2012 Ram 4WD Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got stuck other day in some ice/snow so tried to put in 4wd. Light flashed for a while then actually went in 4wd. However "SERCV4WD" light came on. Tried to put back in 2wd to no aval. In fact light would not even flash. Tried to put in reverse while trying to change selector to no aval. No matter what selector it is on it stays on 4wd.

Disconnected battery cable for 2 hours. Same thing. Turn on and 4wd mode stays on no matter what and the SERV4WD light stays on. Checked and even just for the F of it changed the M15 T-Case fuse. Still same. Changed the T-Case motor and same deal. Light no matter what stays lit on the 4wd. I can tell it is stuck in 4wd the drive shaft does not move freely like it would if in 2wd mode.

Am assuming something in T-case either hosed up or possibly just locked and can be unlocked? Was quoted 2k for T-Case swap. Would be less if can be fixed internally. Waiting to take it to the shop Monday.

Is there something else I can check/do on my own without surgery?

many thanks

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is how I fixed mine.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is how I fixed mine.

Thanks. I guess that confirms the worse for me. I did swap the motor but same thing. stuck in 4wd after installing the new motor. Very easy to do like you said. What you said how you turn the chuck clockwise to get back to 2wd is VERY helpful. I was actually wondering what way would put it back to 2wd. I am going to take the motor off again and try and get the t-case chuck turned. Problem is then getting the motor key to line up once the t-case chuck is then turned? Noticed the motor hole seems to want the chuck in the 4wd position and could not for the life of me turn that motor hole to match up.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might need to open her up and have a look . There is a good amount of resistance but its not that bad when you try to do it by hand.

Im actually on the hunt for a spare after T-Case as well myself to have as backup. As mine is now starting to never want to go in 4-Low .

My oil is perfect and zero sign of metal witch makes me wonder if its the Dorman motor already ******** the bed.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a good amount of resistance but its not that bad when you try to do it by hand.
What did you use when turning it in the motor? I tried a flat tip screwdriver but could not get it to move at all. Talking about the motor hole where it lines up with the t-case chuck.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DILLIGAF talking about the part I circled in blue. When I try to turn that I was not able to make it budge at all. Trying to turn it to line up with the T-Case chuck position. Using your picture. I have that exact motor.

Attachments

• PXL_20220725_1800344022.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220725_1800344022.MP.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really makes me wonder if it is the actual transfer case that is causing the motors to possibly burn up and go bad. Say it is really difficult to turn that t-case chuck making it really diffucult for the motor to work. Was pretty difficult turning the t-case chuck using a wrench. Assume it should not be that difficult.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok an update. It ended up being a bad Ignition 4wd Actuator. I took it in because I wanted them to check everything with the 4wd. They quickly found it was the Actuator. Left the new Transfer case motor I installed just because. So all is good the service light is off and goes in/out of 4wd like it should. So for any of you that it gets stuck in 4wd or will not go in 4wd this is something to check.

1671568368266.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They shouldda stuck with the almost-never-fail lever!! :happy107:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I use mine a **** ton, and its never failed. Its the exact same one on the Gen 3 diff.

I cant believe Im gonna say this but they're actually well designed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You would need the old style hubs that you had to get out and manually lock in ,to replace this piece,as this is the front axle actuator

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got stuck other day in some ice/snow so tried to put in 4wd. Light flashed for a while then actually went in 4wd. However "SERCV4WD" light came on. Tried to put back in 2wd to no aval. In fact light would not even flash. Tried to put in reverse while trying to change selector to no aval. No matter what selector it is on it stays on 4wd.

Disconnected battery cable for 2 hours. Same thing. Turn on and 4wd mode stays on no matter what and the SERV4WD light stays on. Checked and even just for the F of it changed the M15 T-Case fuse. Still same. Changed the T-Case motor and same deal. Light no matter what stays lit on the 4wd. I can tell it is stuck in 4wd the drive shaft does not move freely like it would if in 2wd mode.

Am assuming something in T-case either hosed up or possibly just locked and can be unlocked? Was quoted 2k for T-Case swap. Would be less if can be fixed internally. Waiting to take it to the shop Monday.

Is there something else I can check/do on my own without surgery?

many thanks
Is it automatic lockout lock in. I think I would check the actuator if it is electric. it sits on the right side of the axle on the rear pulls out with 4 bolts