2013 RAM 1500 3.6l No cranking not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Ram 3.6 l with 160k miles it ran fine until one time it didn't. I can use the key to open the truck the radio turns on when the key is in the ignition on position 2, when I am trying to start the truck I can hear and feel the starter relay engaging in the TIPM it is clicking but it doesn't crank. I checked the power to the starter and it doesn't get power. I checked the fuses and fuel pump ECM/PCM injectors and starter do not get power with the ignition on. I also bypassed the starter relay and the starter works, I bypassed the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump works. I am not sure if ABS malfunction can stop power delivery to the rest of the car.
Anyway I get 3 codes U010000 -Lost communication with ECM/PCM and U141500. I m using a foxwell obd scanner. When I go into the module testing I also get an ABS fault but no code. I erased the codes and they all came back including the ABS one. The ECM is good, I got a new one reprogrammed to the VIN from Flagship one inc. I got an used TIPM from junkyard swapped it and I have the same symptoms. The battery is fine though, once you try to crank the engine the voltage goes a little down and if leaving it on ignition the relays get a little warm to the touch. I have no darn idea what it could be or how to identify the issue. I also am not sure what the sequence of activating different components is so I can go and check following the power activation.
Can you guys give me any idea...

IMG_20200418_170306.jpg IMG_20200418_170408.jpg IMG_20200418_170519.jpg

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Did you check the battery? The same thing happens when the sensors tell the truck there isn't enough power to start I believe...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Wizard

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check the battery? The same thing happens when the sensors tell the truck there isn't enough power to start I believe...

Yes the battery is fine, I checked the voltage and it is at 13.3 I also took the battery of my other car and tried with it same thing happens same codes and faults.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes the battery is fine, I checked the voltage and it is at 13.3 I also took the battery of my other car and tried with it same thing happens same codes and faults.
There is a sensor on it. I wonder if it being bad could cause the same issues? There was a recent discussion about using AlfaOBD to get battery health. Maybe that diagnostic could help you?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

OP
OP
Wizard

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a sensor on it. I wonder if it being bad could cause the same issues? There was a recent discussion about using AlfaOBD to get battery health. Maybe that diagnostic could help you?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

I think for this the truck should start regardless. I cannot start it at all, all accessories w ork lights horn windows, mirrors radio restraints etc. Being electronic shifter I cannot put it in any gear so it is stuck on P, when I turn the key in the ignition the relays click but there is no cranking... no power to the ECM fuse. I am stil thinking it could be the TIPM but I have no clue how to check it ... If I could find a similar truck I could swap my tipm and see if it runs but I don't now anyone with the same truck around.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think for this the truck should start regardless. I cannot start it at all, all accessories w ork lights horn windows, mirrors radio restraints etc. Being electronic shifter I cannot put it in any gear so it is stuck on P, when I turn the key in the ignition the relays click but there is no cranking... no power to the ECM fuse. I am stil thinking it could be the TIPM but I have no clue how to check it ... If I could find a similar truck I could swap my tipm and see if it runs but I don't now anyone with the same truck around.
Possible but if I understand it right all of those things would work (because your battery is good) BUT if the sensor is faulty it will prevent your truck from starting because all of the starting conditions can be met.

I could be completely wrong though. The sensor I'm referring to is on the negative battery post.

Here's a video discussing it. This guy is a 3.6L expert...

OP
OP
Wizard

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Possible but if I understand it right all of those things would work (because your battery is good) BUT if the sensor is faulty it will prevent your truck from starting because all of the starting conditions can be met.

I could be completely wrong though. The sensor I'm referring to is on the negative battery post.

Here's a video discussing it. This guy is a 3.6L expert...

Thank you for the video I watched it but none of my codes come near the issue the video is talking about. Keep in mind that I do get power to the TIPM, I just don't see any power to the ECU/PCM fuse. I am assuming that once the PCM gets power it will start the starter, injectors, fuel pump etc. I would check if I get power to the PCM itself but I have no clue which is the correct wire . I would like to rule out the TIPM if you have any idea of how to do that without the dealer scanner that would be great.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yikes. I wouldn't keep throwing parts at it until I pulled a factory wiring diagram and figure out where/how power should be routed with the ignition on, start mode, etc.

Maybe you've been all through that..

Check some of South main auto's videos on the tube. Eric O is amazing with this exact kind of thing. I've learned a ton from his stuff.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you for the video I watched it but none of my codes come near the issue the video is talking about. Keep in mind that I do get power to the TIPM, I just don't see any power to the ECU/PCM fuse. I am assuming that once the PCM gets power it will start the starter, injectors, fuel pump etc. I would check if I get power to the PCM itself but I have no clue which is the correct wire . I would like to rule out the TIPM if you have any idea of how to do that without the dealer scanner that would be great.
Unfortunately I only have one more idea as I don't know much more about the power distribution system.

Have you tried a different key? I think these trucks perform a security handshake with the FOB at startup as one of the conditions to satisfy.

OP
OP
Wizard

Wizard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I got it. I. got the wiring diagrams from alldatadiy and measured the side PCM power, it has none (not a surprise since there is no power on fuse 72-PCM ) however, I do get power on fuse 74-78 which are on the same power line coming through the 40A 07 fuse, in between fuse 07 amd 72 there are two micro relays (board soldered relays) relay starter solenoid 1 seems to be working since I get power to fuse 74 but relay starter solenoid 2 appears to be DOA since there is no power to fuse 72 on the same switched power with fuse 72 is the starter output which explains why there is no power to the starter plug. I guess I am in for a new TIPM at this point

Jworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2015 ram did this after hitting a large dip in the road. did the TIPM fix it? I have airbag lights, electronic braking system faults and the only code i got is ECM PCM not communicating.