Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
thanks guy, much appreciated. Are your diesels non turbo as well? My old man has an old school 12v non turbo that still has all the jam!

if I was going to do a N/A engine it would have to be minimal electronics carb job all the way!

Both the 12v and 24v are turbocharged but stock. The reference was made toward my 03 ram which is supercharged running a Vortech on a cog belt. 17psi@6000.. we are both using much of the same intercooler parts. The pump I chose was a bosch high volume heater pump if I remember correctly.20190411_130200.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
20161011_123518.jpg
Lesson learned is I could run a trans cooler or heat exchanger but not both. Not enough air flow when making power.

OP
OP
Technician07

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
View attachment 214570
Lesson learned is I could run a trans cooler or heat exchanger but not both. Not enough air flow when making power.

So I'm running both a water-to-air heat exchanger and the factory transmission cooler and so far don't seem to be having any issues with my transmission temps and I'm doing all the same truck stuff I been doin'... I haven't towed anything yet but I had the ATV in the back and hit the highway with no issues. I also don't "race" my rig, leave bacon strips or pull smoke shows so my trans is pretty un-abused which may be the difference? I was going to install an aftermarket cooler for the transmission but when I held it up to the factory one, it was literally the same size so I left it alone. I will upgrade to a larger after market one when I move to a fully built bottom end as I'll be more inclined to be savage with the loud pedal!!

The heat exchanger for my air-to-water setup looks like it is about half the size of the one you are running.. I took out my tow hook bar, which opened up a decent sized gap in the factory bumper, and mounted the heat exchanger to the body frame directly behind the opening. It sits low enough no to disturb air flow to the factory heat exchange setups. The external oil cooler I added is mounted in front of the transmission cooler but is pretty low profile.IMG_1266.JPG
exchangers.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If it is working for you, than you have it right. I still need more cooling capacity for prolong boost runs.
20170501_113157.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The radiator is a 69 camaro bbc. It was adequate when I was running lower boost.20161010_143356.jpg In town I run both of my cooling fans.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The intercooler fan has a manual switch. The supercharger runs a cog belt makiing boost very predictable. I'm at 17psi @ 6000rpm. There is also water/**** that activates progressively @1-2 psi to full on at 10psi.

OP
OP
Technician07

Technician07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L turbo
MAKING COLD THE AIR FOR INTAKE.. (con't)

I knew that would I not be driving any less than I did before so stepping up the octane to avoid knock and detonation was not the most economical way to go. Also knowing that my ability to control the ignition timing in real time would be limited I decided to use water injection in my set up. I actually don't run "fuel grade" methanol. I use methyl hydrate which is waay cheaper and pretty much sold at any hardware/painting store or gas station. I'm not sure how it affects overall performance but it works.. some ppl out there are using windshield washer fluid with no issues so

here is some info on the topic of water injection...
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/02/benefits-of-watermethanol-injection/
here is some info on the topic of methanol...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Niche_and_potential_uses
https://canadasafetycouncil.org/methanol/

Ill be the first to admit, it may not be needed for my current setup, given the size of the intercooler and the exposed intake piping, but I do have plans to step up the boost at a later date... I went with this kit from AEM
h20_inj.jpg
I run the 30-3000AEM kit using the medium (315cc/min) nozzle, rated for 250-400hp, in my setup. The nozzle is in the same section of intake pipe that the blow off valve is in. Its orientation has the supply line hidden out of sight but also coming up over the engine so I put a sleeve of heat shielding material over it.
h2o_nozzle.jpg
Even though I run the recommended 50/50 water/**** I'm still mindful of the possibility of the line freezing ,as it can get down to -40C+ in my parts, so I routed it between the return oil and intercooler h20 lines where it is exposed under the truck
h20_line.jpg
Currently I have the controller set so the pump only gets to about 1/2 speed at the low boost (>5psi) I'm running so its not remotely getting close to maxed out. The tank also seems to last ages with my driving style
toolbox.jpg

Last edited: