2012 piston slap/ low knock noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting for sure, you see elevated copper and iron, but every redline uoa first run is that. Then, they usually go down exponitially, been said many times here, it may just be leaching ions that levels out with long term use, nearly every redline uoa's show the same thing.

However, more interesting is that it seams like redline may be protecting against your piston slap as you see the aluminum come down considerably. Whatever you chose to do I'd be doing another uoa and watch aluminum specifically. If you move to pyb and it goes back up, you may want to go back to redline. Subsiquently, if you stayed with redline and the copper and iron didn't come down, you might want to find a different oil on the front as well. Many choices here, but that uoa kind of dictates you need to do another one. You can leave tbn off, just know if you are going to run pyb the first time maybe do a 5k mile interval. The engine is working well, not hard of oil at all.

If it were me, I'd do another redline run and go a little futher and do a uoa, but either strategy makes sound sense, a pyb run would be helpful as well.

Thanks for your input , u obviously are much more versed in the oil/engine department than me lol so I appreciate it greatly , I have redline in it now prob about 3-4K on it . I’ll wait til prob 8 k then do an analysis and hopefully get ur opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres one I made a couple years ago. Happens every cold start but its a lot louder when its cold out. So far at 59k no ill effects from it.

2013 1500 5.7 CCSB 65RFE 3.55s

For some reason no audio plays when I click on it.

Lilkenny99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 1500
Engine
Same thing happened on my 08 5.7 hasn’t caused any problems after 30k. Try some oil additives like Lucas heavy duty or pure synthetic. Made the tick go away but my truck also eats oil so not for long.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you on a phone or PC? On my phone it opens up the youtube app and plays normal...

Got it to work . Mines a little quieter but def the same noise. We will see if pyb maybe makes a diff after a redline analysis on my current fill

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got it to work . Mines a little quieter but def the same noise. We will see if pyb maybe makes a diff after a redline analysis on my current fill

Cool, definitely interested to see if PYB makes a difference. None of the oils I've tried have made any difference in the piston slap sound...

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, definitely interested to see if PYB makes a difference. None of the oils I've tried have made any difference in the piston slap sound...

Yea unfortunafelt I think we are stuck with it. Lol thank god mines gonna be paid off in a month with 30k on it. Lol I’ll just save for a engine work ( cam, pistons, lifters ) lol

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Piston slap in the Hemi's and LS motors sounds worse than it actually is. Many of these motors have gone 200k+ with no issues except some noise when you first start it up.

I have several UOAs that have low aluminum content and low wear metals showing that the piston slap in my Hemi isn't doing any damage. Just sounds awful when it's cold...
I agree i have seen many ls1 from corvettes with 150k+ and the cylinder bores still look perfect.

CHARLES BARTZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2004
Engine
3.6, 4.7
I had the same issue with my 4.7 Dakota, I think it was a 2002. Every time I took it to the dealership, they couldn't find it. I finally talked them in to keep it overnight and start in once the shop manager came in. It ended being some kind of piston coating. I suggest pulling one of your heads, if it is under warranty have your shop do it. They ended up replacing my engine at no cost to me, it was under warranty.

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
MY 2011 makes the same noise when cold. Goes away when truck warms up. Have 100,000 miles on truck and made noise from about 25,000 miles. I figure it's piston slap as the Hemi's have a short piston skirt and a coating on pistons like the GM Ls motors. Coating wears on pistons and you get a little more clearance when cold. Shorter piston skirt lets piston rock a little when cold, when warms up it expands and noise goes away. I have tried all kinds of oils and now use PUP 5/20 and 5/30 mix and half bottle of biolube liquid moly and wix xp filter and change every 4,000 miles. Oil is cheep and this way I get piece of mind.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 2500 had that irritating sound mostly heard under acceleration. It is piston slap and it's not hurting anything. I first heard it at 60k miles and now im sitting at 230k miles.
I am actually building up a new motor for it when this one dies on me. I'm curious if i will get the same noise, although this motor will be modified a bit.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You won't regret it. I've tried many oils including Redline 5w30, and although it was definitely one of the good ones, nothing quiets the slap like conventional PYB for me. I assume other quality conventional like Mobile 1 super 5000 would be similar, but since PYB was dealer fill for a long time I feel good about it.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't regret it. I've tried many oils including Redline 5w30, and although it was definitely one of the good ones, nothing quiets the slap like conventional PYB for me. I assume other quality conventional like Mobile 1 super 5000 would be similar, but since PYB was dealer fill for a long time I feel good about it.

Would you use pyb 5w30 or 5w20?

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would you use pyb 5w30 or 5w20?

I use 5w-30 and change it every 3k or when I get bored. Every time I've drained PYB and tried something else it's been a mistake. With winter coming it's tempting to go back to "synthetic" but I will not be tricked by marketing propaganda.

Jeremy Eggers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the PYB info ChevySlayer, Im a new member here and all the info you provided has helped. I tried almost everything people were saying works for knocking on the Hemi. Redline, Rislone, Marvel mystery, Lucas, and fixed my broken header bolts, but still had a hollow sounding knock. I just switched to PYB yesterday and it made a world of difference! I still have a bit of a tick, but that doesn't bother like the knock did.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the PYB info ChevySlayer, Im a new member here and all the info you provided has helped. I tried almost everything people were saying works for knocking on the Hemi. Redline, Rislone, Marvel mystery, Lucas, and fixed my broken header bolts, but still had a hollow sounding knock. I just switched to PYB yesterday and it made a world of difference! I still have a bit of a tick, but that doesn't bother like the knock did.

Glad to hear it. Finding the right oil is definitely better than using additives.