2005 5.7 Hemi coil/plug arch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good evening,
I had a question and see what others who have experienced this have done to find out what is causing it.
First I swappped out the plugs/wires/valve cover gaskets and coils on the 2005 hemi 5.7. Anyways fast forward to today (haven’t driven around much, still in rebuild process) I fired it up and noticed a “ting” sound coming for passenger side. Looked around and saw cylinder 6 was arching, not lots and not steady, but it was there. So I took everything out and looked over everything for damage and made sure the plugs were clean as well as the plug boots, put everything back and tighten everything down, still arched. Now I’m thinking I’m going to switch the coils and see if the arch follows the coil. I didn’t have time to get that far tonight. If the arch follows coil, would a new coil take care of the arch issue? If the arch doesn’t follow the coil, then what would I be looking at replacing?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
1DDBB831-4F81-47D5-B22C-25F131BB53A5.jpeg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your title threw me off at first lol. Arching is bending; arcing (like arc welding) is what your coil is doing. You said you swapped some stuff; from what to what? Looks like a yellow Accel coil with a shorty wire. Looks like you might have a defect in the coil housing if it's grounding to the VC.

Last edited: