2013 5.7L Cam/Lifter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kris72079

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A major contributor to lifter failure and subsequent cam damage on these hemi engines (as well as with other late model manufacturers) is the MDS system. Given that you are experiencing a misfire on cyl 4 (P0304) I'd suspect that you have a component in that system beginning to fail as it operates on cylinders 1, 2, 4, & 7 if memory serves. Could be as simple as a failing MDS solenoid, although that should trigger it's own DTC or a failing MDS lifter. You can attempt to prolong the inevitable by immediately manually deactivating your MDS everytime you get in the truck or purchase a programmer to turn it off. With either option you still carry the MDS components with you. A complete MDS delete is the only permanent guaranteed solution for it to remain trouble-free.

OP
OP
Reaper

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A major contributor to lifter failure and subsequent cam damage on these hemi engines (as well as with other late model manufacturers) is the MDS system. Given that you are experiencing a misfire on cyl 4 (P0304) I'd suspect that you have a component in that system beginning to fail as it operates on cylinders 1, 2, 4, & 7 if memory serves. Could be as simple as a failing MDS solenoid, although that should trigger it's own DTC or a failing MDS lifter. You can attempt to prolong the inevitable by immediately manually deactivating your MDS everytime you get in the truck or purchase a programmer to turn it off. With either option you still carry the MDS components with you. A complete MDS delete is the only permanent guaranteed solution for it to remain trouble-free.
Thanks brother, I’ve actually been looking at a MDS delete kit from MMX. Probably going to go that route. I appreciate the info.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA is not the only one having issues with MDS. I don't know if its as bad but GM also has issues with this.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FCA is not the only one having issues with MDS. I don't know if its as bad but GM also has issues with this.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I was just talking to a buddy of mine yesterday about GM burning up pistons with their cylinder deactivation system . He's got a close friend who's a tech at a Chevy dealer and says they get one in on a weekly basis with issues similar to this or other issues caused by the cylinder deactivation system ....I believe he said it's mainly on the 5.3[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kris72079

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just talking to a buddy of mine yesterday about GM burning up pistons with their cylinder deactivation system . He's got a close friend who's a tech at a Chevy dealer and says they get one in on a weekly basis with issues similar to this or other issues caused by the cylinder deactivation system ....I believe he said it's mainly on the 5.3[emoji848]

GM has very similar issues with their DoD system as it is very similar in operation. It is mainly on the 5.3 because it is specific to the 5.3 ;)

kris72079

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks brother, I’ve actually been looking at a MDS delete kit from MMX. Probably going to go that route. I appreciate the info.
As soon as I return from deployment I will be doing the MDS delete on mine as well using the MMX complete setup. My 2010 has just over 70k miles and has shown signs of issue since around 55k. I will be doing a complete write up on here, but that is still a few months off.

demon3404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know that I agree that MDS is the issue, if it was then only MDS cylinders would have this issue. My failure was on cylinder number 3, non-MDS cylinder. Based on pictures I see and what my lifter looks like it's a week point on these lifters, my guess is the bearing that the roller is on. Mine isn't the only one I've seen in posts online that had failures on non-MDS lifters.

The lifter part number has changed with Chrysler and the lifters are on back order which tells me they are redesigning them. The MDS delete kits I saw when looking for parts used the Hellcat lifters which have a much larger roller and bearing on the lifters. I could be wrong but with the general hate for MDS I see it would be easy for people to jump to that being the issue.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Wow. I'll take a cam/lifter replacement over burnt pistons any day...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't know that I agree that MDS is the issue, if it was then only MDS cylinders would have this issue. My failure was on cylinder number 3, non-MDS cylinder. Based on pictures I see and what my lifter looks like it's a week point on these lifters, my guess is the bearing that the roller is on. Mine isn't the only one I've seen in posts online that had failures on non-MDS lifters.

The lifter part number has changed with Chrysler and the lifters are on back order which tells me they are redesigning them. The MDS delete kits I saw when looking for parts used the Hellcat lifters which have a much larger roller and bearing on the lifters. I could be wrong but with the general hate for MDS I see it would be easy for people to jump to that being the issue.
There are other threads on this forum stating that its usually non MDS lifters failing.

OP
OP
Reaper

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I let this thread go dead for so long...I was on hiatus. Anyways, I’m back and still have the same issue. Truck starts, rough idles for a bit (30sec?) on cold start only, then runs really good virtually perfect....until the next cold start.

I’ve used my Diablosport T-1000 to clear the P0304 Cylinder 4 – Misfire Detected code....just to see if it comes back and it does.

I still think the P0304 relates to a faulty lifter, and may have begun wearing into the cam.

I’m in Texas, Dallas/Fort Worth area and I need to get this fixed. Dodge dealer and FCA were worthless on this issue...so. I’m looking for a good reputable business that I can take my truck to, have them troubleshoot then, fix.

I don’t have time/space/tools etc, to dig any further into the misfire/lifter issue myself, and I would like any business suggestions that I can get for places that are knowledgeable hemi engine experts in the DFW area and would work with a custom tuner. (If I must replace the cam, I’m going to upgrade and would want that paired with my existing bolt ons and custom tuned).

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Reaper

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I spoke with Jay, he doesn't do the installation anymore...just orders parts and does tuning via phone/email.

If my truck needs a cam, I will most likely go thru Jay for parts and custom tuning.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Yeah I spoke with Jay, he doesn't do the installation anymore...just orders parts and does tuning via phone/email.

If my truck needs a cam, I will most likely go thru Jay for parts and custom tuning.

ah bummer. did he recommend someone atleast?

OP
OP
Reaper

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well for $$ sake, this is about the best that could happen.

I called a local shop here in the DFW area (shout out to Bevil Automotive in North Richland hills). The owner Craig Bevil, was pretty confident the issue wasn’t lifter/cam failure, but most likely an injector.

I swapped the injector ($60) and she runs like a top!!

I will be swinging by to bless Mr. Bevil (monetarily) for his keen insight. And he will get all of my business in the future!!

For all those having any issue...run all the traps, especially the cheap ones before accepting the doom and gloom!