2005 Hemi 5.7 Laramie dua ignition coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mich04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello fourm,
I bought this truck in spring it had a slight misfire I ended up changing out all the spark plugs someone had started to change them out but stopped when they got to the brake booster. They also put short spark plug wires on the motor. After I changed all the plugs and secured all connections the misfire was gone, but I am now considering changing out the coils because of how split and rusted they are. OEM looks like it is a coil with spark plug wire running across the motor. I noticed these today when I was plugging in my truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-30561/overview/year/2005/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

Does anyone have any experience with eliminating the spark plug wires entirely? I figured it already has these short spark plugs on it and I don't see any reason why these dual spark plug coils wouldn't work. I like the idea of keeping the engine tidy, but I am also planning on hauling a 27 foot goose neck camper full time.

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have no experience with those, but I replaced all of the coil packs a few years ago just because of age...that has to be done when they start to deteriorate. If you install these new coil packs, post your feedback after some usage.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not 100% sure you can convert to the coil packs.. Good question.

I do know you should stick with the factory Champion plugs on those motors.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes you can. You can either cut and solder new plugs on or get the adapter pigtails (I opted for this on my Magnum).

IMAG2912.jpg

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
I have the msd coil packs and wires and I absolutely love them and completely suggest them they're easy plug and play no soldering you do have to keep the criss cross wiring though

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Also if you put the dual plug coil packs on you have to get the newer style valve covers also. The bolt pattern is completely different. I doubt you will see any improvement one way or the other with the newer style, but they are tidier then the crossover wires. I have the shortie wire setup on mine without any problems e044f6df0900e0ae2d2486a4c1912136.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How much did the adapters cost? I gotta get these done with the new heads soon

I Bleed Ram Trucks

https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...-pack-conversion-adapter-plug-kit-by-mmx.aspx

Already had a few sets of coils and the valve covers (gotta love cheap on ebay) from years ago for the truck; right about the time I got the wagon was I had decided to go with eagle heads so those VC's wouldn't have worked anyway. So I bought the adapters and got rid of the wasted spark setup on the Magnum.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...-pack-conversion-adapter-plug-kit-by-mmx.aspx

Already had a few sets of coils and the valve covers (gotta love cheap on ebay) from years ago for the truck; right about the time I got the wagon was I had decided to go with eagle heads so those VC's wouldn't have worked anyway. So I bought the adapters and got rid of the wasted spark setup on the Magnum.

Man $120 for them is dumb. I’ll go to the junkyard and get some for $20 and solder them on haha

I Bleed Ram Trucks

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone is interested in a set of the new style valve covers I have two sets. One aluminum and one plastic. Just need to grab them out of my storage unit. Still trying to get settled in from moving a couple months ago. And I will be moving again in a couple more months so they will likely end up in the garbage.

I gathered all of the parts to do this swap when I was building a hemi about 5 years ago... Of course, never finished that project, sold that truck and have been selling the parts ever since.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If anyone is interested in a set of the new style valve covers I have two sets. One aluminum and one plastic. Just need to grab them out of my storage unit. Still trying to get settled in from moving a couple months ago. And I will be moving again in a couple more months so they will likely end up in the garbage.

I gathered all of the parts to do this swap when I was building a hemi about 5 years ago... Of course, never finished that project, sold that truck and have been selling the parts ever since.

Assuming you mean 05-08 covers, as they are different from 09+ 5.7 covers & 11+ 6.4 covers.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hello fourm,
I bought this truck in spring it had a slight misfire I ended up changing out all the spark plugs someone had started to change them out but stopped when they got to the brake booster. They also put short spark plug wires on the motor. After I changed all the plugs and secured all connections the misfire was gone, but I am now considering changing out the coils because of how split and rusted they are. OEM looks like it is a coil with spark plug wire running across the motor. I noticed these today when I was plugging in my truck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-30561/overview/year/2005/make/dodge/model/ram-1500

Does anyone have any experience with eliminating the spark plug wires entirely? I figured it already has these short spark plugs on it and I don't see any reason why these dual spark plug coils wouldn't work. I like the idea of keeping the engine tidy, but I am also planning on hauling a 27 foot goose neck camper full time.

Yes those will work on it.
But before you buy them send Matt a pm and ask him too. @Hemi450hp
Matt @moespreformance
He uses the products that he sells and can verify what does and don’t work well on these Hemi motors.
I know him personally and he is a very good person to do business with. His customer service is superb.
Last Saturday I watched him run a 10.9 in the 1/4 on E85. He’s got a 14 Ram 1500 completely street legal.
Trust me when I say he is the person to buy parts from.
He’s also a preferred vendor here. With an outstanding reputation

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Matt is a outstanding guy with a very quick truck. Years ago I went the salvage yard route. I think the coils, plugs and valve covers was $200. I had no issues, since then I've installed a set of SoS coils. The coils from Summit seem a little on the weak side for 14v. At a premium price I believe 80k is available. This is often called the 6.1 coil upgrade and does not remove the waste spark. Just eliminates the high tension wire.