Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the crank still look perfect?
In the bearings that I checked, yes, but I didn't get out the micrometer. I going to strip it down, take it to the machine shop for the hot tank treatment and new cam bearings. Was planning to cam it up a bit but I already have a new stock cam sitting in the shop. Plan on an MDS delete for this engine.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the bearings that I checked, yes, but I didn't get out the micrometer. I going to strip it down, take it to the machine shop for the hot tank treatment and new cam bearings. Was planning to cam it up a bit but I already have a new stock cam sitting in the shop. Plan on an MDS delete for this engine.
If you can't catch any ridges with your finger nail, then I doubt any metal hurt the crank - but as far as whether it was perfect from the factory, your machinist will tell you that :)
Sounds like a good plan honestly, good idea to make sure all of the oil galleys in the block are clean and not hiding any metal debris.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The only stock cams that have mds delete cam lobes are the manual transmission Challengers.All other stock cams are ground with both mds and non-mds lobes,they are differant profiles between the lobes.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only stock cams that have mds delete cam lobes are the manual transmission Challengers.All other stock cams are ground with both mds and non-mds lobes,they are differant profiles between the lobes.
So it is ok then to use an MDS cam in an MDS delete engine?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So it is ok then to use an MDS cam in an MDS delete engine?
It's not reconmended,as the lobe profiles are differant between the mds and non-mds lobes,but if you want to try it,it's your call. If you don't want to tune it,stick an original cam or one of the non-tune aftermarket cams back in it,with OEM lifters,run a good oil strategy and call it good.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not reconmended,as the lobe profiles are differant between the mds and non-mds lobes,but if you want to try it,it's your call. If you don't want to tune it,stick an original cam or one of the non-tune aftermarket cams back in it,with OEM lifters,run a good oil strategy and call it good.
Thank you for the info. I want to keep the VVT but the MDS I think I can do without. Seems like it is only a matter of time before the lifters start acting up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you for the info. I want to keep the VVT but the MDS I think I can do without. Seems like it is only a matter of time before the lifters start acting up.
If it's a stock daily driver,i'd throw factory parts back in ,stay on top of the oil changes and call it good.Especially if the trucks a 2012 with a fair number of clics on it,odds are a new factory cam and OEM lifters will out live the truck.MDS is not the downfall,it's poor maintence and idling that kills the cams.If it was MDS causing the issues, the manual transmission Challengers wouldn't be having any issues,and trust me,they eat cams just as fast as the MDS engines do.
Upping the idle rpm to 700/725 is one of the best things you can do to a Hemi,but that requires tuning it,good news is your 2012 is fairly cheap to tune,a Diablo tuner will allow you to up the idle rpm,open up the speed limiter,and should allow you to disable the MDS if you want it disabled

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Knock on wood my now semi retired 12 ram with 160k has never had one issue. I was talking to the parts guy when I went in to get a rear wiper blade for my wifes jeep. He said the 09-12s pre Fiat days were the ones they had the least amount of issues with. He 13+ they started getting a bad name.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's a stock daily driver,i'd throw factory parts back in ,stay on top of the oil changes and call it good.Especially if the trucks a 2012 with a fair number of clics on it,odds are a new factory cam and OEM lifters will out live the truck.MDS is not the downfall,it's poor maintence and idling that kills the cams.If it was MDS causing the issues, the manual transmission Challengers wouldn't be having any issues,and trust me,they eat cams just as fast as the MDS engines do.
Upping the idle rpm to 700/725 is one of the best things you can do to a Hemi,but that requires tuning it,good news is your 2012 is fairly cheap to tune,a Diablo tuner will allow you to up the idle rpm,open up the speed limiter,and should allow you to disable the MDS if you want it disabled
Interestingly enough, I don't idle the truck and do the oil and filter change in the 6000 Km range. I've never been a believer of the long distance oil change. I cut every filter and inspect, never seen metal yet. Changed out my drain plug to a magnetic type last oil change.
I'm working on an engine to replace the existing one. The rest of the truck is in good condition so I think doing a replacement next spring might be the next step. I have already collected most parts.