Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 Laramie 4th gen engine dies randomly.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Hardcoretexan, Jan 16, 2020.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Hardcoretexan

Hardcoretexan Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Recently my truck has started dying, at first it would occur if I hit the brakes hard(didn't think much about it), now it has started dying more frequently and without any notice(still random). It always starts back up and runs(except once, I had to restart twice) and goes on. Its almost like the power or fuel gets shut off and its not like its when I hit a pot hole or anything, it has me stumped.
    Plugs were changed at 100k, everything is pretty much stock, no mods or add-ons either.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Fast69Mopar

Fast69Mopar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Its time to get a scan tool hooked up to this truck. Perform a wiggle test first on all relative sensors like the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, map sensor, etc. With a scan tool we can see if any sensors are losing their signal while driving. We can also take a look at the adaptive memory to see what is going on with the fuel control. Your basic scan tool from O'Reilly or Auto Zone wont do it. Gonna need a good scan tool like the WiTech or something like a Snap-On Solus Pro or a Verus.

3. Jtblackram

Jtblackram Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    This might be silly, but how often do you change your oil? Ive seen a truck come into my old shop before, customer stated it was stalling out, we found out he hadnt changed his oil in 30 thousand miles.

4. jmd4100

jmd4100 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Does this happen all the time or only after a fill up on fuel? I've seen a lot of trucks with evap issues stall out after a fill up from basically liquid fuel going where only vapors are supposed to be. I'd get a scan tool out and run a test. If it occurs frequently enough that you know it's going to do it, keep the tool on and run tests while driving till it stalls

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Rich5352 likes this.