2011 RAM 4x4 won’t engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen leblanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 won’t engage. Light on the dash flashes continuously.
I’ve changed the transfer case motor and the front differential lock actuator. Still doing the same thing. The front driveshaft locks when I put it in 4x4 but won’t engage the axel (reason I changed the lock actuator). Any ideas? 4x4 high just blinks
4x4 low blinks but high goes solid, still no 4x4. “ESC system off” and “service 4x4” are on the dash. Any help or advice would be great thanks. “ESC system off” light only comes on when I turn the knob to 4 low which I think is normal anyway.

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor is gone. You have a code reader? If a speed sensor is gone esc/abs lights come on and 4x4 won't work no matter what you do to the 4x4 system. I'd start there for sure.

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor is gone. You have a code reader? If a speed sensor is gone esc/abs lights come on and 4x4 won't work no matter what you do to the 4x4 system. I'd start there for sure.
What’s a good code reader to purchase?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
What’s a good code reader to purchase?
Honestly if you use Android products I highly reccomend alfaobd. You can read codes, change factory settings and get into things like airbags and ais suspension codes which most cheap scan tools won't do. I've set my truck up with Alfa to keep fog lights on with high beams and to have led headlights with no canbus and no codes. Its handy to say the least.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Honestly if you use Android products I highly reccomend alfaobd. You can read codes, change factory settings and get into things like airbags and ais suspension codes which most cheap scan tools won't do. I've set my truck up with Alfa to keep fog lights on with high beams and to have led headlights with no canbus and no codes. Its handy to say the least.
What’s available for apple product users ?

westcoasting

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ahh ok now I get it, so that is just a download kind of program.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ahh ok now I get it, so that is just a download kind of program.
Yeah you just buy the dongke I use bb-fly off of amazon it's cheap but works well. Then download and pay for alfaobd and off you go.

OP
OP
S

Stephen leblanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no luck. Have a few things I am going to go out and check today. Just changed the front wheel bearings a few weeks ago so I know it’s not the front sensors. Plus no ABS light on. Checked the back speed sensor last night and everything checks out. Does anyone know if the 4gens 4x4 is vacuum assisted? I know the 3rd or 2nd are. I really really don’t want to chase wires around I’m kinda putting that off lol.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no luck. Have a few things I am going to go out and check today. Just changed the front wheel bearings a few weeks ago so I know it’s not the front sensors. Plus no ABS light on. Checked the back speed sensor last night and everything checks out. Does anyone know if the 4gens 4x4 is vacuum assisted? I know the 3rd or 2nd are. I really really don’t want to chase wires around I’m kinda putting that off lol.
No vacuum assist all electronic on my 2011 every once ina while serv 4x4 comes on could be for a day or for a week and then just goes away for months. I have chased it never figured it out. My opinion is something gets moisture in it and then drys out? or possibly softare issue maybe? its kind of a common issue for 4th gens. I would disconnect battery for a few hours then re hook sometimes that works.