2012 RAM 1500 running really rough after sand dune drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hi,
I am new here and I own a RAM 1500 2012.

I recently got it serviced and the truck was running really smooth after the oil and filter changes.

I drove the truck in the sand dunes here in Qatar. If you have any experience driving in the dunes the ride is pretty rough at times specially while going up the sand hills.

When I returned I noticed that the ride was pretty rough, as if the truck is really struggling while accelerating specially in the lower gears.

Now I know for sure that there a loud ticking noise on cold start which might be an exhaust leak or a lifter issue I’m not really sure. But it does become low when the engine heats up.

I wanted to know if anyone else has this issue and what could be the problem ? I’m really concerned if this is a major engine issue.

Video of the ticking noise attached below: (https://youtube.com/shorts/ZaxjnChIdOM?feature=share)

Please help.

Regards,

Waqas

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does it sound with the hood open? Can you smell exhaust under the hood? If so, it's probably just a loose exhaust manifold.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It’s not that loud from the hood side. But there you can hear the belt and the fan so maybe that’s blocking the tick. But for sure it’s not from the top of the engine.

I did smell a little while I was driving one time. But the smell wasn’t that bad.

I’m guessing that is an exhaust leak as well. Wanted to be sure.

But I don’t understand the rough ride. Can that be related to the manifold leak as well?

Thanks a lot.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hi,
I am new here and I own a RAM 1500 2012.

I recently got it serviced and the truck was running really smooth after the oil and filter changes.

I drove the truck in the sand dunes here in Qatar. If you have any experience driving in the dunes the ride is pretty rough at times specially while going up the sand hills.

When I returned I noticed that the ride was pretty rough, as if the truck is really struggling while accelerating specially in the lower gears.

Now I know for sure that there a loud ticking noise on cold start which might be an exhaust leak or a lifter issue I’m not really sure. But it does become low when the engine heats up.

I wanted to know if anyone else has this issue and what could be the problem ? I’m really concerned if this is a major engine issue.

Video of the ticking noise attached below: (https://youtube.com/shorts/ZaxjnChIdOM?feature=share)

Please help.

Regards,

Waqas
I think we have another member from qatar as well, not 100% sure but I believe he is. He had hemi tick as well, killed it with redline 5w30 that he could get over there. Search the forum hemi tick cures, there is some info for you.

As for running rough, did you take apart air filter yet? Did you run codes? So there is two different things yes? tick and running rough. does it shake at idle, especially warm idel?

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Oh thank you, I did read about redline in another post here (I’ll definitely read more on it for sure)

Yeah got a new air filter as well 2 months back.

I started feeling the roughness after the sand dunes for sure, it was driving so smooth before that.

Also, I forgot to mention that the fuel economy is really bad now as well. Like I have to refuel in a weeks time. Earlier the tank took me for 3 weeks. Yes Qatar is a small place.

I was thinking of getting the exhaust leak checked and if the issue persists then I’ll go for the lifter tick.

Thank you so much for your help man, I really appreciate it.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have spent a fair bit of time at Glamis dunes, so I am familiar with duning. Though your air filter was recently changed, I would recommend at least an inspection of the airbox and filter. Sometimes the front overhang can scoop up a large quantity of sand at the bottom of a dune, and this could easily find its way to the airbox. Also, are you running a stock type paper air filter?

You need a Funco sand car for the dunes ;-)

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hey tj,

Well that does make sense because we did drive for like 2 to 3 hours aggressively in the sand. My friend’s Lexus bumper came off at one point when we were coming down one of the steeper dune.

Yes, my air filter is stock which came with the truck. I will get that checked as well for sure.

So, this doesn’t sound like a major issue does it? Reading a couple of replies here has calmed me down so much.

Thanks a lot.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Agreed with the posts above, the air filter was new before you drove thru the sand, first thing I would check. Do you get a check engine light?

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Yeah I’m thinking that makes sense.

No, I don’t get a check engine light. And no codes either.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Sorry Burla I missed a couple of your questions.

Yes 2 things, I figured they were both related maybe. It doesn’t shake on idle, and there are no codes.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I listened to the audio several times and it sounds like one or 2 roller lifters are chewing on the cam, I know no misfire, Pull the valve covers and check for rocker arm movement, Is that audio from a cold start or warm start, Pop the hood and give us a cold start audio, also check your air box for sand that could have gotten sucked into the throttle body.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Thank you,
It’s a cold start in the morning.
I’ll make another video with the hood open in the morning.

Also I’ll take a look at the air box as well. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, Covid cases spiking up again in Qatar. It's really bad here.

I went for a drive and surprisingly it drove so smooth, I didn't do anything with the truck. Although the fuel economy is still really bad. But the Rough drive, it's gone I don't know-how.

I'm attaching the new videos recorded yesterday,

1. Cold start in the morning (opened the Hood)

2. Another Video again Cold Start

3. After driving for like 15 mins (Engine heated)

Hope these videos give a better perspective.

Thanks

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds allot better, I hear some light ticking, could you give it some throttle W/ hood opened have someone do the throttle while you're around the truck recording it, did you pull the filter box apart to make sure there is no sand in it, check underneath the filter.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hi,

Sure I'll try that. I'll put the camera on a stand or something to record.

No, I didn't open the Air filter box, went to do it but got scared lolz. I know it's not that big of a deal but I got a really bad electric shock when I was young and well I developed a phobia. anything electrical scares me. But I'll try to do it tomorrow as well.

The truck is driving really well though, I don't know if it's the engine or the exhaust.

Thanks a lot.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Hi,

Sure I'll try that. I'll put the camera on a stand or something to record.

No, I didn't open the Air filter box, went to do it but got scared lolz. I know it's not that big of a deal but I got a really bad electric shock when I was young and well I developed a phobia. anything electrical scares me. But I'll try to do it tomorrow as well.

The truck is driving really well though, I don't know if it's the engine or the exhaust.

Thanks a lot.

There's nothing electrical in the airbox, it's just a plastic box with a filter inside.

OP
OP
waqasrishi

waqasrishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
I saw a YouTube video, seems really easy. I’ll try that. Thanks

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know did some aggressive mudding in my 2012. Checked the air box afterwards and the filter was caked with mud, thankfully only below the filter itself. Didn't help that the passenger's side tire was the one stuck in the rut, spraying mud all over the inner fender area. I know sand is a whole nother beast in itself!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When a Honda motorcycle acts like your truck, it’s the fuel pressure regulator at fault. But I’ve never heard of that in these trucks.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The very first thing that I would have done after hours of fun in the sun on sand dunes in a hot/dry climate is open the the filter air box and inspect it for sand and most definitely carry a clean spare air filter next time.

Engines get hotter running on terrain made up of sand because the lack of positive traction due to the this type of driving/fun.

Hopefully no sand enterred into your engine.