2007 Ram 1500 Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm looking to do a little upgrade for my dad's truck. It currently has a stock CD player unit with some electrical gremlins that change the station and volume at random. I was wondering if this unit would be a direct fit swap:
P/N 56038646AM REC unit.

I think there's one in a Chrysler Aspen in a a local junkyard that I could source, just wondering if its possible before taking the time.

s-l1600.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Possible yes as long as it's the same bus speed; out of an Aspen it will be. Same unit was used across the lines but one from a high speed bus vehicle (like an LX) won't work in your truck. While it should be plug and play, you'll need the GPS antenna and a nav bezel. Truth be told, REC's were pieces of crap. Great in 2005 when introduced, gone within 3yrs. It'd be more expensive but a MyGig retrofit would be so much better.

mygig008.jpg

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I have been down this road before. This stuff is so old now that an inexpensive aftermarket stereo would be much better. Consider a quality name brand double DIN stereo with backup camera.

OP
OP
Sasquatchtdg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm mainly looking for simplicity, the old man is old school. Buttons that aren't tiny and radio preset buttons basically. The nav unit was locally available so i figured why not?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been down this road before. This stuff is so old now that an inexpensive aftermarket stereo would be much better. Consider a quality name brand double DIN stereo with backup camera.
True, but nothing aftermarket beats the ease and simplicity of the install with the retrofit harness. Put one in my Magnum few years ago with a backup cam.
I'm mainly looking for simplicity, the old man is old school. Buttons that aren't tiny and radio preset buttons basically. The nav unit was locally available so i figured why not?
Then look for another similar head unit. He'll hate the nav function on that, it's non touch screen.

Your options are the REC you're looking at, a Nav MyGig retrofit, an aftermarket head unit or one of the factory options below from 2007 parts book:

Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 22-01-39 2007 Dodge Ram Parts Manual pdf.png

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Here is my Daytona install. With an adapter module, it's all plug and play. But I understand old school. For that, one of the better factory stereos is a great choice.

DaytonaStereo_01.jpg

Daytona24Feb2019_03.jpg

Last edited: