2011 Ram 1500 P0933 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. Im new to this forum and what better way to do a inteoduction through a issue post lol.

Well the check engine light came on a couple weeks ago and i recently got the code from a scanner from autozone. The code is P0933 hydraulic pressure. Ive been searching everywhere on what to do to fix it and saw they most people took their truck to the dealer. Unfortuantely my warranty expired before this happened.

The transmission does not act funny what so over but sometimes it jumps when i put it in drive or reverse. While driving i have no problems what so ever. I cleared the code by unplugging the battery and it ran very smooth. After a 3rd start up the check engine light came back on with same code. P0933 is the only code i have. My registration needs renewl soon and i need to get my inspection done to renew my registration sticker (im from houston, tx by the way).

What needs to be replaced to get this fixed? What troubleshooting can i persue before replacing parts? Any input helps.

Thank you.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0933-HYDRAULIC PRESSURE SENSOR RANGE/PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation

Line pressure is electronically controlled by the Transmission Control System and is measured by the Line Pressure Sensor (LPS). The desired line pressure is continuously being compared to the actual line pressure and is regulated by electronically changing the duty cycle of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS). (5% duty cycle = solenoid off = max line pressure, 62% duty cycle = solenoid on = min line pressure).

The Transmission Control System calculates the desired line pressure based on inputs from the transmission and engine. A calculated torque input to the transmission is used as the primary input of the desired line pressure calculation and is called Torque Based Line Pressure. In addition, the line pressure is set to a preset level 827 to 931 kPa (120 to 135 psi) during shifts and in Park and Neutral to ensure consistent shift quality.

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on, engine running, with the transmission in gear.

Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) continuously monitors Actual Line Pressure and compares it to Desired Line Pressure. If the Actual Line Pressure reading is more than 172.4 kPa (25 psi) higher than the Desired Line Pressure, but is less than the highest Line Pressure ever used in the current gear, the DTC sets.

Possible Causes

RELATED DTCS PRESENT
LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1. DETERMINING IF RELATED DTCS ARE PRESENT

1. With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTCs.

Are there any other line pressure related DTCs present?

Yes
(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the test for P0934 or P0935 first if present.

No
Go To 2

2. COMPARE ACTUAL LINE PRESSURE TO DESIRED LINE PRESSURE

CAUTION:
Apply Parking Brake

1. Start the engine.

CAUTION:
Firmly apply the brakes.

2. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure, Desired Line Pressure and the TPS degrees.
3. While firmly applying the brakes, place the shifter in reverse, then slowly press the accelerator pedal to a TPS degree of 15°.
4. Compare the Line Pressure reading to the Desired Line Pressure reading on the scan tool.

Does the Line Pressure stay within ± 34 kPa or 5 psi of the Desired Line Pressure?

No
Go To 3

Yes
Go To 6

3. CHECK LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING

1. Ignition on, engine not running.
2. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure Sensor voltage while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors pertaining to the Line Pressure Sensor and the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly.

Did the voltage remain steady while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors?

Yes
Go To 4

No
Disconnect and properly reconnect the Line Pressure Sensor connector. Inspect terminals and repair as necessary.
Perform the 545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

4. CHECK PCM AND WIRING

1. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
2. Remove the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM.

CAUTION:
Removal of the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.

WARNING:
The Ignition Switch Feed fuse must be removed from the TIPM. Failure to do so can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

3. Install the Transmission Simulator 8333B .
4. With the Transmission Simulator select the "OFF" position on the "Input/Output Speed" switch.
5. Ignition on, engine not running.
6. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure during the following step.
7. With the Transmission Simulator, turn the selector switch to each of the three Line Pressure positions.

NOTE: All three scan tool Line Pressure readings should be steady and ±14 kPa or 2.0 psi of the reading specified on the Transmission Simulator.

Does the Line Pressure on the scan tool fluctuate up and down more than 69 kPa or 10 psi at any of the 3 line pressure positions on the Transmission Simulator?

Yes
Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the PCM in accordance with the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform Quick Learn.
Perform the 545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No
Go To 5

5. CHECK THE LINE PRESSURE SENSOR

2. Disconnect the Transmission Simulator 8333B and reconnect all previously disconnected connectors.
3. Install the Line Pressure Adaptor 8259 , and the Pressure Gauge C-3293-SP , 0 to 2000 kPa (0 to 300 psi).
4. Start the engine in park.
5. Monitor the line pressure readings of both the scan tool and the pressure gauge and compare the two readings.

Is the line pressure gauge reading within 34 kPa (5 psi) of the scan tool reading?

Yes
Repair internal transmission and inspect the oil pump per the Service information and replace if necessary. If no problems are found, replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly - possible cause is the Pressure Control Solenoid is stuck.

No
Replace the Line Pressure Sensor in accordance with the Service Information.

6. CHECK WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
3. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
4. With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

Where there any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.

No
Test Complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the fluid level this morning and its good.

The pressure sensor range/performance is whats coming up. Is this the sensor in back of the transmission by the driveshaft on the passenger side??

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P0933-HYDRAULIC PRESSURE SENSOR RANGE/PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation

Line pressure is electronically controlled by the Transmission Control System and is measured by the Line Pressure Sensor (LPS). The desired line pressure is continuously being compared to the actual line pressure and is regulated by electronically changing the duty cycle of the Pressure Control Solenoid (PCS). (5% duty cycle = solenoid off = max line pressure, 62% duty cycle = solenoid on = min line pressure).

The Transmission Control System calculates the desired line pressure based on inputs from the transmission and engine. A calculated torque input to the transmission is used as the primary input of the desired line pressure calculation and is called Torque Based Line Pressure. In addition, the line pressure is set to a preset level 827 to 931 kPa (120 to 135 psi) during shifts and in Park and Neutral to ensure consistent shift quality.

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on, engine running, with the transmission in gear.

Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) continuously monitors Actual Line Pressure and compares it to Desired Line Pressure. If the Actual Line Pressure reading is more than 172.4 kPa (25 psi) higher than the Desired Line Pressure, but is less than the highest Line Pressure ever used in the current gear, the DTC sets.

Possible Causes

RELATED DTCS PRESENT
LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1. DETERMINING IF RELATED DTCS ARE PRESENT

1. With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTCs.

Are there any other line pressure related DTCs present?

Yes
(Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the test for P0934 or P0935 first if present.

No
Go To 2

2. COMPARE ACTUAL LINE PRESSURE TO DESIRED LINE PRESSURE

CAUTION:
Apply Parking Brake

1. Start the engine.

CAUTION:
Firmly apply the brakes.

2. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure, Desired Line Pressure and the TPS degrees.
3. While firmly applying the brakes, place the shifter in reverse, then slowly press the accelerator pedal to a TPS degree of 15°.
4. Compare the Line Pressure reading to the Desired Line Pressure reading on the scan tool.

Does the Line Pressure stay within ± 34 kPa or 5 psi of the Desired Line Pressure?

No
Go To 3

Yes
Go To 6

3. CHECK LINE PRESSURE CONNECTOR AND WIRING

1. Ignition on, engine not running.
2. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure Sensor voltage while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors pertaining to the Line Pressure Sensor and the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly.

Did the voltage remain steady while wiggling the wiring harness and connectors?

Yes
Go To 4

No
Disconnect and properly reconnect the Line Pressure Sensor connector. Inspect terminals and repair as necessary.

4. CHECK PCM AND WIRING

2. Remove the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM.

CAUTION:
Removal of the Ignition Switch Feed fuse from the TIPM will prevent the vehicle from being started in gear.

WARNING:
The Ignition Switch Feed fuse must be removed from the TIPM. Failure to do so can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

3. Install the Transmission Simulator 8333B .
4. With the Transmission Simulator select the "OFF" position on the "Input/Output Speed" switch.
5. Ignition on, engine not running.
6. With the scan tool, monitor the Line Pressure during the following step.
7. With the Transmission Simulator, turn the selector switch to each of the three Line Pressure positions.

NOTE: All three scan tool Line Pressure readings should be steady and ±14 kPa or 2.0 psi of the reading specified on the Transmission Simulator.

Does the Line Pressure on the scan tool fluctuate up and down more than 69 kPa or 10 psi at any of the 3 line pressure positions on the Transmission Simulator?

Yes
Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the PCM in accordance with the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform Quick Learn.

No
Go To 5

5. CHECK THE LINE PRESSURE SENSOR

2. Disconnect the Transmission Simulator 8333B and reconnect all previously disconnected connectors.
3. Install the Line Pressure Adaptor 8259 , and the Pressure Gauge C-3293-SP , 0 to 2000 kPa (0 to 300 psi).
4. Start the engine in park.
5. Monitor the line pressure readings of both the scan tool and the pressure gauge and compare the two readings.

Is the line pressure gauge reading within 34 kPa (5 psi) of the scan tool reading?

Yes
Repair internal transmission and inspect the oil pump per the Service information and replace if necessary. If no problems are found, replace the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly - possible cause is the Pressure Control Solenoid is stuck.

No
Replace the Line Pressure Sensor in accordance with the Service Information.

6. CHECK WIRING AND CONNECTORS

1. The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
2. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
3. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits.
4. With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.

Where there any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.

No
Test Complete.

Wow thats a long troubleshooting procedure. Sucks that i dont have the necessary tools to perform this otherwise i would. Thanks for the information!

I did check all connections going to the tranny and nothing seems to be lose or damaged. I even looked inside the male and female plugs that i was able to get to..

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The diagram I have access to is very vague as to the exact location. The sensor is mounted to the outside of the transmission case. There are 3 sensors mounted, 2 of them are speed sensors and appear to be on one side of the case. The 3rd is the pressure sensor and appears to be on the side opposite the 2 speed sensors.

The removal procedure simply states:

Raise vehicle.

Place a suitable fluid catch pan under the transmission.

Remove the wiring connector from the line pressure sensor (2).

Remove the bolt holding the line pressure sensor (2) to the transmission case.

Remove the line pressure sensor (2) from the transmission case.

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you cherryred. You have been a big help. I will change out the line pressure sensor asap and update soon.

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so yesterday i was able to change out the line pressure transducer. Went to the deal and bought a brand new one.

I reset the code by taking off the negative cable from the battery.

Took the truck out for a drive for about 10 minutes and no light.

I turn the truck off when i get back home and then turn the truck back on and the check engine light comes back on.

While under the truck i was able to see transmission fluid around the tunnel of the chassis. I cant seem to find where its coming from as the tranny is completely dry. Could another sensor leaking tranny fluid keep causing this code to pop up???

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still having the same issue.

Now later from the time i posted this issue, im noticing the transmission slipping a lil when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Any help??

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
did you by chance change the transmission fluid and filters recently? Could it be possible that the Pan filter was not seated properly in the intake?

reason I ask is I had this issue soon after performing this service using the filter from auto parts store. the filter did not seat well and came loose causing a Low line pressure issue. Remedy for me was to have the dealer perform the drain and replace that filter. Cost me $250 though.

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: I still cannot figure out why this DTC is still haunting me.

It has been a while since I messed with the truck due to work scheduling. I have not taken the pan off the transmission yet to check the filter.

Also, there is no more hard shifting through gears anymore, specifically 2nd to 3rd. Transmission shifts very smoothly. Im stoked as to why im still getting this code. This makes me not want to take anything apart from the drivetrain.

I will soon be changing the transmission fluid since it is due for maintenance.

Anymore ideas and things to look for would be appreciated. Thank you.

OP
OP
M

Midnight_rex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a very late update but I have fixed the issue with the DTC. I found that the power wire from the ECM to the male connector that plugs into the hydraulic sensor at the back of the transmission was not reading any voltage. Also there was no continuity. Since it was a hassle to track down where the break in curcuit was, I cut that power reference wire completely from the harness and wired in a new wire from the ECM plug (C1 Black plug- pin#27) to the pin of the male plug that plugs into the hydraulic sensor. While doing this I discovered where the wire had broke. About an inch before the pin on the wire insulation I noticed a kink and when I bent that section of the insulation I can tell there was a break. I pulled back the insulation and BAM! The wire was missing which cause an open curcuit.

After the new wire install, DTC immediately went away and the transmission stopped shifting hard and is out of limp mode. I hope this will help some of those with this same issue.

***important note***
Make sure to check all voltages and continuities in ground, power reference, and signal. Below is the information that helped me track this down. It’s very accurate.

https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0933/

This is where you can find the pin outs/location/descriptions of the wires and plugs on the ECM. I used it for my 2011 ram 1500 and it was accurate!

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...e-have-pcm-wiring-pin-out-diagram-04-ram.html