2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Engine Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i just bought a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Truck has 210K miles. The truck is rough at idle, and the guy I bought it from said there was low compression out on cylinder 8. Here’s what I did so far: I have changed the spark plugs and have replaced the ignition coil. I also checked the fuel injector (that seems to be working fine). I’m just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
i just bought a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Truck has 210K miles. The truck is rough at idle, and the guy I bought it from said there was low compression out on cylinder 8. Here’s what I did so far: I have changed the spark plugs and have replaced the ignition coil. I also checked the fuel injector (that seems to be working fine). I’m just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Why would you bother wasting money on spark plugs and coil packs if the cylinder has low compression? This makes no sense. Lol.

If you have low compression on a cylinder you have bigger problems. Could be an oil control ring, could be a bad rod bearing, could be a cylinder out of round. Either way, replacing ignition and fueling parts wont do a damn thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zachery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I should have added I had codes ran I had a misfire there. I changed the spark plugs just do a tune up.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I guess I should have added I had codes ran I had a misfire there. I changed the spark plugs just do a tune up.
You need to do a compression / leakdown test on the truck rather than replace anything else. Those numbers will tell you the most important thing.

If the previous owner actually said a cylinder has low compression, that motor will probably have to be opened up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zachery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I will do this in the next couple of days. I appreciate your feedback. I was just curious as to if others have ran into this issue and what they found out.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The info you provided points to low compression on that cylinder but a test is needed to determine how far out of spec all 8 cylinders could be.

Low compression can be caused by several failures including a weak valve spring, a burned valve seat or a bad valve stem guide.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How bad is the misfire? Is it a dead hole misfire and the whole truck is shaking and you have to keep your foot on the throttle to keep it running or is it a small, intermittent misfire?

On a 2006 MY 5.7, the first thing I would do is perform a compression test and a leakdown test.

If you have a dead hole, my first suspect is a broken valve spring and a compression test would confirm that diagnosis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zachery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is not that bad just seems to shake when idle. It does not die even when In idle. I was thinking a spring but I was hoping that it would some more simple. I will run a compression test on it in the next couple of days.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is not that bad just seems to shake when idle. It does not die even when In idle. I was thinking a spring but I was hoping that it would some more simple. I will run a compression test on it in the next couple of days.
What DTC's were set for the misfire? Which cylinder(s)?

Were there any other DTC's set other than the misfire?

OP
OP
Z

Zachery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure on exact code. Cylinder 8 was the issue. I also had a oil sensor out and a code came back for a CO2 sensor but after checking the CO2 sensors (all 4 of them) they were all good

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you do a compression test make sure you do a dry test with all plugs removed disconnect the COP connectors, And then do a wet test squirt 2-3 pumps of oil( with a oil squirt can) in the spark plug hole and see if the compression reads higher on #8 cylinder if it reads higher you could have a bad compression ring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45