2008 Ram 1500 - Trailer Wiring & Connectors Missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Patty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A great case of my dog ate my homework. My dog ate a huge chunk of the wiring harness, connectors, trailer receptacle out of the bumper, and the left side license plate light wiring and connector. I am left with the end of the wiring wrap that comes from the front of the truck with the individual wires hanging out. I think all the wires are present. They look to be (white, yellow, brown, green, black, black (larger)). So, it would seem like this should be a simple case of splicing back in a new trailer connector. This situation gets a little more complicated in that the 2 wires and plug that splits out of this bundle of wires and feeds the bulb for the left side of the license plate, is also missing. After not being able to find a definitive answer anywhere on the vast Internet, I finally crawled under another 2008 Ram to have a look at what was hopefully factory standard that came with this "Big Horn" quad cab edition.

The wiring seems to split off in 3 directions on this other truck. There are two wires (black and white) that indeed come down to provide the plug/bulb for the license plate. There is a 4-flat coupler that comes in as (green, yellow, brown, black) and exits to provide the trailer plugin (hanging loose) as (green, yellow, brown, white). Then there is another bundle of wires that goes up and feeds the back side of the trailer plug attached originally into the bumper. From the pictures I took, it looks to be a 7 spade round receptacle. Unfortunately, I cannot see any of the wire colors that come out of this section of the plug connector and goes into the round back side of the receptacle itself. Furthermore, I cannot see within these wiring bundles which wire colors that come from the front of this truck to make up these connections.

Which 7 wires are feeding this 7-way factory receptacle? Isn't there supposed to be a blue in a 7-way for the break? I have no blue wire anywhere. What colors are feeding the 7-way? Two black wires? What is splitting to feed what? What source colors from the front of the truck are feeding these other connectors? Remember, my truck only appears to have the 6 wires coming from the front.

These pics are from the other truck.

Trailer Side 4-way Adapter.jpg

7-Way Connector.jpg

Other End Trailer Connector.jpg

Truck Side 4-Way Adapter.jpg

2-Wires Feeding License Plate Connector.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeff Patty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not and I dont believe I will need it for the size trailer I will initially be pulling. When I reinstall the now missing 7-way receptacle, hopefully with a conversion 7 and 4-way, I just wanted to wire the original 7 back in properly. I though the 7 required a blue from my reading and knowing I did not have a blue wire, wasn't sure what colors I have available, were going to be used then to feed those 7 pins?

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All 7 pin connectors get wired the same. Do a search for them. You may have to test each wire, ie: which is right turn, left turn, brakes etc. You can also get a 7 wire receptacle tester to be sure it is righr when finished. Same with the 4 wire. I really hope your dog is successful in passing all that stuff!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Patty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I just haven't had much success in matching colors that I have available to the pins on diagrams (which tell which pins do what). This is where I got the idea that there was a blue wire needed and I dont have one. Again, I also only have 6 wires (not 7). I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an exact answer on matching up my colors (6 wires) with the 7-way receptacle and how to split off the other 2 wires needed for the license plate light. I appreciate your input. The dog in question (black Labrador) ate this off of the bottom of my truck and my son's truck a while ago and oh he is fine. Many other things he has eaten since. We know this, as he isn't our first lab, but they just always find new ways to destroy things you never considered before.

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 7th wire would be the blue wire. White....ground. Large black.....accessory 12 volt to trailer I think. Green, yellow, brown.....turn signals, brakes, running lights? with small black...????? Been so long I had to deal with this.....10 years.