2008 5.7 hemi ran dry but not seized.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LKQ is where I would look for a good take out.

OP
OP
Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't the tools to do the job.
I have to take it to somebody.
I believe I'll have to pay top dollar regardless of new remanned or junk yard pull engine. Really, I just want what is broke, fix, without having to do an engine swap.

In the end, once it's paid off, I'm not even keeping the truck. Using as a trade in.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't the tools to do the job.
I have to take it to somebody.
I believe I'll have to pay top dollar regardless of new remanned or junk yard pull engine. Really, I just want what is broke, fix, without having to do an engine swap.

In the end, once it's paid off, I'm not even keeping the truck. Using as a trade in.
Not trying to sound like a *** or anything but Honestly why not cut just your losses and let it go? if it turns out to be something major that you cant fix yourself. It just sounds like a never ending money pit for you truck has over300k on it if that's the orig engine really is is no just fix wats wrong with the motor at that mileage. Even when its running with another engine its not going to be worth much when trying to trade in or sell with 300+k on the rest of the truck.

OP
OP
Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jws123

I actually understand your point and agree but, I'm still paying on it. In order to get anything out of it as far as trade or sale, it would need to be running. So I'm still stuck with needing to fix it some how.

I could let them reposes it but I've got 4 years of on time payments on two vehicles simultaneously, to build my credit. That would set me back big time.

Last edited:

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Sounds like the only fix you need to trade it in is to put a cheap battery in it. A lot of hemi's have a tick and at 300K+ miles the dealer will only care it comes in under its own power.

If you don't want to sell/trade at this time I would just drive it. It would cost you as much to fix the lifter tick as it would to have a used engine installed. If it blows up you are really no worse off since you aren't driving it anyway.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I understand you owe 7k and it has 300k on it and you live in a apartment. You REALLY need to figure out if you toasted a bearing or a lifter. No matter what it is NOT going to be that cheap. Whether it is a crank kit or a cam and lifters. Personally I would pull the engine myself after putting a topper or tonneau cover on it and build it in the back of your truck. Or stack your cash and get a reman. Unless you can get a low miles engine at a GOOD price. I have been where you are and it is not easy BUT it can be done.

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2008 5.7 Hemi Ram Mega Cab 1500

I have a high milage 320k engine that eats oil but no oil leaks. I use a high mileage synthetic but still eats oil.

One day I forgot to check the oil and drove from Odessa TX to San Antonio TX. Just when I got home the engine stalled. I was able to start it back up and drive into apartment complex to park in a spot.

I checked the dipstick and it was dry. I felt like such a dumbazz. So I filled it up with oil and turned it over. It runs but has a tick noise that escalates with the accelerator.

I am still making payments on this truck 7k till paid off and I am afraid to drive it. 4 months later the battery is dead and I can't jump it.

I need a new battery just to start it but can't drive it, just wants to warm up the engine and shut it off just to keep it fresh and to keep the moisture out of the exhaust.

I contacted a shop and all they want to do is install a remanned engine, instead of fixing whats wrong. I don't have 5k to spend.

I'd like to just fix what's wrong, on the cheap as much as possible as I have a very tight budget to survive. Any help with diagnosis and or shop suggestions that can help, would be greatly appreciated.
Fill the crankcase with 20W50 Engine Oil and the noise should lessen considerably. Then, trade it in and get rid of it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not cool.
Dealer wont re sell it on the lot with that mileage so doesn't matter no one will get screwed they will just let it go to auction where it would sell for like 1500-2k lol.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dealer wont re sell it on the lot with that mileage so doesn't matter no one will get screwed they will just let it go to auction where it would sell for like 1500-2k lol.

If that's the case then he should be able to tell the dealer.

You can't guarantee that some poor (literally/financially) guy doesn't end up with it and try to get by for a few months/years.

Selling something "as is" or being upfront about the condition is one thing, everybody has the opportunity/responsibility to drive it, test it, and listen for problems. But lying/cheating about it is not cool. How many people are going to change the oil before comitting to a purchase? I feel bad for the OP's situation, but HE screwed up, not the guy who gets the truck next. It's fine to dump the truck, but suckering somebody else... well you guys do you, but karma comes around.

Elvira

Reaction score
A spun bearing does not tick, it knocks and hard. I expect a lifter has collapsed and that will be your starting point. If you are mechanically inclined, you can fix yourself cheap if it is lifters. The exhaust would of been ticking before unless your luck has run out and it broke studs to cause an exhaust tick. Although the oil didnt show on the dip stick, it only needs to be down a couple quarts to show nothing...thinking positive, maybe you still had lubrication but not enough fluid to keep lifters pumped up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not that mechanical inclined.
I can do exterior engine stuff but hasn't done interior engine stuff before.

Not enough knowledge for the job and no pot to **** in or window to throw it out of.
I'm just in a bad way and I guess that's just the way it is.

I am grateful people took the time out of their busy day to offer suggestions. Thank you.

At this point, I realize I screwed and that's that.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how foolish would it be to design a engine that seized if it lost only one or two qaurts of oil. hell theres probly alot of vehicles that use up to a qaurt between every oil change and is considered normal by the manufacturer.
if you lost 5 of the 7 qaurts that may be enough to hurt a bearing or something in the upper end

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6

Not enough knowledge for the job and no pot to **** in or window to throw it out of.

I am grateful people took the time out of their busy day to offer suggestions. Thank you.

Sounds like a lifter to me that’s what happens when you run low or out of oil. if your back in Odessa I can come take a look at it for you later this week if you like.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Idjit Dragon, We're taking a trip to visit family in Houston this weekend, how far are you from the Houston and or San Antonio area? I can help you with a battery if you haven't got one yet. We've all been down that road and needed a little help, just let me know.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Idjit Dragon, We're taking a trip to visit family in Houston this weekend, how far are you from the Houston and or San Antonio area? I can help you with a battery if you haven't got one yet. We've all been down that road and needed a little help, just let me know.
Now THIS is American's being all American, you are a great man!

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully you got a battery and fixed your truck. We're leaving town today 08:00. Would have loved to check out an older gen truck, best of luck to you.