2005 5.7L LD power steering pressure switch not needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfey002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hey guys - first time posting here. I have an 05 Ram 5.7 LD 4x4. I'm 110% sure it's a LD as the 5th letter in the VIN is a U. From my understanding, that means LD (this is relevant later).

My dad bought the truck new in 05, drove it daily and kept almost all the receipts until he got sick later in life. I got the truck in 2018 and have driven it some since. I've categorized and digitized all receipts and organized everything by date and mileage.

Whenever I have an issue with the truck I first consult this list to see if it's an original part still on there or work has been done. A few weeks ago I had a power steering leak on the high pressure line. I looked at my list, it looks like the lines have leaked before and the low pressure return line has been replaced before. I order a new high pressure line and even call the dealer to confirm my VIN and it's the right part. I get the part in and it doesn't look like the part on my truck. My truck has a high pressure line with a power steering pressure switch and it's plugged in to a plug on the harness. This confuses me and I think i got the wrong part. I look in the FSM and find that it says ONLY HD has the high pressure switch.

I can return the line and get the high pressure one, but I honestly don't know which one belongs on the car now. I saw another post i think on Ramforumz where a tech said the LD does not have the switch. It is totally possible the line was replaced with the incorrect line, added a switch, and then untied the unused plug from the harness and connected it and my dad didn't have this receipt - this is a lot of IFs, but not impossible. If anyone has a 5.7 2005 LD 4x4 and can either check their truck what kind of line they have or has experience, i'd be greatly appreciative. At this point I trust the FSM the most and I will install the line with no switch. Today i unplugged the switch to just see if the truck would stall while turning at slow speeds and in general it acts the exact same as before. Any help here is appreciated. Thanks guys!