2011 1500 Hemi 5.7 Mod Suggestions/Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I am new here to the forum and new to Ram trucks. Just got a 2011 1500 I believe it is a sport trim model with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm using it as a daily driver but also to pull a travel trailer. I have a pretty decent list of mods. I am just looking for some feedback, discussion and any suggestions that people with more experience then me have with these trucks. I know a decent amount about cars in general and have a garage with a lift to do the work. The current list of mods I am thinking about are as follows:

-K&N cold air intake
-Pacesetter long tube headers with ceramic coating
-Mishimoto oil catch can
-Pedal Commander throttle controller
-Moes ported throttle bodies 87mm (not sure if this is the one im going with)
-Monroe adjustable air rear shock absorbers
-Front struts (haven't looked into these much, not sure if I need to replace these)
-Trailer brake controller (oem one is kind of expensive, aftermarket ones seem cheesy, not sure what I'll do)
-Gear change (big job to change both front and rear, questioning to add limited slip, do I add limited slip to front and rear, what gear do I do with.....)
-Nerf bars (too many options, only a cosmetic difference probably)

The truck had some aftermarket things when I got it, such as taunou cover (probably spelt that wrong), 10" android auto enabled radio (not sure if speakers are stock, will replace if they are will need suggestions), led lights everywhere, floor mats and fender flares.

I will try to respond to any thoughts and suggestions you guys have. Thanks so much.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBs are a waste of money on a stock cammed truck, spend that money on a 6.4L manifold swap instead to get actual HP gains
PC is a gimmick, you'll need a proper custom tune anyways for those LT headers . so look at HP tuner !
CAI are also a waste of money and not needed on these trucks. Just do the Air Box swap.
Gear change is easy since you have the good front diff and not that GEN 4 POS
Bills 5100 or 6112 for front struts
Get the OEM brake controller from a junk yard.

OP
OP
J

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I wasn't sure about the TB. I have heard different things about it. I had seen people tall about swapping for the 6.4L manifold. I wasn't sure how big a job that would be. If you have to do fuel rails and injectors and things and then tune it obviously. I knew that the pedal commander isn't a real mod. The throttle has bad lag, just a for fun add but would you be able to do that with a proper tuner? I have never used a tuner before and I'm not sure how they work or what to get. Thoughts on that would be great. What is an air box swap? And good idea about the brake controller, I'll have to keep an eye out at the junk yards.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IDK about the cold air intake. Lot of hype on those. To me they don't even look good. If it's an oiled air filter, there are reports of knocked-out MAF sensors over time (reportedly). I would personally just keep a good Wix filters in the original airbox. If Chrysler could pick up more power or economy by having an exposed air filter, and not mold or install an expensive air box, that would be the cheapest HP they could find.

Catch can?? If you do mostly highway driving, which it sounds like, shouldn't need it. There are a lot of high-mileage 5.7's on the forum and almost none of them are running a catch can. I have several vehicles well over 200k, a couple knocking on the door of 300k mi, still run great and never used a catch can. Shouldn't need unless you know your truck has extreme blow-by from bad rings, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Direct injection engines already have problems being really dirty. It just seemed like a small add on to try and keep it cleaner. Maybe it doesn't make a whole lot of difference but the less build up on the valves the better right?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What gears as said above, best way to get power in the wheel. The rfe benefits from a plate valve body upgrade along with all of the weaknesses in the valve body and you can tune for psi along with better gears if you don't have 3.92's or better if you have big tires 4.56.

When I first got my hemi I got my ass handed to me with way less HP, the worst part was it was a chevy. Your engine is a monster, a tweek here and there will pay big. But if you don't get the torque in the wheels you will be behind guys with better transmissions, which is like everyone else. gears and tranny, then worry about hemi.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Direct injection engines already have problems being really dirty. It just seemed like a small add on to try and keep it cleaner. Maybe it doesn't make a whole lot of difference but the less build up on the valves the better right?

Certainly can't hurt. If it's real clean running then you'll know pretty quick. One thing it 'does' do is keeps owners paying attention to whats going on with their engine (continuously monitoring the C Can). And that's always a good thing.

Note: I might have misunderstood your post, but for clarification, the Ram 5.7 is fuel injected, but not direct injected.

Your other mods sound pretty good. Bilstein shocks/lift are among the more popular brand. Trailer brake controller will be nice for your towing needs. You should be able to activate it using AlfaOBD ...which is a software tool you can put on Android devices and PC's ...for $50 (plus you need an OBD adapter). Don't forget to check out the Performance and Towing sections of the 4th gen forums. And the Tech write-ups ...for some additional Suspension and Brake controller info.

Sounds like you have a nice truck, even before your mods. Post a pic when you get a chance :)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gears as said above, best way to get power in the wheel. The rfe benefits from a plate valve body upgrade along with all of the weaknesses in the valve body and you can tune for psi along with better gears if you don't have 3.92's or better if you have big tires 4.56.

When I first got my hemi I got my ass handed to me with way less HP, the worst part was it was a chevy. Your engine is a monster, a tweek here and there will pay big. But if you don't get the torque in the wheels you will be behind guys with better transmissions, which is like everyone else. gears and tranny, then worry about hemi.
Funny you say getting served by a bowtie....
So, my buddy is a diehard Chevy/GMC guy, and he recently purchased a 19' GMC Sierra LTZ with the 6.2 with low mileage for a decent price...
Anyhoo.... we're on the 407 here in Ontario on a long straight stretch with no one around, and we smash it from a rolling 100km/h nose to nose start.... I GOT SERVED!!!!!!!
I initially pulled him at the smash by a nose, and then he just lit me up...
My governor kicked in at about 170km/h, and he kept pulling....
Oh the shame...lol (and I have every single quality bolt on mod available, and still got spanked)
I am getting HP tuned this coming season, and I hope to redeem myself by whopping his tail on our next rolling 100km/h go!

OP
OP
J

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I really haven't done anything to this truck yet so it has the stock 3.55 no limited slip. I was thinking of going to 3.92 or 4.10. I do not have bigger tires and don't think I need them just want it for the towing improvements. What does the valve body upgrade do? I dont know much about that.

OP
OP
J

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Certainly can't hurt. If it's real clean running then you'll know pretty quick. One thing it 'does' do is keeps owners paying attention to whats going on with their engine (continuously monitoring the C Can). And that's always a good thing.

Note: I might have misunderstood your post, but for clarification, the Ram 5.7 is fuel injected, but not direct injected.

Your other mods sound pretty good. Bilstein shocks/lift are among the more popular brand. Trailer brake controller will be nice for your towing needs. You should be able to activate it using AlfaOBD ...which is a software tool you can put on Android devices and PC's ...for $50 (plus you need an OBD adapter). Don't forget to check out the Performance and Towing sections of the 4th gen forums. And the Tech write-ups ...for some additional Suspension and Brake controller info.

Sounds like you have a nice truck, even before your mods. Post a pic when you get a chance :)
Good to know! Haha. I just assumed it was direct injected. Are newer models GDI?

Yes I will have to check out what other people have going on in these forums. There's a lot of information to sift through lol. Yeah I will post some picture here when I get a chance. I appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the new I-6 will be DI/turbo IIRC. But that doesn't help you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone,

I am new here to the forum and new to Ram trucks. Just got a 2011 1500 I believe it is a sport trim model with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm using it as a daily driver but also to pull a travel trailer. I have a pretty decent list of mods. I am just looking for some feedback, discussion and any suggestions that people with more experience then me have with these trucks. I know a decent amount about cars in general and have a garage with a lift to do the work. The current list of mods I am thinking about are as follows:

-K&N cold air intake
-Pacesetter long tube headers with ceramic coating
-Mishimoto oil catch can
-Pedal Commander throttle controller
-Moes ported throttle bodies 87mm (not sure if this is the one im going with)
-Monroe adjustable air rear shock absorbers
-Front struts (haven't looked into these much, not sure if I need to replace these)
-Trailer brake controller (oem one is kind of expensive, aftermarket ones seem cheesy, not sure what I'll do)
-Gear change (big job to change both front and rear, questioning to add limited slip, do I add limited slip to front and rear, what gear do I do with.....)
-Nerf bars (too many options, only a cosmetic difference probably)

The truck had some aftermarket things when I got it, such as taunou cover (probably spelt that wrong), 10" android auto enabled radio (not sure if speakers are stock, will replace if they are will need suggestions), led lights everywhere, floor mats and fender flares.

I will try to respond to any thoughts and suggestions you guys have. Thanks so much.
Check out doing an 8 speed swap,good chance you're stock gearing will be fine with the 8 speeds 4.71:1 first gear,and is probably comparable to doing a gear swap in both diffs pricewise.Guys that have done the 8 speed swap are claiming gains of close to a 1/2 second 0-60 or roughly 5 lengths. You're RFE transmission is the weak link,if you want to start adding power to your 5.7.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I really haven't done anything to this truck yet so it has the stock 3.55 no limited slip. I was thinking of going to 3.92 or 4.10. I do not have bigger tires and don't think I need them just want it for the towing improvements. What does the valve body upgrade do? I dont know much about that.
So yes I have 3.55 as well, biggest mistake ever if I knew I was gonna have this truck so long, my buddy has 3.92's, they are great. But, if you are gonna upgrade and you tow, I'd go straight to 4.56, bigger tires then 4.88. The valve body is the brains of transmision, it is where shift kits go, but the rfe has weaknesses and leaks that really need more attention then just a shift kit. Watch this video found by hemi395 one of his gem finds, some great info. Valve body upgrades and gears are money well spent, it is the foundation of what you want to built out. By themselves your truck will be like a ***** ape, then you start modding on that, well no more fearing the bowtie. There is no towing improvement better then gears, but you also need to fix the rfe as it is the weakest link in the chain. It surely wont be cheap either, but a solid foundation is a great way to build.

rick aka wildone knows his stuff, but gears are still the foundation and the 8 speed while great also has it's flaws, not sure anyone suggests with all it's flaws the 8 speed is better at towing then the flawed rfe, the 8 speed option is better for other reasons then strength while towing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So yes I have 3.55 as well, biggest mistake ever if I knew I was gonna have this truck so long, my buddy has 3.92's, they are great. But, if you are gonna upgrade and you tow, I'd go straight to 4.56, bigger tires then 4.88. The valve body is the brains of transmision, it is where shift kits go, but the rfe has weaknesses and leaks that really need more attention then just a shift kit. Watch this video found by hemi395 one of his gem finds, some great info. Valve body upgrades and gears are money well spent, it is the foundation of what you want to built out. By themselves your truck will be like a ***** ape, then you start modding on that, well no more fearing the bowtie. There is no towing improvement better then gears, but you also need to fix the rfe as it is the weakest link in the chain. It surely wont be cheap either, but a solid foundation is a great way to build.

rick aka wildone knows his stuff, but gears are still the foundation and the 8 speed while great also has it's flaws, not sure anyone suggests with all it's flaws the 8 speed is better at towing then the flawed rfe, the 8 speed option is better for other reasons then strength while towing.

The RFE has a torque rating of 400 lb-ft if i remember right,while the 8 speed stock is rated to hold 516 lb-ft of engine torque,and you can't beat the 8 speeds gearing for towing,lol.The only downside is,it's a bit harder to check the fluid level in it,compared to the RFE,but they don't normally leak fluid,so you don't have to check the level in them very often ,lol.For what he'll spend on the gear swap on a 4X4,he'll probably be able to put an 8 speed in it ,and have a more reliable transmission,that will take some horsepower if he ever wants to add more power to his 5.7.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do they even have an 8 speed for 2500's now? The 8 speed came out and for years the heavier duty rams kept the rfe. Not saying the rfe is a great option, it surely isn't, but I'm not sold the 8 speed is any better.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do they even have an 8 speed for 2500's now? The 8 speed came out and for years the heavier duty rams kept the rfe. Not saying the rfe is a great option, it surely isn't, but I'm not sold the 8 speed is any better.
The 2500's use the HD 8HP75 behind the 6.4's now.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I 2nd getting a tuner and a custom tune. I just went for hemifever and I am waiting for my PCM exchange to arrive in the mail.

OP
OP
J

Jheck1124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello again,

Got some updates. Put in the K&N cold air intake and BBK 1-3/4 inch tuned length polished ceramic headers and a pedal commander for throttle response. Truck feels great. I noticed it looks like there are two rad fans..... which im not sure why there are two. Any thoughts on that? I think my next project is the gear change. I think Im going to go with 4.10 and a yukon limited slip for the rear. The version of this truck with stock 3.92 have a tow capacity of arount 10K, I assume I will get a little more with 4.10 without plowing out my gas mileage. I dont think I need bigger than that. Are there any good write ups on here of the process? Will I need to reset the speedometer? I dont yet have a tuner and don't really have any idea how to use one if I did. Posting some picture of the truck here too.