2013 RAM 1500 3.6L P0128

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Hello everyone,

Looking for some help here. My truck is throwing the P0128 code for engine cooling. My truck doesn't run hot, it usually stays around 195. Clearing the code will keep the CEL from popping for a few days then it comes right back. Should I go ahead and change the thermostat? Also can anyone tell me the difference between the 68322748AA (MOPAR Thermostat for the RAM) and the 5184651AH (MOPAR thermostat for the other models with the 3.6L)? The price difference between the two is huge.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Try a new coolant temp sensor. As for your other question, I haven’t the slightest idea, sorry.

Bill Martin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same issue. The dealer wants $250 for the thermostat, and I cant find a replacement online for a reasonable price. I'm in Canada, and most of the ones I find are not compatible with a 2013 ram. Not even sure if it will even fix the p0128 code constantly coming on in the last month or so. It is a thermostat code though...

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have the exact same issue. The dealer wants $250 for the thermostat, and I cant find a replacement online for a reasonable price. I'm in Canada, and most of the ones I find are not compatible with a 2013 ram. Not even sure if it will even fix the p0128 code constantly coming on in the last month or so. It is a thermostat code though...

How old is the coolant?

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Bill Wiabwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,

Looking for some help here. My truck is throwing the P0128 code for engine cooling. My truck doesn't run hot, it usually stays around 195. Clearing the code will keep the CEL from popping for
a few days then it comes right back. Should I go ahead and change the thermostat? Also can anyone tell me the difference between the 68322748AA (MOPAR Thermostat for the RAM) and the 5184651AH (MOPAR thermostat for the other models with the 3.6L)? The price difference between the two is huge.

Did you figure this one out?
I’m having the same problem

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That code appears to mean that the engine is taking too long to get to operating temperature.

Compares IAT and ECT sensor readings to do this. So confirming the IAT is working correctly may play a part.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P0128 is almost always caused by a faulty thermostat. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever seen it not be caused by a thermostat.
Agree with tach tech. P0128 99% of the time is caused by a fault thermostat.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I have the same problem and they changed the thermostat and after a few days the same refrigerant code happened again

Johnny72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same code. It actually started after the dealer did a pcm reflash for a recall. I had the dealer repeat the reflash and the code came right back on. I also replaced the thermostat, and replaced the ECT sensor and it still comes right back on. I can reset the code, and usually within 10 miles, it is right back on.

OP
OP
South86

South86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I ended up getting a new MOPAR thermostat and changing it out myself and flushing my coolant. Code hasn't came back, it looked like my original thermostat wasn't closing all the way so coolant was constantly running.

Johnny72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which thermostat part number did you end up going with? Did you go back with oem coolant as well? Thanks for the reply.

Jeff Strizek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to replace my thermostat on my 13 back in 2017 and yeah its crazy how expensive it is. turned into a cluster F**K. bought new hoses and Thermostat from Advanced Auto and proceded to tear into it. took the Thermostat housing off and looked at it and saw instantly that advanced sold me the wrong part. Also couldnt really figure out how to remove the thermostat from the housing. took new part and old parts with me to Advanced. ******* at the store (same guy who sold it to me a couple days earlier) looks up the part and goes well yeah thats the wrong number, the part you need isnt available. long story short after trips to multiple partrs stores the guy at NAPA informs me that the part isnt available as an after market part yet. That its a Integrated Thermostat housing (housing and Thermostrat are all a single unit) and the only way to get one is from the dealer. so $180 and a week with my truck on jackstands later i was able to complete what should be a one hour, $10 job. Gotta love engenieers.

Micromack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had 3 thermostats(all aftermarket bought from different stores local and online over past 2 years) and replaced the ect and air intake sensor. P0128 still shows up. Did a radiator replace and flush last week so new coolant as well. What’s the trick to getting rid of p0128 once and for all? 2013 ram 3.6l.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’d probably try an OE thermostat. I do t think I’ve ever worked on a 3.6 with a P0128 that wasn’t caused by a thermostat.