2013 2500 5.7 Hemi with Death Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With tires the age is important. After 5 years the tires can start to fail and present exactly the problems you described. None of the parts that were replaced needed to be replaced. With oversized tires the tie rods and shocks are going to wear faster but that does not result in the problems mentioned and it is easy enough to put the truck up on a lift and verify the existing ones need to be replaced.

I hate it when a "mechanic" is so bad at their trade that they start replacing parts one by one and expecting to eventually solve the problem. A lot of money is wasted and a lot of good parts end up in the scrap as a result.

My mother-in-law was ignorant when it came to cars but she was smart enough to ask the mechanic to explain what he thought was wrong and what needed to be done. If he could not do this then she would go to another mechanic. The understood that the mechanic should be more knowledgeable but that it was not rocket science and not beyond her abilities to understand what she was tol IF the mechanic knew what he was doing.

Fortunately cars and trucks are more reliable at this time as the caliber of auto mechanics has fallen so very much over the years. Most are only able to plug in a diagnostic tool and read the code and they think they know what is wrong and replace a part.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
research poly bushings versus rubber bushings, you might opt for a good poly bushing kit all around, keeps everything tight and never wear out.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran across a "Death Wobble" in the early seventies while working for Volkwagen. Super Beetles had just come out with MacPherson Strut suspension. If the steering damper lost even a miniscule amount of oil, hitting a bump would require a full stop to regain control. A $15 part drove VWoA, dealers, and owners bonkers for a couple of years. Everybody seemed to be overthinking the problem.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good lord sorry to hear about the issue and the $$$ you spent trying to solve the issue. I have the same truck 2016 2500 5.7 and am running larger tires (Nitto Terra Grappler G2 295/65r20 on aftermarket wheels with -12mm offset. Also have a 2.5” level kit. I added the steering brace early on and later added a Fox 2.0 IFP stabilizer with 100 psi resistance). In the 118K miles I never had the DW issue. I don’t know if it was the brace or the Fox stabilizer that contributed to this fact. Seems like you replaced everything that could contribute to the issue. Just out of curiosity what steering stabilizer did you install?

OP
OP
E

elsberndvoice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update and final decision. Thank you all so much for your advice, concern, and ideas. This is such a great community, and I sincerely appreciate all the helpful suggestions. If it were my primary vehicle and not what my daughter will be driving and using to haul a horse trailer (starting very soon), I would keep it and keep trying things, but I would not sleep at night knowing that she has it on her own and the RAM could do it again without warning. I can swallow the money spent on shocks and brakes, but with over $5,000 into it and then having the most violent DW yet, we made the decision to trade it in (at quite a loss) and bought a newer truck with an extended bumper to bumper warranty. Without being close to our daughter, we had to do it for peace of mind and safety. Praying it will be a much better truck. Thank you again, all of you!

Unanswered questions for those who may find benefit in knowing:
Eastern, when DW happens, are you towing a trailer or not ?
it’s happened with and without the trailer.

OP
OP
E

elsberndvoice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With tires the age is important. After 5 years the tires can start to fail and present exactly the problems you described. None of the parts that were replaced needed to be replaced. With oversized tires the tie rods and shocks are going to wear faster but that does not result in the problems mentioned and it is easy enough to put the truck up on a lift and verify the existing ones need to be replaced.

I hate it when a "mechanic" is so bad at their trade that they start replacing parts one by one and expecting to eventually solve the problem. A lot of money is wasted and a lot of good parts end up in the scrap as a result.

My mother-in-law was ignorant when it came to cars but she was smart enough to ask the mechanic to explain what he thought was wrong and what needed to be done. If he could not do this then she would go to another mechanic. The understood that the mechanic should be more knowledgeable but that it was not rocket science and not beyond her abilities to understand what she was tol IF the mechanic knew what he was doing.

Fortunately cars and trucks are more reliable at this time as the caliber of auto mechanics has fallen so very much over the years. Most are only able to plug in a diagnostic tool and read the code and they think they know what is wrong and replace a part.
Brand new Michelin’s out on last week, and most violent DW yet.

OP
OP
E

elsberndvoice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good lord sorry to hear about the issue and the $$$ you spent trying to solve the issue. I have the same truck 2016 2500 5.7 and am running larger tires (Nitto Terra Grappler G2 295/65r20 on aftermarket wheels with -12mm offset. Also have a 2.5” level kit. I added the steering brace early on and later added a Fox 2.0 IFP stabilizer with 100 psi resistance). In the 118K miles I never had the DW issue. I don’t know if it was the brace or the Fox stabilizer that contributed to this fact. Seems like you replaced everything that could contribute to the issue. Just out of curiosity what steering stabilizer did you install?
@Richard Kim The mechanic told us he used only Moog parts.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oversize tires are a contributing factor. But you have no lift, and replaced all the major components that would cause the wobble of death. So I would think you would be good with everything. Doubt the tires being balanced correctly would have been an issue in what you experienced.

Might consider a steering box stabilizer. Probably not needed, but wouldn't hurt. Looking into one of those for myself.

You would have to find one to fit your 2500 for 2013 MY.

This and a front end alignment got rid of my death wobble on my 09 2500 that is after you check to make sure everything else is tight.

OP
OP
E

elsberndvoice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This and a front end alignment got rid of my death wobble on my 09 2500 that is after you check to make sure everything else is tight.
I’m glad that worked for you. Had an alignment done along with all of the front end work and had it all checked for tightness. Just had to stop chasing the he ghost and let it go. Thanks, though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m glad that worked for you. Had an alignment done along with all of the front end work and ?had it all checked for tightness. Just had to stop chasing the he ghost and let it go. Thanks, though.
What did you replace the truck with ?