2005 2500 head unit replace, keep infinity amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Here is a list of the parts I used. Remember this is for the 05. Do your homework before buying. I didn't cut any factory wires. Everything fits even if Amazon says different.

Harnesses:
Metra 72-7902 for the dash speakers.

Metra turbo wire 70-6510 for bypassing the factory amp.

Metra Antennaworks 40-cr10 antenna adapter.

XtremeAmazing Car Radio Speakers Wire Cable Wiring Harness with Adapter Connector Plug Pack of 4 (on Amazon) for the door speakers.

Components:
Infinity Kappa One6 mono sub amp.

Infinity REF-704A 4 channel amp.

Infinity Reference 6532IX - rear doors.

Infinity Reference 9630CX - front doors and dash.

Alpine UTE-73BT - head unit.

Misc:
Metra 99-6503 Dash Kit.

FosPower RCA cables.

KLTECH 4Pcs Auto Door Clip Panel Trim Removal Tool Kit.

BOSS Audio Systems KIT10 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit (Not recommended).

BOSS Audio Systems KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit (Not Recommended).

The Boss kits come with a lot of crap. The mains (all I used) are made out of the finest strands of wire I've ever seen and I think its copper plated aluminum. When you cut it, the ends look silver instead of copper and when you strip it you can't help but cut a lot of strands unless you are VERY careful.

They include lots of extra wires and cables, but they are of poor quality, pretty much what you pay for. The cable ends are junk, the wire ties break. The RCA's are twisted pair instead of shielded cable. It's cheap.

I haven't had a problem yet, but I wouldn't buy the Boss stuff again.

Other than that it was plug and play as far as wiring. It was almost boring because everything worked exactly as it should have.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
BTW, I had initially re-used a Sony sealed subwoofer, but I decided to go ahead and replace it with an Infinity Primus 1270B Sub and sealed box. A lot nicer looking, bigger box, and more efficient.