2006 dodge cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

almanzaangel6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm going to go look at a 2006 dodge cummins with 188,000 tomorrow what should I look for and worry about.?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When you test drive make sure it's been sitting overnight (first start of the day). If it takes more than a couple of seconds to start running, it may need to have the fuel injection system replaced. Mine is doing that and my mechanic says most likely need a new fuel injection system, $4K. Can't afford it right now, no harm in driving it that way, until it refuses to start completely.

Mike

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Along with the above, everything in the front end. Tie rods, ball joints, hub bearing, steering linkage, steering box, track bar, etc. With that many miles if they have not been replaced recently they will need to be. Those 3rd gens are hard on the (under designed) fronts end components. I know first hand (I had a 2006 2500 cummins).

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Rear main seal and check for blow by through oil fill cap and crank case vent tube. There is some good YouTube videos out there about what to look for on used Cummins trucks. Obviously smell and examine that tranny fluid...

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
All of the above is good but I will add to check the transmission shifting. The 48RE will have shifting anomalies if they suffer from age related internal leakage. These trucks are pretty robust and that many miles is not a big problem if the truck has seen decent maintenance and been driven with a little sense. The only trouble my son's 06 mega 4x4 Cummins is new injectors, rear main seal, steering gear replacement (these 3rd gens have a poorly designed steering gear) and trans rebuild. The trans was never serviced in 140,000 miles and the only problem with it was internal leakage. I told him several times he needed to have trans service done periodically but my advise fell on deaf ears. BTW, my son is not a hot rodder but he definitely has a heavier right foot than I do but I really like his truck.