2013 5.7 2x4 238,000miles p0303 on Hard Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jedslack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, hard acceleration will tell the tale. When my cam went, I thought it needed a tune-up and changed the spark plugs and the air sensor in the air intake tube. That didn't fix it so I bought a coil pack and replaced the one on #3 cylinder, to no avail. Under hard acceleration, it would start skipping, the check engine light would come on, and it would do this for about a mile or two, then smooth out. It eventually got to where it would do it just under normal driving. My money would be on the lifter/cam issue.
How long did it take before it started happening under normal driving?

You are describing everything exactly the way I have it. How long ago was it that ramcares helped you get it fixed? Ill take it to the dealership and get the diagnosis if ramcares will help with the repair.

I had a shop nearby quote me $800-$1000 (depending on necessary parts) to rebuild the top end. Im almost thinking I should just pull the trigger instead of paying the dealership $490 to take off the valve cover and check the lifters.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You are describing everything exactly the way I have it. How long ago was it that ramcares helped you get it fixed? Ill take it to the dealership and get the diagnosis if ramcares will help with the repair.

I had a shop nearby quote me $800-$1000 (depending on necessary parts) to rebuild the top end. Im almost thinking I should just pull the trigger instead of paying the dealership $490 to take off the valve cover and check the lifters.
With the amount of miles on your truck dont go to the dealer they will wanna sell u a brand new motor the only time people should go to the dealer is if its a truck under warranty. If i where in your shoes I would just find a used motor throw it in and go about your way. Or depending upon how things looked I would tear motor down new cam new lifters main/rod bearings chain pump ect and run it!!.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear. Just don’t let anyone try and sell you a Jasper rebuild. They seem to have gone downhill the last few years based on reading forums.

Joshua Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the truck has been babied.... a REBUILD MAY NOT BE NECESSARY... i HAD 170,000 ON MY 2004 AND THEY WERE hard MILES... i DRIVE THAT THING LIKE i STOLE IT. i PULLED THE MOTOR AT 170,000 AND REPLACED All my seals and gaskets and I still had the original swirls in the piston tops and cross thatches in the cylinder walls... just check it out good before you spend the extra money on a rebuild. These Hemis are tough... and if mine was still in such good shape after all ive put it through....

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Sorry about not replying sooner. My issue was in 2017. My truck is a 2011, and at the time had about 92,000 miles on it, which was under the 100,000 mile warranty. It was outside the 5 year warranty, but RamCares agreed to fix the truck if I agreed to pay a 10% co-pay. I was very happy to do that, as compared to over $3000.00 out of pocket.

I don't know if RamCares will cover your repair with the miles you have on it, but hey, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

The quote you mentioned is very reasonable, if it's a reputable shop. Check the cost of all the parts you know you will need to replace. If you have any thoughts of adding a few horses, check aftermarket prices, and there is also a kit to do away with the VVT if your so inclined. Good luck.