2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 Head gasket or cracked head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Moldthan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum Engine Gas
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 liter engine non-flex. I know in some capacity I am getting coolant into my cylinders. I'm not sure if my head gasket is bad or could it be a cracked head. I bought this truck used back in January so I don't know a lot of history on the truck, unfortunately. I know the way the best way to tell is to take off the head and see but that isn't the best option for me. My truck has never overheated on me while I've had it, I just lose coolant. No oil seems to be mixing with the coolant. My truck misfires typically on a cold start or if I go to the store for about 30 minutes or so and start it back up. The misfires only last maybe 5 minutes or until I stall out when I am stopped. It never has any issues once I am driving for a long time. Any thoughts? I know the 4.7 was known for blown head gaskets.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you know that the coolant is being lost in the cylinders? Is she producing white smoke? When my head gasket gave up she was still running but it was just a matter of time. Fix it now the proper way or take a chance and " let it ride " and possibly be looking and getting another engine. Replacing the head gasket on these is not hard especially if its the passenger side. Don't be like me. Check out my other thread on the 4.7 head gasket and look at what I am going through. Either way if I can help with what I have dome let me know. I don't know 1/10 of what these other guys know but I am learning.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let it sit for a day, then crack your oil pan drain bolt loose. Unscrew it just enough to let it drip. You will see in the first few drops if there's coolant in the oil.

My '02 4.7 would lose coolant very slowly, could not see any obvious signs of a leak, but use coolant it did. Finally got bad enough.

Coolant was burning off in #2 cylinder.
20190331_193449.jpeg
20190330_151453.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01