unit doesnt send anything to the speakers it thinks is in the front of the truck. As I understand it, in my truck, the bass speakers are in the front doors, and the OEM amp routes audio based on sound freq. Its a pain in the ass, and there was a point where I was going to say 'screw it' and install my own cheapass amp and run new wiring myself.

its hardly perfect but my hearing sucks so Ill take what I got!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah these 7,8, 14 speaker setups are way more complex than they need to be. I'm doing the Infinity Reference components in front to mimic what's there now. The 6x9 bass speakers will go in the doors, the tweeters will go up in the dash, and then some 2 ways will go in the rear doors. The 'phantom' center channel you have is done by a wiring gimmick so that will have to go because I'm not smart enough to figure out what impedance speaker to wire in there and not ruin the radio.

Right now I have a piece of black foamboard where the factory radio goes. Looks like a factory delete.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well you know what they say. A fool and his money are soon parted. I have sub in the garage that I'll set in back. I'm just going to use the cheap Boss head unit I already bought since it has more functions than I'll ever use.

20210103_153145.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I finally found some time to start on this. Actually I put in the rear speakers a week ago and a few days later I wanted to let the truck sit with the windows down a little and found that the right rear window wasn't working. I assumed that it was the the wiring in the boot between the door and the pillar had broken again, so I ordered a new cable. but when I took the panel off I found that I had forgot to plug in the switch. Doh!. But since I had already ordered a replacement harness I went ahead and replaced it. So now both rear doors have new harnesses in them and new speakers, and the left has a new lock.

20210413_175147.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The fronts are components like the original. They come with spacers and gasket tape good for one side of the spacer, but not both. The originals had gasket on both side so I just used some old AC window gasket I had lying around to go on the back side between the spacer and the door.

20210501_152535.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
With that on and tightened down the height is almost the same as the originals but still plenty of clearance back there.

20210501_145908.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So all of that is a piece of cake. Now the fun part. I posted about this before. Behind the glove box is not just empty space. There is a surround that goes all the way over to the steering column.

20210501_162608.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So EVERYTHING has to come out. A job worth doing....

Once it's all out you can get to the *cough* amp.

20210501_164805.jpg

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It's only the two bolts holding it in, but you have to turn it so the plugs are facing towards you to get it out the dash. I removed the AC housing support bracket to make it easier. Getting the plugs out of the amp was kind of a *****.

20210501_165721.jpg