2012 Ram 1500 Hemi Oil In Coolant I Am At A Loss.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that you have it out... pull the spark plugs and pressurize the cooling system (air compressor to the pump and block off Tstat with coolant in the engine). Crank up the pressure 20lbs and then hand rotate the engine over a few cycles after giving it 30s after applying pressure. I wonder if you will get coolant pushed out of the spark plug hole on the offending cylinder. Then you can pull the head and inspect to help narrow it down. If you have those cheap 5mm snake cameras off amazon you can put that in and look in the cylinders with the heads on after pressurizing.

To hook up to the water pump get some rubber couplers/reducers from home depot and a steel or brass reducer to 1/4" NPT, then screw in a air compressor quick disconnect. Hook up a compressor and adjust the regulator to your comfortable pressure. You will need coolant in the motor (full) for this to work though. Might work :shrug:

Yea i for sure plan to find the issue with the old motor once i get the new one in will post results have seen some other people with this issue who never solve it.

keemoshani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar issue with my 2012 when i bought it, i sent the heads out to two different machine shops who pressure tested them and said they were good, i also sent out the block to get checked and rebuilt but each time i got oil in the coolant. After redoing it 3 times I finally got a used motor and threw it in there which fixed the issue, i tossed the old block thinking it was shot and i had no time to tear into it and check it out but i kept the heads. Few years later i sold the heads and the guy installed them on his truck and complained about oil in coolant, had to give him back his money but I finally found out it was the heads and not the block

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i hope that the head gaskets were the correct application & each gasket was on the correct side
surely the heads were on the correct side & application

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i hope that the head gaskets were the correct application & each gasket was on the correct side
surely the heads were on the correct side & application
Yes they where I had that problem on the first hemi i worked on had the head gaskets backwards ahah.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar issue with my 2012 when i bought it, i sent the heads out to two different machine shops who pressure tested them and said they were good, i also sent out the block to get checked and rebuilt but each time i got oil in the coolant. After redoing it 3 times I finally got a used motor and threw it in there which fixed the issue, i tossed the old block thinking it was shot and i had no time to tear into it and check it out but i kept the heads. Few years later i sold the heads and the guy installed them on his truck and complained about oil in coolant, had to give him back his money but I finally found out it was the heads and not the block
Interesting!

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have an oil cooler? If so, bypass it, then put 15 PSI on the cooler with a regulated air supply. Fill the radiator completely, leave the cap off, and wait 15 minutes. If you are getting bubbles, you have a leak.

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crack in the cylinder would put combustion gasses into the water jacket (they make test strips for this) and you would overheat relatively quickly, but it would not move much oil.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crack in the cylinder would put combustion gasses into the water jacket (they make test strips for this) and you would overheat relatively quickly, but it would not move much oil.
This truck didnt have a oil cooler it was indeed a cracked cylinder previous owner cooked it one to many times i guess swapped motor shes running great.