2013 1500 Push Start will not start or turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMUSPSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 1500 Sport 4wd 5.7 push button start

This past weekend I replaced the front calipers, rotor and pads due to a caliper locking up. I say this not knowing if it could be related.

I have been driving all week with no problem and drove about 30 min today then parked on a slight grade in a parking lot. When I came back and tried to start everything seemed normal but when I pushed the button to start the engine would not turn over. I disconnected the battery left it about 10 min reconnected and still nothing. I tried this a few times hopping for a different outcome. The check engine light is on but I'm not sure if its always on before the engine starts. I also hooked jumper cables up in case it could possibly be the battery but nothing changed.

I went and bought a code reader plugged it in and scanned, there were no codes showing.

One odd thing is that the radio screen goes black when I push the start button, again this might always happen when starting.

Here a short video of what happens.

https://youtu.be/HwPF1p2jB6M

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One thing that you might try to see if the Ignition switch has power going to it.
Press the Panic Button & if the alarm sounds, you have power to the ignition switch

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You mentioned that you parked on a "slight hill". Don't know if you used your parking brake or not, so is it possible that that shifter didn't make it all the way into park ? Not sure if you have the 6 spd or the 8 spd, but I would try to move the shifter a few times back and forth and secure it back into park.

OP
OP
JMUSPSA

JMUSPSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had it towed home after trying a couple of things. I’ve got 12.47 volts on the battery. I tried to bypass the starter relay and the starter did not make any noise. I pushed the start button with the fob . I took it in and out of gear and tried starting in neutral. The starter is about $130 so I guess I will try to replace that tomorrow unless someone else has a better idea.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have seen batteries that read ok voltage, but when the load is put to them the bottom falls out.

Hope you get it sorted.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Before you start buying parts, first have the battery load tested. Secondly, this is the exact behavior my son’s Grand Cherokee exhibited when his starter cable went bad. Replacing the starter cable (a real PITA on that vehicle) solved the problem. Lastly, it wouldn’t hurt to pop open the fuse boxes and check fuses. But the fact the starter won’t engage when when manually triggered sure seems to me to point at battery or wiring.

Good luck,
DG

OP
OP
JMUSPSA

JMUSPSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the advice guys. It ended up being the starter. The wire coming out of the starter and to the solenoid was corroded almost in half. I replace the starter and it started right up.

142C92D1-17B9-48A2-B6CF-DE62E1891F6F.jpeg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice guys. It ended up being the starter. The wire coming out of the starter and to the solenoid was corroded almost in half. I replace the starter and it started right up.

View attachment 245024
Glad you got it fixed! I guess you do a lot of saltwater fishing or live near the ocean because that looks like saltwater corrosion to me.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got it fixed! I guess you do a lot of saltwater fishing or live near the ocean because that looks like saltwater corrosion to me.

^^^
Yea i would be worried about the underside of the truck you should coat it with something so it doesn't rot out.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same exact thing happened to my starter. Went to the mall, came out 30 mins later truck wouldn't crank. Was fun changing it out in the parking lot in November, lol.
I get my truck undercoated but I guess it didn't make it to the starter as it's in a tough spot so I was sure to pack the new one with dielectric.