2011 ram 5.7 electric fan issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 ram 5.7 and have noticed past few days even tho the A/c is off the eletric fan stays on all the time? truck is not running hot also have a clutch fan. is this normal? i thought i use to only hear the fan kick in when it needed it not all the time?

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
also if it has anything to do with it i think my blower resistor for the cabin is bad blower motor doesn't work on second speed.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely an electrical problem somewhere. If the A/C is off and coolant temps are below ~205 the electric fan shouldn't be running.

Are you running the defrost setting by chance? The compressor and fan will run when defrost is selected, whether the A/C is activated or not.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Likely an electrical problem somewhere. If the A/C is off and coolant temps are below ~205 the electric fan shouldn't be running.

Are you running the defrost setting by chance? The compressor and fan will run when defrost is selected, whether the A/C is activated or not.

not on defrost i even checked to make sure the compressor isn't on no codes ether i scanned it i plugged in a spare coolant sensor i had to it still turned on what else controls this?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not on defrost i even checked to make sure the compressor isn't on no codes ether i scanned it i plugged in a spare coolant sensor i had to it still turned on what else controls this?

Hate to bring up the elephant in the room, but TIPM probably.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate to bring up the elephant in the room, but TIPM probably.

hope not i just put that ******* thing back together 2 weeks ago:confused::rolleyes: does the fan have a relay on board? only other thing i thought possibly is after i change my resistor for my fan relay and if the blower still doesn't work on the 1 speed is it possibly my control switch is telling the cooling fan to turn on thinking the ac is on?

Also i have a brand new fan clutch if all else fails what if i disable the Efan would it hurt anything since i still have fan clutch?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hope not i just put that ******* thing back together 2 weeks ago:confused::rolleyes: does the fan have a relay on board? only other thing i thought possibly is after i change my resistor for my fan relay and if the blower still doesn't work on the 1 speed is it possibly my control switch is telling the cooling fan to turn on thinking the ac is on?

Also i have a brand new fan clutch if all else fails what if i disable the Efan would it hurt anything since i still have fan clutch?

Sorry about the TIPM suggestion, i read your issue in a rush. The not very awsome wiring diagram i'm looking at, the efan on the radiator is totally powered by the TIPM. So either you are right and the controls are telling it to come on, very likely since your no 1 speed doesn't work too. The blower motor is powered directly from the TIPM. So if you have 12 volts to the blower motor in the dash ( hard to get to i know) then its operated by the AC control unit through the ground. It must have the power it needs because it works on other speeds. It looks to me like you may need a control unit. Indeed there is a relay for the efan on radiator, i do not know the location of it though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
end result it fixed it self i have no idea lmaoo just started working normal again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo