2013 Ram 1500 3.6L Overheating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Hello All,
I need some help on this issue or maybe a link on a previous thread. My truck was slowly overheating, I was smelling coolant but not seeing any leaks. First the top hose was very hot and the bottom hose to the radiator somewhat hot, after keeping an eye on this for two weeks and checking for leaks (no leaks) it completely overheated, changed thermostat but no joy. The thermostat was good. Now, the top hose is very hot and the bottom hose to the radiator cold. Could this be my water pump? no leaks or noise. Also oil looks good and no smoke or steam from tailpipe. This truck has 120K miles. Any advise will help. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Radiator could be plugged. Did you bleed all the air from the system when you did the thermostat? If not you’re going to have air pockets. Is the fan coming on?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Under what type of driving conditions does it overheat? Is the E-fan working? Not sure if active grille shutters were a thing in 2013, but if so, are they open? Any codes?

There's a lot of potential coolant leak sources on our trucks. The bypass valve under the hood. The ATF heater on the trans. The oil cooler assy that's built into the base of the oil filter housing, etc..

What is the dash showing in terms of coolant temp?

OP
OP
IYAOYAS

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have not flushed the radiator yet. I’ll do that first thing tomorrow. Also I will tell the mechanic to bleed the system, the e-fans work and I only drive 15 miles to work there and back all highway. There are no codes

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cooling system pump sucks from bottom hose and pushes hot coolant thru top hose to rad. If the bottom hose is cold the radiator is blocked.
I hope your heads aren't warped after overheat.

OP
OP
IYAOYAS

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I hope not, I didn’t let it get that hot, stopped truck at 242 degrees

OP
OP
IYAOYAS

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Well here's the update, flushed the system and changed the water pump. Did not see and gunk in radiator but everything is good now. Did not see anything unusual on water pump but didn't not turn the impeller while spinning the pulley. All is good !!! Thanks for the advice everyone!