2012 Ram common problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raduque

Reaction score
Ram Year
na
Engine
na
Well, after tragically losing my 13 F150 FX2, I find myself in the market for a new truck. While I loved my F150 , it had a lot of little problems especially a creaky interior at only 86k miles and the Sync BT system was junk. Plus, it would eat the driver's side brake pads, rotor and tires like clockwork. Couldn't fix it at all. Two dealerships in two states couldn't figure it out.

So I've been thinking about new trucks and on a whim while bored at work got approved for financing through Chrysler Capitol. Thinking I might try something different, I went looking and found a 2012 Ram 1500 SLT and a 2012 1500 Big Horn - both are at the same dealer. I have an appointment to look at the trucks and test drive later today.

The SLT has the 4.7 V8 and the Big Horn has the Hemi. Both are 4wd, 4 doors with non-bluetooth Uconnect and the BH has an "auto 4wd" setting on the knob. SLT has 165k miles and the BH 141k.

What sort of common issues and problems should I look for during the test drive with these trucks? Common to Rams of this generation, I mean.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The early 4.7 engines, though a fine engine, required meticulous maintenance. If it wasn't they were known to sludge up and die an early death. Not sure about the recent generation. To be safe I would lean towards the hemi. Listen for the hemi tick and have the manifold bolts checked. Just my 2 cents.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hunter called the major powerplant ones...interior-wise, beware of damp headliners as that's very likely to be a bad seal on the CHMSL (aka third brake light).

Others will, no doubt, chime in; I'd take the Hemi, too, for several reasons. One of 'em that's rarely mentioned is resale!

TXCOMT

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Drive it in all of the 4wd settings and listed for clunks while driving & turning hard in both directions. I would suspect that ANY vehicle with those miles could have bad driveshft & axle shaft joints. Also look under at the cv joint boots for cracks or tears.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put just over 200k on my 2012 Sport 4x4 and I ran it hard. The only problem was the studs that held exhaust manifolds to heads breaking off which was pretty much standard for all Ram trucks. I was told that Chevrolet and Ford had the same problems. I had the 5.7 hemi in mine and it was a really good engine!!

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6 speeds we're known to have shift solenoid go bad. Mine did at 60k and was stuck in 4th gear

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had no real problems with mine that could be a 2012 only thing.

A recall on steering column wiring, and the shifter had to be replaced when it decided not to go into park completely.

I got way way less miles on mine tho...like less than 27k right now.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Been a few weeks, did you get a truck ?