2006 Radio Upgrade today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before, Some kenwood preinstalled before i purchased the truck
244765932_177559574527460_8876864763998837350_n.jpg
After, I know the cutout isnt perfect and im hoping i can find a border for it and it need a little more shaping but all in all im happy with it and i got to keep my cubby.
244760892_390958235910726_7956672107429850032_n.jpg
now all i need to do is figure out why the touchscreen doesnt work.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it doesn't work at all the screen interface itself may have taken a $hit and gone display only.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This company makes accessories for radios
You may find your radio surround on their site

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well if it is the screen itself and not something internal then you're in luck and the touchscreen interface itself is replaceable.
How do I find out, and also my steering wheel controls stop working this morning.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you use the retrofit harness or did you just plug that in as is?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a factory style aftermarket radio. Dodge let Asterium make them for a while. Mine was just plug and play. The touch screen works, but its not super responsive. Have you checked your settings?

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you use the retrofit harness or did you just plug that in as is?
Lockpick harness, also I've noticed whenever the steering wheel controls stop working sometimes the radio crashes and reboots itself

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a factory style aftermarket radio. Dodge let Asterium make them for a while. Mine was just plug and play. The touch screen works, but its not super responsive. Have you checked your settings?
No matter what I try no response from touch screen

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Almost sounds like one of the dip switches is off and it's ******** up communications. Do you know what vehicle the head unit came out of? I'm wondering if you have a high speed CAN bus unit and the dip switch isn't set properly for it.

Edit: Seriously?? Can't say "screw!ng", as in "screw!ng up"?

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No matter what I try no response from touch screen
Stupid thought but what if you unplug the radio and plug it back in? I know my clock was messed up and on military time and would not change back. That fixed mine. I know mine has a sensitivity option that learns your fingers.

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Almost sounds like one of the dip switches is off and it's ******** up communications. Do you know what vehicle the head unit came out of? I'm wondering if you have a high speed CAN bus unit and the dip switch isn't set properly for it.

Edit: Seriously?? Can't say "screw!ng", as in "screw!ng up"?
It's out of a 08 charger so it's low whenever I switch it to high it doesn't power on at all.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah you have to make sure you are the right can bus.

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I attempted to see if the DVD function worked but it doesn't read and it won't eject at all I even tried the hard push buttons nope

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I attempted to see if the DVD function worked but it doesn't read and it won't eject at all I even tried the hard push buttons nope
My DVD has trouble reading the newer disc's. I think honestly they have just gotten out of date. My dad started having issues with his 13 ford f150 lariat. His sync wont play music only makes calls. I know mine can not update the map. I tried loading maps onto a USB card and same thing. I just plug my phone in have it on a magnetic holder right above my stereo. It plays through the truck and my phone work. I also am able to run XM through my phone and through the truck. Its weird your steering wheel controls dont work. Mine work perfectly. I can dig around, but I did find a company that redoes them. They weren't as cheap as a take out, but they were rebuilt. I can see if I can find them if you want me too.

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My DVD has trouble reading the newer disc's. I think honestly they have just gotten out of date. My dad started having issues with his 13 ford f150 lariat. His sync wont play music only makes calls. I know mine can not update the map. I tried loading maps onto a USB card and same thing. I just plug my phone in have it on a magnetic holder right above my stereo. It plays through the truck and my phone work. I also am able to run XM through my phone and through the truck. Its weird your steering wheel controls dont work. Mine work perfectly. I can dig around, but I did find a company that redoes them. They weren't as cheap as a take out, but they were rebuilt. I can see if I can find them if you want me too.
I've found out the steering wheel controls only stop working when the radio is about to freeze and reset after it resets I get full use of them again but no touch screen.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've found out the steering wheel controls only stop working when the radio is about to freeze and reset after it resets I get full use of them again but no touch screen.
That almost sounds like the radio itself isn't good. Mine all works, just no navi and xm which xm was the only option not available on the factory reproduction. That is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.20.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 10.20.12 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's out of a 08 charger so it's low whenever I switch it to high it doesn't power on at all.
Yeah, sounds like you got a jacked up unit. I know I've seen write ups on how load the software on to another or even a larger drive; I also seem to recall entities on ebay that sell whole drive/MyGig OS combos. This may be a viable cheaper alternative to replacing the whole thing. If you do end up replacing the whole thing, see if you can find one of the later 730n's. Much better unit.

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, sounds like you got a jacked up unit. I know I've seen write ups on how load the software on to another or even a larger drive; I also seem to recall entities on ebay that sell whole drive/MyGig OS combos. This may be a viable cheaper alternative to replacing the whole thing. If you do end up replacing the whole thing, see if you can find one of the later 730n's. Much better unit.
do you have links to these threads i would like to salvage the unit as much as possible as i only paid 40 bucks for it and a craked screen one i have to go with it so i can swap and change parts i think it maybe overheating is what maybe causing the crashing. what do you mean later models?
also any ideas on how to remove the stuck cd i tried using the 3 button combo nav,seek+ and seek - but it doesnt seem to affect it and the screen is in the open position while attempting this, i have also noticed that when using the open/close button it will cause the unit to freeze up and stop responding but not that often right now the current recurring issue is a soft reset about every fifteenish minutes where its like the radio turns off and back on and back to working.