2010 Ram 1500 HID Headlight Frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrfix71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been scouring the web looking for answers for some time now. Not inciting a debate on types of headlights or anything, but I am addicted to HID lights (6000K preference) and throwing light far ahead while driving. Been working on my 2010 Ram 1500 and never had this many issues getting HID lights on a vehicle before. But... after spending countless hours installing, testing, uninstalling, re-installing again with different components (relay kit), uninstalling and reinstalling with resister kit, and even more testing, it seems I am having a ground issue on the passenger side going thru the power module. During testing, I have substituted new ballasts & bulbs from Innovation and Xentec destined for other vehicles, and an unknown brand salvaged from other vehicles already upgraded, but three results are the same. Re-installing halogen bulbs in OEM configuration work fine. Temporarily grounding the HID circuit will light up the bulbs.

The schematics I have are not much help other showing power and ground going thru a power module. Being that the ground is computer controlled, I am leery of what adding an simple extra ground wire will do.

These headlight assemblies (with HID built in already) seem like a simple swap and are inexpensive, but I am sticking with 6000K white.

1646695650453.png

So, what HID setup has others been using successfully in same vehicle? Specific brand of ballast, resistor, and such would be helpful.

I sure miss working on old analog vehicle lighting systems!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I simply used bulbs, ignitors and ballasts.

Then used ALFA OBD to set the body control module to HID lights.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I ran Xtremevision HID 6000k with HYB CANBUS-safe 55w ballasts in my 2010 reflectors without issues.

OP
OP
M

Mrfix71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks.
I am chasing down my lost passenger headlight ground and have made it to behind the washer tank. From there, I cannot find a connector to test the wire and the schematics I have are not much help. Debating running a ground wire to the driver headlight ground since they surely go to a common connection somewhere anyway.

Anyone know where the headlight wires connect? According to the schematics, there should be a 6-wire connector (C-4) somewhere. The colors on the 6-wire connector I see do not match.

Grrrrrrr :emotions122:

OP
OP
M

Mrfix71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies and recommendations.
My ground issue went away after going all the way to the plug underneath the fuse box. After disconnecting, I didnt see anything wrong, but greased and reinstalled. The missing ground problem went away, as did an apparent (false) rear turn signal out message. Now, I have my intended headlight upgrade working.

OP
OP
M

Mrfix71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
** UPDATE **

My HIDs would randomly work or not (both at the same time) in auto or manual mode and when I had time to troubleshoot them, they would suddenly come on and function like normal. Later, they would not work again. If they suddenly did not work, I would get by driving with the fog lights that were swapped for LED bulbs at the same time. I was also getting false messages about rear turn signals not working, with the error switching from passenger side to driver side when I started the truck. The same time the HID headlights were installed, I swapped the taillights for LEDs that were computer-ready. They function normally, contrary to the error messages.

Frustrated, I recently decided to pull the HID headlight bulbs out and revert to using plug n play, canbus ready, LED high and low beams bulbs from Farhen that good reviews. Installed them yesterday but could not get the passenger low beam to work. Also noticed there was suddenly no change when switching from high to low beams on either side!

Tried reversing polarity on the passenger side low beam bulb by flipping the plug around without success. Testing from the back of the passenger headlight assembly socket with the bulb installed, I did get voltage on both white wires as well as the bulb lit up somewhat as the test light provided a resistive ground. The schematics I have show all the wiring going back to the TIPM, including the ground, so simply adding another ground to the black wire does not seem very wise.

Since headlights work in tandem, you would think they share power and ground between L/R sides. The lighting system should be much easier to troubleshoot and repair than this!