2010 power wagon oil pressure codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric99223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there!
I have a 2010 dodge ram powerwagon 190k 5.7 hemi. I bought it 20k ago and have not had problem one until the other day. I was letting the truck tell me when to change the oil this time as I wanted to see how long it would go (I usually go 3k between) so at 5250 the oil change message came up, so I got the oil and was going to change it the next day or so. That night I was driving and had the check engine light come on. Used my autel elite to check the codes,. Only one p1524, I read the description online and changed the oil that night and cleared the codes (it was not low)
Thought everything was fine until I drove about 140 miles and the light came on again. This time it was 2 codes p1524 and p0521. Did some more research and decided to replace the oil pressure sender on the front of the block rt side. Used a standard brand switch. Cleared the codes and made it 120 miles or so before the light came on again. Same 2 codes. The harness looks fine and the gauge is reading normal. Live data on my scan tool says the VVT oil pressure is between 10 and 20 psi. I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Only use mopar brand sensors on these trucks ,others may cause odd readings, or Other odd things.

OP
OP
E

Eric99223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I installed a manual gauge today and teed it into the system at the oil pressure sensor. Oil pressure is down below 20 at idle and at 1100 ram it is about 28. I'm guessing the pressure relief spring in the pump gave up the ghost. I got a new melling pump along with a oil pan gasket and timing cover set today. I decided to get the standard flow and pressure pump instead of the high volume high pressure model. I just think it is too risky on a motor with 200k on it. But I would welcome any thoughts or opinions, and any experience you all might have. In the next 6-8 months I plan on doing a 392 crate motor swap on it any way.
Hopefully the pump will solve my current problem for now.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pick up tube might be sludged up, gonna have to open it one way or another.

OP
OP
E

Eric99223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I talked to melling and decided on the high pressure pump. Also a set of standard clevite 77 bearings (rods and mains) and dove in! None of the bearings seemed to have any excessive wear (rods were great and mains had some very light scratches, but I was already there and had the bearings, so they got replaced anyway. The old pump had some wear on the housing and the back cover but it didn't look destroyed. I had decided on the melling high pressure pump and a new pick up. Primed the pump and put her back together with a wix xp filter (that I pre filled) and redline oil. Pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it several times until the needle started to move on the pressure gauge, then replaced the fuse and fired her up! WOOHOO! Problem solved! Truck runs so different! So much smoother and way more responsive! Wondering what will happen with my mileage? I think the pressure was too low and the vvt was not working right!

I'm a happy camper and oil pressure Is way better! 40 plus at 1100 and 60 plus freeway. On a hard pull she will hit 70 plus!

Thanks as always for all the thoughts and opinions!

Eric..