2011 loaded Sport 45k miles for $22k - yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are a lot of Canadian trucks around here for sale and they’re generally a little cheaper because they have no warranty here. Use this link to check the options and where it was made and where the warranty is for: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing. Good luck and hopefully you get a good deal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let’s do the math

45,000 miles

You plan on driving it 2000 miles per year.

Let’s pretend your cam goes out at 100,000 miles.

55,000 divided by 2000 is 27.5. 27.5 years to destroy the cam. That is IF it even happens.

Buy the truck. Do NOT buy the $3000 extended warranty. Really? Is any sane person going to spend $3000 on a warranty for a $4000 repair?

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will never own another truck without an extended warranty in fact when this one’s up in 72,000 miles I’ll be buying another one from FCA. It makes perfect sense to spend 3000 because you get to pay it out if you have to buy a new transmission you have to pay that all at once they don’t finance.....same with the new motor. Why in earth would anyone roll those dice?

Not this boy been around too long to fall for that one. The law of averages is not friendly to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At what mileage do these cam lifters start to fail usually?

Keep in mind, I haven't had this issue, but I have seen folks post they had this under 36000 miles covered under warranty. Imho it could happen at anytime. You could peruse the synthetic oil thread and see other folks thoughts.

SkylarMelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^

In that case I'll pass, doesn't feel right. Will keep looking. Thanks for the warning.

I got my 2011 SLT Quad Cab 5.7 for 16k CAD in BC. Was a steal of a deal I thought, but I did have the cam issue shortly after buying lol. $2500 later though and I still think it's worth it! I'm seeing 2012s in BC for 20+ so I think I did good.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deck, if the customer comes out ahead more often than the warranty company, explain to me how a warranty company stays in business?

12 cents out of every dollar the warranty company takes in actually goes towards fixing vehicles. The other 88 cents go towards the salesman's commission, and business overhead.

blade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 was a particularly bad year for the lifters/camshafts going bad.

Also 22k is pretty high for a 2011. I’m in Ontario and you can find a similar truck for 16-17k.

Do a lot of reading in the engine/performance section of the forums and you’ll find tons of horror stories about the camshaft/lifter issue. And being Canadian that’s a $4000+ bill right there if it goes out on you

the truck in my profile pic is 2011 st quad cab 5.7 hemi 4x4 and i paid 24k cash for it on 12/31/2010

$22k is way high

$15k max

not to mention lifter cam disaster mentioned above although mine has 111k miles and no problems but i have mds turned off and run royal purple 5w 20

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people come out ahead on extended warranties. Some people come out ahead on the lottery also. But not many.

If you have a warranty, more than likely, you're not going to get a new transmission if/when yours goes out. The warranty company is going to fix just enough to get you going.

On average, if invested wisely, your money doubles every 7 years. In 7 years, your $3000, on average will be $6000. Pretty sure you can have a new transmission installed for $6K. You can go to whomever you choose, and negotiate a cash price.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Deck, if the customer comes out ahead more often than the warranty company, explain to me how a warranty company stays in business?

12 cents out of every dollar the warranty company takes in actually goes towards fixing vehicles. The other 88 cents go towards the salesman's commission, and business overhead.

One explanation is that the warranty is not transferable and the majority of folks trade the vehicle in every 4 to 5 years, the warranty is never used. Not to mention, the money just doesn't sit in a cash box, it is invested. Think about the return on the invested millions FCA makes just on warranty sales. 88 cents out of every dollar for commissions and overhead is absurd.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's Canadian. From KINDERSLEY, SK. (one owner)

Never mind about warranty, I guess I can't buy it.

But based on the condition and its origin, is it worth trying to negotiate? What's the price difference between US and CA similarly equipped truck? They discounted it pretty heavily based on KBB ($4500 under I think)

The truck is a crew cab 4x4 V8, hasn't seen in in person yet, but looks very clean in pictures. Autocheck clean (no carfax). Personal vehicle.
My son worked there a while back, I read your first post 2 times, an I don't see any info on price, so no comment,, But the US auction /dealers are buying Canadian truck cheap and peddling them down there, don't be looking for any warranty, We in Canada get screwed on US warranty and parts stuff all the time.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
the truck in my profile pic is 2011 st quad cab 5.7 hemi 4x4 and i paid 24k cash for it on 12/31/2010

$22k is way high

$15k max

not to mention lifter cam disaster mentioned above although mine has 111k miles and no problems but i have mds turned off and run royal purple 5w 20
ya had mine programmed mds is off amisoil 58,000 no problems really think there mds is the worse idea I ve ever seen just added to many parts to brake down on it I bet hope not mine I need a 100,000 miles more on it !

DM1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

$22k is way high

$15k max

I think $22k is average. My 2015 Sport I purchased in 2018 was $32K

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I bought my 2012 Ram certified pre-owned with 32,000 miles on it in December of 2016. I paid $2,600 for an extended warranty until 100k or 2/20 (whichever is first) and I can tell you right now I’ve had over $6,000 in warranty repairs including rack and pinion steering, exhaust manifold bolts (twice), and a ton of other stuff. I will never buy another vehicle without a warranty.

2012 Ram RCSB 5.7: R/T Replica (in progress) | Mufflex DOD-M80 Y-Pipe Muffler Delete | K&N Intake | Pedal Commander | AlphaRex V1 Headlights | Innovited 35w 6000k HID Low Beam | Katana LED High Beam | MicTuning LED Fog Bulbs | Opt7 LED Tailgate Strip | All Black & Red Badges | Custom Hood & Bed Side Vinyl Graphics | Custom Fire HD 8” Tablet Radio | Alpha OBD w/ Mx+... [Coming Soon: AlphaRex Custom RGB Headlight Build | Katzkins Leather Reupholster + Custom Wrapped Door Panels & lots more]

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you turn off MDS with AlphaOBD? Also, every time I get into my truck I use the gear selector to put it into 6th gear, which turns off MDS. I’ve been doing this since I found out about this trick like 6 months after I got my truck.

2012 Ram RCSB 5.7: R/T Replica (in progress) | Mufflex DOD-M80 Y-Pipe Muffler Delete | K&N Intake | Pedal Commander | AlphaRex V1 Headlights | Innovited 35w 6000k HID Low Beam | Katana LED High Beam | MicTuning LED Fog Bulbs | Opt7 LED Tailgate Strip | All Black & Red Badges | Custom Hood & Bed Side Vinyl Graphics | Custom Fire HD 8” Tablet Radio | Alpha OBD w/ Mx+... [Coming Soon: AlphaRex Custom RGB Headlight Build | Katzkins Leather Reupholster + Custom Wrapped Door Panels & lots more]

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can you turn off MDS with AlphaOBD? Also, every time I get into my truck I use the gear selector to put it into 6th gear, which turns off MDS. I’ve been doing this since I found out about this trick like 6 months after I got my truck.

If you are driving into center city everyday, yup, use the shifter to turn it off. Long hwy trips, the mds will net an increase in mpg.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you are driving into center city everyday, yup, use the shifter to turn it off. Long hwy trips, the mds will net an increase in mpg.

I don’t even notice a difference, as I’ve left MDS on before while on the highway to see what my MPG was, and it didn’t seem to really be any better.

One thing I absolutely HATE about my truck is that if I don’t have the gear selector on in 6th gear (or any gear) the fricken MDS will kick in and then I go to accelerate into traffic and my truck feels like it farts and stutters then I feel MDS turn off and I feel my engine power wake up.

I’d buy a tuner to disable MDS but I don’t plan on having my truck past Feb 2020 cause my extended warranty runs out then. But I do plan on getting a new Ram, perhaps a 2019 new style.