2011 loaded Sport 45k miles for $22k - yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering buying it tomorrow. RAM dealer. Also want a 5yr/60k Ziegler warranty ($3k). Truck is for winter use and occasional hauling.

Is this a good price or not? Any major maintenance expected or to ask about at this mileage? Any issues with 2011 model year?

Will be putting about 2000 miles per year.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Considering buying it tomorrow. RAM dealer. Also want a 5yr/60k Ziegler warranty ($3k). Truck is for winter use and occasional hauling.

Is this a good price or not? Any major maintenance expected or ask to this about atmileage? Any issues with 2011 model year?
What are the reviews saying about the Ziegler warranty

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like a good price, it's got extremely low miles for the year. What other specs are they? V8 or V6? Crew or Quad Cab, 4x4 or 4x2, is it clean inside and out? Check inside, out and underneath for any physical damage or rust. Clean Car Fax? Was the vehicle a rental, where was the truck before if it was from a rust belt state that's something to keep in mind. Those are just some things that I think of when going through the used truck buying process. If it all checks out I'd say go for it. I love the Sport models. I've never heard of the Ziegler warranty so I don't have any information for you there but just from what I read I know people like to buy a Mopar warranty just because 3rd parties like to do anything in their power to not pay out for anything that may go wrong. Just from what I read, don't quote me on it, I'm not a warranty expert

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Careful of Ziegler. They’re a big chain but they aren’t always straight with the buyer. Just like any other dealer. You’re in Schaumburg, IL?? I tried to buy from them and they tried working a bait and switch on me. I won’t go back to them again. Make sure all the tires are the same as they don’t always do that either. On a 4WD model that’s basically mandatory. I bought a 2013 1500 Crew Cab Sport fully loaded, 4” lift, 35” BF Goodrich AT KO2 tires for $22000 but it had 60k miles on it but looks perfect and runs beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's Canadian. From KINDERSLEY, SK. (one owner)

Never mind about warranty, I guess I can't buy it.

But based on the condition and its origin, is it worth trying to negotiate? What's the price difference between US and CA similarly equipped truck? They discounted it pretty heavily based on KBB ($4500 under I think)

The truck is a crew cab 4x4 V8, hasn't seen in in person yet, but looks very clean in pictures. Autocheck clean (no carfax). Personal vehicle.

Last edited:

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's $4500 under then you might not have much room to negotiate but it wouldn't hurt to try. If its been on the lot for a while then you'll have more room to wiggle. If you can't get down on price maybe they can throw in some free stuff for ya. Tint, Steps, Remote Start (if it doesn't have it) just some stuff like that. Obviously not all of that but something is better then nothing.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 was a particularly bad year for the lifters/camshafts going bad.

Also 22k is pretty high for a 2011. I’m in Ontario and you can find a similar truck for 16-17k.

Do a lot of reading in the engine/performance section of the forums and you’ll find tons of horror stories about the camshaft/lifter issue. And being Canadian that’s a $4000+ bill right there if it goes out on you

NanaW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Is this a good price or not? Any major maintenance expected or to ask about at this mileage? Any issues with 2011 model year?

Will be putting about 2000 miles per year.

I just traded that exact truck wow I really liked it too mine was white 2011 60k, CC, Sport all the bells an whistles well almost all [emoji23]Hemi 5.7 no issues ran like a champ only traded it because we bought a TT needed to go bigger. 20k is a bit high should sell for about 17-18k but if it’s in great condition and no accidents go for it. I bet you could get them down to 19 good luck

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
According to the forums, 2011 has the highest can lifter failure rate. Without some kind of extended warranty, I would pass.

OP
OP
N

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At what mileage do these cam lifters start to fail usually?

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine

But based on the condition and its origin, is it worth trying to negotiate? What's the price difference between US and CA similarly equipped truck? They discounted it pretty heavily based on KBB ($4500 under I think)

The truck is a crew cab 4x4 V8, hasn't seen in in person yet, but looks very clean in pictures. Autocheck clean (no carfax). Personal vehicle.

At what mileage do these cam lifters start to fail usually?

We were just recently shopping for a new to us truck.

From what I found the cam/lifted issue started to show around 100k miles.

As for being a Canadian truck, I would pass based on just that. They are usually rusted up pretty bad underneath. Obviously there are exceptions, but even a ‘17 (think it was) with similar mileage was starting to show a fair amount of rust underneath. Looked great otherwise!!!

The other reason to skip the Canadian vehicles is if there is any type of recall, it is not covered from what I was told. The recall only applies to vehicles shipped to U.S. dealers initially.

We had looked at an ‘11 Sport crew cab 4wd (local to us in Mid Michigan) that was loaded up pretty good. Only thing missing was the heated seats, but had the leather option.... it had ~106k and he was firm at $18k. I never did run the carfax, but it looked like a U.S. truck. Was very clean.... with fairly new tires.

Good luck shopping!!!

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any warranty on a Canadian truck is void in the US. I bought a Canadian truck here in IL and was told that as soon as I talked to a dealership here. I bought it anyways being a mechanic with some Dodge experience. My truck has minor surface rust on the frame but it’s solid and mine has 67000 miles on it now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Hey that's my old home town,lol.It's a Farming and Oil and Gas community,if it was owned by an older farmer odds are it's a good buy,if it came out of the oil patch avoid it.Check underneath as it's pretty well all gravel roads in the area,so it might have a fair bit of dried mud underneath.Kind of curious how it ended up down there,there are a few US dealers that do buy up here because of the dollar differences though.I'd be careful of the warrenty,as there's reports of guys having issues with warrenties on Canadian trucks that they've bought in the States,so i'd check your add-on warrenty with a fine tooth comb. If by chance you can get the name of the original owner of it,there is a chance I might know them,or my brother or Mom might know them,as they are still in Kindersley.It's a small town,one where everybody pretty well knows everybody else,lol.

OP
OP
N

Nuieve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey that's my old home town,lol.It's a Farming and Oil and Gas community,if it was owned by an older farmer odds are it's a good buy,if it came out of the oil patch avoid it.Check underneath as it's pretty well all gravel roads in the area,so it might have a fair bit of dried mud underneath.Kind of curious how it ended up down there,there are a few US dealers that do buy up here because of the dollar differences though.I'd be careful of the warrenty,as there's reports of guys having issues with warrenties on Canadian trucks that they've bought in the States,so i'd check your add-on warrenty with a fine tooth comb. If by chance you can get the name of the original owner of it,there is a chance I might know them,or my brother or Mom might know them,as they are still in Kindersley.It's a small town,one where everybody pretty well knows everybody else,lol.

What are the odds... Do they use salt or sand in your town in the winter?

I may stop by the dealer today to check it out... and see what else they have...

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^

In that case I'll pass, doesn't feel right. Will keep looking. Thanks for the warning.

It’s honestly not a bad deal. I have access to the dealer auctions and 2011 sports used with 80-110k they are getting bought at auction for 17-18k, and then the dealers mark them up. There was one silver sport with 50k on it that went for 20k. I’d say it’s a good deal if you can get it for 22k and it’s clean..

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E98272A6-4B87-4F9C-B606-DDB27A4657F7.png Here is a screen shot, this is for 2011 crew cab, 5.7 4x4. It doesn’t give you the details of options but if the one you are looking at is loaded, it’s going to be on the high end anyways. The number under the mileage is condition, 5 is the highest.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What are the odds... Do they use salt or sand in your town in the winter?

I may stop by the dealer today to check it out... and see what else they have...

No,that's a fable from Ontario,where the roads are heavily salted,the guy from Michigan whining about rusted Canuck trucks is local to Ontario i'm guessing,and they use as much salt in Michigan as they do in Ontario as far as i'm concerned,lol. It's basically a gravel road community,there's only 2 highways,one goes North/South the other East/West,but the majority of farmers live off the highways on gravel roads which are never usually salted,but muddy as hell when it rains in the summer,lol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any warranty on a Canadian truck is void in the US. I bought a Canadian truck here in IL and was told that as soon as I talked to a dealership here. I bought it anyways being a mechanic with some Dodge experience. My truck has minor surface rust on the frame but it’s solid and mine has 67000 miles on it now.

Wow, you're the first person I've heard of that was told by the dealer of the trucks origin and warranty status. Good for that dealer!