2011 SLT Head Unit Replacement/Back Up Camera Unlock Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to upgrade my head unit. I'm trying to determine whether the Alfaodb camera unlock will work for my vehicle, a 2011 SLT. I'm going from this factory radio that doesn't display any video, no back up camera installed, and I didn't see any wiring for the back up camera in the tailgate. Will the unlock Alfaodb work if I put the right head-unit it and supply video to it or will I need to hard wire a reverse signal? Based on my research, 2013 + trucks will work but I'm unsure on a 2011. I'd hate to spend the money an the Alfaodb software + hardware if it's not going to work in my application.
263104674_10160037596674343_8858294420086083539_n.jpg
This OEM lookalike replacement is what I'm planning to install as I'd like to have a rear view camera and apple car play. It does a lot more and should be plug and play but I couldn't find the info on rear view camera new installation/alfaobd requirements. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X1J7FRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.15.34 AM.png
The input for the camera will come from #17.
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 11.20.54 AM.png

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice,

Paul

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know my 12 did not have the wires either. I just did an aftermarket camera and then added a factory style like yours radio with navi and dvd. Ill take a picture and show you mine. Mine did not have the option for back up camera even tho it was a European style replacement that dodge let them build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.49.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.49.38 AM.png
    993 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
P

Paul Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks great. How does your back up display then and how did you wire it?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to add an aftermarket unit and its on another screen. I am sure you could wire it in. I am trying to remember if it had the option on the back. The only option it didn't have was the plug for sirius xm, but it doesnt matter, I just run that off of my phone. This is a asterium unit. Looks like they went out of business a few years ago, but its a nice unit. I did have to add an antenna to it to get the navi to fire up. I also had to download a US map to a SD card. It was a lot of work, but I got it for 100 bucks.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're using an aftermarket head unit, I would think you'd have to hook the camera up to the reverse lights for power, but you shouldn't need Alfa OBD, that should only be to activate it on the OEM head unit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Paul Thomas

The radio in your Ram is one of a series of radios called MYGIG Radios
They became obsolete after the 2012 Rams

Each of the mygig radios had a 3 letter identification in the lower right corner by the AUX Port

Those letters would begin with an R
RES 130 CD Player SiriusXM Radio - High. ( the base radio )
RES 130S CD Player SiriusXM Radio - High. ( had bluetooth phone )
RBZ 430 non nav - High
RAQ 430 non nav - high
RHB 430n Radio High Navigation - high
RER 730N was a Navigation radio - high
RHR 730N was a newer upgrade to the RER - high

The 430s & 730s may have been back up camera ready
The Nav radios would play movies
HIGH meant - high speed canbus, only Rams & Grand Cherokee were High Speed

all the rest of the Jeeps & all of the cars were LOW Speed

i think i strained my brain trying to recall all the above

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paul Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all. Very helpful information. I'll update this post next week when I'm installing it so hopefully it can help others down the line.

OP
OP
P

Paul Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The head unit came in tonight; it's all plug and play and super easy to install. Even I could do it!

It automatically knows when reverse is selected and will display the backup camera; it taps into the can bus automatically and knows and displays things such as which doors are open better than the evic does. All you have to do is plug the camera in the right RCA input.

I still have to instal the camera; the one I ordered did not work but I was able to test it with the one that is provided in the kit. Of course the only thing I had already installed in preparation for the head unit arriving was the defective camera!

I'm going to play with it over the next couple of weeks and see how I like it. Start up seems a little slow and I'm not sure if that's actually going to be an issue that I care about.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963