2012 Ram 5.7 Cam Bearing replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 Ram 5.7 Cam Bearing replacement. I have the motor disassembled with only cam bearings remaining in the block. Would like to replace them. The manual I am using says if the cam bearings are damaged, do not replace the cam bearings for any reason. Replace the block. I don't get this? I have the tools and capability to change them. Would like some input from the forum.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2012 Ram 5.7 Cam Bearing replacement. I have the motor disassembled with only cam bearings remaining in the block. Would like to replace them. The manual I am using says if the cam bearings are damaged, do not replace the cam bearings for any reason. Replace the block. I don't get this? I have the tools and capability to change them. Would like some input from the forum.
I've heard the same thing,you replace the block not the cam bearings,but i'm not sure why either. I'd get ahold of a couple of the better Hemi engine builders,and ask them about replacing the cam bearings,as there has to be a way to do it,the blocks aren't cast with the bearings in place,so Ma Mopar has to be installing them,and if they can install them,i'd think they should be replacable.

OP
OP
R

reece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those were my thoughts also. I watched one video and the guy commented that dodge says the cam bearings are not replaceable, his comment was why can they be purchased? His video was showing him replacing the cam bearings in a 5.7. Thanks for the reply

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All cam bearings are replaceable, yes you need a good reputable engine rebuild shop to do it, if you had the engine hot tanked those bearings would need to be replaced.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Machine shop is replacing mine on my build

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Same. It takes a special tool/slide hammer thing to pull them but also had mine replaced at rebuild by a great machine/speed shop

OP
OP
R

reece

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I have the tool/tools to replace the cam bearings. It's been awhile since I changed any bearings. Never on the 5.7. Just needed some input. I am going to go for it. To Dodge 1500 4x4, I haven't had the block dipped. Just disassembled it day before my post, thanks.

katoman12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reece: How did the bearings replacement go? I am contemplating replacing my cam on my 5.7L. How to tell if bearings are bad? A loose feeling cam? New cam and install then can tell if bearings are shot?
Thanks!!!
Kato

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How to tell if bearings are bad?

You get a machine shop to check them or you buy dial bore tools.

But unless you had a lifter failure or your engine is high mileage, They dont go bad.

katoman12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine has 265K miles and lifter failure / metal around VVT solenoid / in the oil, P0300 0304 0305 0306 codes. Not sure what best to do, any recos?:
1-new dealer engine $14K
2-pull heads n cam myself. Install new cam myself/shop restore heads
3-have shop install cam & restore heads
Truck worth $6-8K...just put on new tires n complete front suspension/CV axles/wheel bearings.
Thanks!!!!
Kato

ORSPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No offense, but if it still runs, trrade it in and get a new one. The expense to make it OK, is a waste of money with the value of the truck. IMHO