2011 4.7l Check Engine Light Bulb IS Good, but Truck Never gave WARNING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LP380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not real familiar with 4.7 and there check engine light's that DON'T work? Work as a functional purpose and not just for looks! Why did my temperature gauge never get HOT, I would scroll to read antifreeze temp, its running 198-205, it was always good, just like tranny temp, or is it? I pulled truck out of garage and I see small wet spot where front center was. So I parked it to check it. At first I thought it was water pump,but it wasnt wet. It was lower. I've read some post's that some people thought the compressor was leaking. {may have part wrong, I've read a TON of posts) impossible for that to happen, checked to make sure the fan wasn't just blowing it back like another said. Decided to ciphon some antifreeze, smells like gas! Radiator antifreeze is like the color of "Gojo" orange, but whats strange is overflow and whats seeping from the oil pan, or appears to be, almost looks like diesel fuel???? I "baby" this truck, like the manual says as far as specific fluids, when, milage etc... because it is a 4.7, so is this a cross-contamination of Antifreeze causing failure? I know a water pump can fail and check engine light wont come on, but for the truck to obviously have either thermostat, AND/OR water pump failure, at some point my truck overheated! And rhe week it happened Indiana temps were around 62 degrees outside, so its not like the heater was blowing because it was 15 outside....unless thermostat just stuck open? Thanks, LP

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When the engine light comes on, you need to plug a scan tool into the obd2 port & get the code that points to the problem.

If you don't have a scan tool, just drive to an auto parts store like, Autozone, PepBoys, Advanced, Oriellys, etc.
All you have to do is ask & They will plug their scanner into the obd2 port & tell you what may be wrong