2012 RAM 3500 Won't Crank With Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I've searched around but have not found anything that seems to fit my issue.

I put the key fob in the dash and turn it to ignition. The lights all come on and everything looks normal. I turn the key to start and it will not crank. The dash lights go out while I'm in the crank/start key position.

I played with it a few times and still nothing. I tried the other key/fob and the same thing with it.

While inside the truck I can hit the Lock button on the key fob and then the Remote Start twice and the truck starts right up. If I do not unlock the doors with the fob before I put it into the dash, it will shut off as soon as the key is inserted. If I restart the truck with the Remote Start and unlock the doors before inserting the key, the truck will stay running with the key in the dash just as it always has.

Once in a while it will start with the key, but not too often. This just started yesterday.

I know I have plenty of battery, dual batteries, and it runs great and it will start remotely, but no go with the key.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'd take a guess it's the module in the dash that acting up. The keyfobs do not need a battery in them to direct start the vehicle. The keyfobs use a RFID chip and the module in the dash "reads" that chip.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've searched around but have not found anything that seems to fit my issue.

I put the key fob in the dash and turn it to ignition. The lights all come on and everything looks normal. I turn the key to start and it will not crank. The dash lights go out while I'm in the crank/start key position.

I played with it a few times and still nothing. I tried the other key/fob and the same thing with it.

While inside the truck I can hit the Lock button on the key fob and then the Remote Start twice and the truck starts right up. If I do not unlock the doors with the fob before I put it into the dash, it will shut off as soon as the key is inserted. If I restart the truck with the Remote Start and unlock the doors before inserting the key, the truck will stay running with the key in the dash just as it always has.

Once in a while it will start with the key, but not too often. This just started yesterday.

I know I have plenty of battery, dual batteries, and it runs great and it will start remotely, but no go with the key.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Without knowing anything else about the truck or seeing it my bet would be in the WIN, or the Wireless Ignition Node, causing the no-start issue. If you can get a good scan tool connected to this truck and monitor the WIN's run-start feed you may see that the WIN is not sending the start signal to the other modules.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Sounds like your ignition switch is or has gone bad
Is your ignition on the dashboard or on the column?

If it is on the dash, watch this video(s)

this guy should have used either an eraser on the contacts or sprayed Electr Clean instead off brake fluid

One way to check to see if it is indeed the Module & not some power going to Module issue:
If you press the buttons on the FOB & the horn works, then you have power going to the Module, so that means the issue is with the Ignition Module itself

Good Luck

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thanks guys for the quick replies.

I took out the WIN module and it was filthy, just as everything else is under my dash. The previous owner was a contractor foreman and drove to tons of grainery site and then just sat out in the truck with it running and sucking in all the grinding powder from the grain.

First I'll say that "IF" you put the key fob into the module after you have unplugged it from the wiring, the fob will NOT come back out. So a quick re-plug and the fob came out.

I opened up the module and it did have some "dust" inside and I first blew it out with computer cleaning air spray. Then I used CONTACT CLEANER to clean the wiper areas. I did not take the top part off to have full access to the contacts. There are several small plugin pins going from the top white contact plate down into the module. Not knowing if they are permanent or jus slide in, I left well enough alone.

After a good blowing out and spray cleaning of the contact areas, it works like a dream again.

Thanks for the help..... AGAIN!

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Deleted

Last edited: