2009 HEMI Misfire without tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apager

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Afternoon all,

Looking for some help on my 09 5.7L. I bought it with a cylinder three misfire. The truck runs at idle, but not well. The misfire seems to go away past 1K rpm. No ticking or noises at all from the engine. I have rules out plugs, coil, and injector.

So what next.

Thanks for your help, anything will be appreciated.
Apauger

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Double check coil, plug, injector It does not always tick if cam/lifter is wiped out my 2500 that had a bad cam was ran with a bad lobe for a long time so it made no noise. Pull valve cover see if rocker moves as much as the others.

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got an 09 ram hemi 5.7l that I only had a misfire at 3.5k rpms and accelerating. Never really had an out of the ordinary tick. Ran it 20k more miles till I finally got everything together to do a cam swap. I ruled out spark plugs, coils, injectors, mds solenoid. Never had a change. Never pulled the valve cover to verify if all of the rockers moved the same. Just ended up doing other diagnostics and reading online. Finally I said screw it and bought a cam kit and swapped it. So far 900~ miles in and no more misfire. Well, obviously I found the chewed up lobe when I pulled it. But my roller lifter wasn't seized. probably why I couldn't hear it.

OP
OP
A

Apager

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Double check coil, plug, injector It does not always tick if cam/lifter is wiped out my 2500 that had a bad cam was ran with a bad lobe for a long time so it made no noise. Pull valve cover see if rocker moves as much as the others.
Thank you!
After further inspection, the cylinder 3 rocker does not move much.

So.. what are my options? Can I try a seafoam treatment, or something of that sort before I tear into it?

Not really sure where to go from here.

Apauger

OP
OP
A

Apager

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you!

After further inspection, the cylinder 3 rocker does not move much.

So.. what are my options? Can I try a seafoam treatment, or something of that sort before I tear into it?

Not really sure where to go from here.

Apauger
Forgot to add. The cylinder in question has 150psi.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If a rocker on cylinder 3 rocker does not move much thats it its done time for cam/lifter replacement no way around it. If you are mechanically inclided and able to do it yourself parts cost about $1000 tons of vids and posts about how to do it on this forum.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If a rocker on cylinder 3 rocker does not move much thats it its done time for cam/lifter replacement no way around it. If you are mechanically inclided and able to do it yourself parts cost about $1000 tons of vids and posts about how to do it on this forum.
x2 cam is roast cam bible here

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just dont have the knowledge is the durango hemi and ram is the same for cam/lifters, way different HP numbers, maybe someone knows I'm sure.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking at this kit on Amazon, looks like all I’ll need? Thoughts?
Those parts are a chinesium knock off parts that's why so cheap, go with OEM parts if you'll be doing the work or anyone else.

Mississippi Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Had this on more than one occassion. Went to Amazon and swapped the MDS solenoids. That was cutting cyl #3 even after swapping plugs, wires and everything external.

OP
OP
A

Apager

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Had this on more than one occassion. Went to Amazon and swapped the MDS solenoids. That was cutting cyl #3 even after swapping plugs, wires and everything external.
Thanks for the advice..

Not sure if you have been following the whole thread but the rocker is not going all the way down.

I really hope that is not the case because I am almost halfway through a cam swap .

Apuger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
if you are going to do the work yourself -seriously give rockauto.com a try. that is if you are trying to keep costs down.
Ive heard that mopar works best in these engines as far as parts go but again there is a lot of info here and online to help.