2011 5.7 Ram with Stage 1 cam, long tubes 6.4 intake, catless y pipe stock cat-back Dyno 345hp what’s going on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a cam failure in my 2011 Ram 5.7 5speed so I decided to upgrade the cam since I needed to change it.

I did long tube headers, catless y-pipe 6.4 intake and left the stock cat-back exhaust cause I didn’t want it too loud on a 89 octane tune.

These numbers seem very low, plus he told me it had a bad o2 sensor when he tuned it. I asked if that makes I difference he said no, but idk.
Seems way low can someone give me their thoughts?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most 5 speeds made 290 rwhp so doesn’t seem to far off honestly. Upgrade the catback to help the exhaust a bit more. That’s why a lot of people are doing the 8 speed swap. 320 rwhp stock in an 8 speed due to less parasitic loss

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had a cam failure in my 2011 Ram 5.7 5speed so I decided to upgrade the cam since I needed to change it.

I did long tube headers, catless y-pipe 6.4 intake and left the stock cat-back exhaust cause I didn’t want it too loud on a 89 octane tune.

These numbers seem very low, plus he told me it had a bad o2 sensor when he tuned it. I asked if that makes I difference he said no, but idk.
Seems way low can someone give me their thoughts?
What size tires do you have,as that can affect your dyno numbers,but at 345 with a 5 speed,those are pretty good numbers.Do you know if it was a Mustang or Dynojet dyno.

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hpp performance out of Dallas, TX who did the tune.
Found out they tuned it with a bad upper stream o2 sensor. Fouled out all the drivers side plugs. They said they are replacing the o2 sensor and the drivers plugs and are putting it back on the dyno tonight.
They said they have a heartbreaker dyno and a dyno jet. Not sure which one they used. I’ll be posting final numbers tomorrow once I know.

Good info on the 8spd trans, I didn’t realize they have that good of numbers , I might be doing the swap.

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those numbers seem about right, especially if on a mustang dyno. That 5 spd will give a decent loss in comparison to the 8 spd. Post the dyno sheet if you got it. Who tuned it?
Hpp performance out of Dallas, TX who did the tune.
Found out they tuned it with a bad upper stream o2 sensor. Fouled out all the drivers side plugs. They said they are replacing the o2 sensor and the drivers plugs and are putting it back on the dyno tonight.
They said they have a heartbreaker dyno and a dyno jet. Not sure which one they used. I’ll be posting final numbers tomorrow once I know.

Good info on the 8spd trans, I didn’t realize they have that good of numbers , I might be doing the swap.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hpp is good. I haven't heard about their Mopar tuning but I know they do great with Ford and GM so I am sure they do great work on Mopar.

The bad upper O2 probably made it run super rich so it sounds like you should get some more power out of it!

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hpp is good. I haven't heard about their Mopar tuning but I know they do great with Ford and GM so I am sure they do great work on Mopar.

The bad upper O2 probably made it run super rich so it sounds like you should get some more power out of it!
Im glad they are known to be good performance shop.
they told me today they were able to yield more power after changed the o2 and the fouled plugs.
They didn’t tell me how much but I’ll be posting the dyno sheet as soon as I get it.
so having 20” wheels, does that hurt horsepower transfer? Also what kind of power for 5 speeds have you seen with this set up? I was hoping for 400 whp but I don’t think it’s possible with the 8speed, what have you seen?
And lastly how much difference do you think upgrading the cat back will make?
Thanks for all y’all’s help, this has been so expensive.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the wheels, its more about weight. Rotational mass robs power. Lighter the wheel and tire package the more power it will put down. I havent seen many 5spds built up but I do know the 5spds arent as efficient with putting down the power like the 8spds.

Catback will gain you a few more hp. It wont be anything huge but it would gain a little more power.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im glad they are known to be good performance shop.
they told me today they were able to yield more power after changed the o2 and the fouled plugs.
They didn’t tell me how much but I’ll be posting the dyno sheet as soon as I get it.
so having 20” wheels, does that hurt horsepower transfer? Also what kind of power for 5 speeds have you seen with this set up? I was hoping for 400 whp but I don’t think it’s possible with the 8speed, what have you seen?
And lastly how much difference do you think upgrading the cat back will make?
Thanks for all y’all’s help, this has been so expensive.
A 8 speed swap will get you closer to 400 rwhp. What cam are you running,as it usually takes a fairly healthy cam to make 400 even with an 8 speed. If you throw a lightweight 17 inch drag pack rim set-up on it with a lighter weight drag radial or drag slick will help you make more power on the dyno.Just remember a dyno is nothing more then a tuning tool,as no 2 dyno's will give you the same output. What kind of torque is it making,as torque is the important number,a dyno doesn't read horsepower it reads torque,then uses a mathematical equation to arrive at a horsepower number. Torque X RPM divided by 5252 = horsepower

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Glad to hear it.
With those mods adding in the car-back and bumping to a 93 tune you think I could pick up another 20hp or is that a stretch?

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A 8 speed swap will get you closer to 400 rwhp. What cam are you running,as it usually takes a fairly healthy cam to make 400 even with an 8 speed. If you throw a lightweight 17 inch drag pack rim set-up on it with a lighter weight drag radial or drag slick will help you make more power on the dyno.Just remember a dyno is nothing more then a tuning tool,as no 2 dyno's will give you the same output. What kind of torque is it making,as torque is the important number,a dyno doesn't read horsepower it reads torque,then uses a mathematical equation to arrive at a horsepower number. Torque X RPM divided by 5252 = horsepower
good to know that about Torque, I was not aware it worked like that so good info, thanks. Either tomorrow or Monday I will have the Dyno sheet and will be posting it on the 5spd. They told me 300 wheel horsepower is what they usually see on these stock but I’m not so sure since my cam was already trashed by the time I changed it.
The cam is a stage 1 Texas speed cam TSP package with the MDS delete, hardened valves etc.
As far as the dyno I’m not too hung up on numbers, I just want it to run as well as it can.

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also bear with me as I’m learning to use this site, I’m new here. Sorry for a few of the same posts

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
good to know that about Torque, I was not aware it worked like that so good info, thanks. Either tomorrow or Monday I will have the Dyno sheet and will be posting it on the 5spd. They told me 300 wheel horsepower is what they usually see on these stock but I’m not so sure since my cam was already trashed by the time I changed it.
The cam is a stage 1 Texas speed cam TSP package with the MDS delete, hardened valves etc.
As far as the dyno I’m not too hung up on numbers, I just want it to run as well as it can.
You might get to 380 with that cam and lightweight wheels,but i think it's a bit small to get you to 400rwhp.
Throw a 75 shot of nitrous on it,and you'll be well into the mid 400's easily,and you'll blow the back tires off when you launch it,lol

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear it.
With those mods adding in the car-back and bumping to a 93 tune you think I could pick up another 20hp or is that a stretch?

Yes possibly another 20hp. The catback will give a few and then the tuner can bump up the timing a little with some good 93 octane which will get you some hp and tq!

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might get to 380 with that cam and lightweight wheels,but i think it's a bit small to get you to 400rwhp.
Throw a 75 shot of nitrous on it,and you'll be well into the mid 400's easily,and you'll blow the back tires off when you launch it,lol
Very tempting, I’ve always wanted NOS.
380 whp would be nice. I’m curious where the tunger got it with a good o2 sensor and good plugs.
Be on the lookout for the dyno numbers Tuesday if not Monday evening

OP
OP
S

Scomer412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very tempting, I’ve always wanted NOS.
380 whp would be nice. I’m curious where the tunger got it with a good o2 sensor and good plugs.
Be on the lookout for the dyno numbers Tuesday if not Monday evening
Tuner not tunger…lol